• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How not to get the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heis3335

SignTech
Please tell me there is an "April fools" reply heading our way soon. What potential employee would show up 5 minutes late for an interview, they were given a second chance at? Really? You're seriously going to take the late guys side, the one that wanted a job, but not bad enough to leave 15 minutes early? The only possible answer can be "April fools"

WildWestDesigns

I have been yelled at by bosses, and fellow employers... the last time I have been yelled like that was over the phone by a vendor's project manager. The whole office could hear him. My first reaction was to go there and rip his lungs out through his butt, but since I represent the boss and the client and a 500k dollar job, I kept my mouth shut, I told him to call me when he cooled down, then when he called back told him we needed to figure out a solution without getting personal. He apologized, his boss and the salesman also did (they could hear it too), and I had already forgotten about it. Why? It's still the bosses problem. But I did have to walk it off to get back my perspective.

My dad had a client that would fire people a couple of times a year when he would blow up. Always called them back up and "re-hired" them. No apology though. Sometimes that's the game that has to be played.

Even though "blowing up" can be a tactic in certain circumstances if not over used, but to me it's a sign of losing cool and that means whatever situation your in, you've lost it. Whether right or wrong, doesn't matter.

jiarby

Is that all we have? That is just in the last hour...

It is one thing to spell a word wrong now and then... but that is not what you are doing.

You use the completely wrong word because it is phonetically similar to the word you REALLY meant to use.

cancellation instead of consolation
advise instead of advice
formaly (even then spelled wrong) instead of formerly

I am not picking on your spelling. I am pointing out that you often cannot type the word you are thinking. That is a cognitive malfunction.

What that means about you is up to each individual reader to decide..

At the very least it dilutes the impact of whatever you are trying to communicate and could lead someone that does not know you to believe that you are less intelligent than you want to sound.

If you were half as good at arguing a topic (for or against) as you are at getting your magnifying glass out to spell check

I think we covered the OP's story pretty effectively. Guy was late twice, then went nuts when the boss called him out about it. You took the side that the BOSS was wrong. (You said he was condescending & rude)... Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. Even if you do not like the melody, the lyrics are correct. He WAS late twice and DID have 24hrs to figure it out. He cracked when the boss challenged him about it and lost the opportunity of employment that he was seeking because of his emotional instability.

Let's hear your argument on behalf of the dumbass job applicant.

S

SignTech

SignTech
Please tell me there is an "April fools" reply heading our way soon. What potential employee would show up 5 minutes late for an interview, they were given a second chance at? Really? You're seriously going to take the late guys side, the one that wanted a job, but not bad enough to leave 15 minutes early? The only possible answer can be "April fools"

... I wasn't standing there to hear the tone ... I just read the description of what happened. What stood out was he apologized, he voiced twice he had a hard time finding the place, and that the OP said the place was hard to find admittedly, and that he was a good candidate.

I don't condone cursing or carrying on like he "allegedly" did ... I can see that would potentially scare people. Like I said maybe he was a NUT ......... maybe not ...... but if it where me in that same position ... I would have not said "you had 24 hours to find the place" ...

I would have said simply, "did you have a hard time finding us again today?" ... I am sorry to hear that ........ come on in and let's talk ... even if I thought something seemed off ...... at least his time was validated ...

Clearly he had/has hot head potential ..... but maybe he would not have? ...... again I wasn't there ... he made the effort, showing up 5 minutes late shouldn't be big deal... a half hour? yes. That's my stance ...

No boss, owner or any other professional should bait him, or deduce him at that moment ..... give him the interview ... and send a no thank you letter if he doesn't fit. That's how I roll ........ sure sounds like Big Dawgs boss was pissed or whatever .......... but that's what the fore brain is for ... professional control.

But not being there it's hard to know, how it all went down. Again a different take on it. I am not in the majority, and that's OK.

No, I don't condone being late for interviews at all ........... always 15 minutes early, however never more then 30 minutes early ...... makes you look like a dog in heat, that's hasn't had it in years ...... to overzealous ...

Sorry no April fools .......... :toasting:

S

SignTech

cancellation instead of consolation
advise instead of advice
formaly (even then spelled wrong) instead of formerly

I am not picking on your spelling. I am pointing out that you often cannot type the word you are thinking. That is a cognitive malfunction.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on your posts, will see if you ever make a mistake or two.

Cognitive malfunction lol ........... for the record Formaly was intentional ... but I wasn't going to state it to not offend anyone ....... 'Form-ah-leee' .. in a yahoo sounding way ........ I was playing around ... at the time.

You honestly think I meant cancellation for consolation? That's called typing and talking on the stupid phone at the same time as in multitasking ..... hence an error lol ...... I can guarantee your perfection is not near what you want us to believe it is ....... none of us have that capability.

jiarby

We cannot direct the Wind, but we can adjust the Sails.
Formerly ISAG <-- Thank You Jiarby or whatever it is ... spelled correctly now.

You are welcome... My user name "Jiarby" is my initials spelled (ironically in this situation) phonetically. G-R-B

like he "allegedly" did
Do you say "allegedly" because you mean that there is no evidence to indicate that is actually what happened (beyond the eye witness OP post)... Also, why is allegedly in quotes?

No boss, owner or any other professional should bait him, or deduce him at that moment

I am trying to think of a word that is phonetically similar to deduce so I can figure out what you meant here...

jiarby

I'll be sure to keep an eye on your posts, will see if you ever make a mistake or two.

I may spell things wrong now and then, I am pretty dyslexic with the keyboard. BUT I doubt that you will catch me using a word completely out of context as you do.

for the record Formaly was intentional
If you meant to communicate that your user name used to be ISAG then you used the incorrect word. AND, even then, you spelled it wrong. Formally has two L's.

You honestly think I meant cancellation for consolation?
I am sure you meant "consolation"... but that is not what you wrote. Taken as a one-off mistake I would not think it was a big deal...

BUT..

You have done it frequently. That means that it is not as random as you want it to seem. It is a pattern.

It is OK to make mistakes... but you do not have to defend them so vigorously.

I can guarantee your perfection is not near what you want us to believe it is

When did I claim to be perfect?? I didn't. I do not have be perfect to comment that you have written poorly.

Come on... Take your own advice and adjust your sails when you find yourself in bad wind.

S

SignTech

Do you say "allegedly" because you mean that there is no evidence to indicate that is actually what happened (beyond the eye witness OP post)... Also, why is allegedly in quotes?

I am trying to think of a word that is phonetically similar to deduce so I can figure out what you meant here...

ahhh .......... so you're pissed possibly, that I would question the OP's eye witness account ... I question ANY accusations that are put forth in any situation ... this is why I never fit in with MOB mentality.

This is what makes one a good potential juror. Everything is "alleged" especially in a chat forum. 80% of all communications is body language, not written words or even spoken words ........ I wasn't there to see what went down completely.

The potential applicant most likely already felt stupid for not finding the place and being late, the "bosses" comment solidified that, and can deduce the applicants self worth even more. Hope this helps explain ... example #1 - reaching a conclusion that the applicant is stupid, or a moron for being late ... although I don't think there was good reasoning ... for the "boss" to make that comment.

de·duce (d
ibreve.gif
-d
oomacr.gif
s
prime.gif
, -dy
oomacr.gif
s
prime.gif
)tr.v. de·duced, de·duc·ing, de·duc·es 1. To reach (a conclusion) by reasoning.
2. To infer from a general principle; reason deductively: deduced from the laws of physics that the new airplane would fly.
3. To trace the origin or derivation of.

jiarby

ahhh .......... so you're pissed possibly, that I would question the OP's eye witness account ... I question ANY accusations that are put forth in any situation ... this is why I never fit in with MOB mentality.

If I were pissed it would be an indication that I cared somehow about what you thought one way or another. I don't. I am just having fun pushing your buttons because I can.

You like to argue for fun. So do I.

Except in this case you chose to defend the moron. Maybe you felt like you could identify with the stupid applicant, which I can appreciate now, and felt the need to stand up for your kindred spirit against the evil oppression of employers that want applicants to be on time. You flinch like a dog beaten for years with a broom by an abusive owner... when I was just reaching for the broom to sweep the floor.

No boss, owner or any other professional should bait him, or deduce him at that moment

Tell me again how the boss can "deduce him"?? I know what the word means, which is why I was so confused by your wildly incorrect use of it in this context.

You cannot deduce someone. You do not do it TO them (as you wrote).

You can deduce things about them based on their appearance and actions.

I think you meant that the boss should not have judged him, or passed judgement that he was stupid (although I believe that he had enough information to make that judgement... err... maybe you would prefer "deduction")

You could say:
"Based on his actions the boss deduced that the applicant was a moron"
but not:
"The boss should not deduce him"

Your use of the word is incorrect, which lowers the quality of your argument. What you wrote does not communicate what you meant.

From now on let's refer this kind of communication mangling as an "ISAG-ism"

S

SignTech

If I were pissed it would be an indication that I cared somehow about what you thought one way or another. I don't. I am just having fun pushing your buttons because I can.

You like to argue for fun. So do I.

Except in this case you chose to defend the moron. Maybe you felt like you could identify with the stupid applicant, which I can appreciate now, and felt the need to stand up for your kindred spirit against the evil oppression of employers that want applicants to be on time. You flinch like a dog beaten for years with a broom by an abusive owner... when I was just reaching for the broom to sweep the floor.

Tell me again how the boss can "deduce him"?? I know what the word means, which is why I was so confused by your wildly incorrect use of it in this context.

You cannot deduce someone. You do not do it TO them (as you wrote).

You can deduce things about them based on their appearance and actions.

I think you meant that the boss should not have judged him, or passed judgement that he was stupid (although I believe that he had enough information to make that judgement... err... maybe you would prefer "deduction")

You could say:
"Based on his actions the boss deduced that the applicant was a moron"
but not:
"The boss should not deduce him"

Your use of the word is incorrect, which lowers the quality of your argument. What you wrote does not communicate what you meant.

From now on let's refer this kind of communication mangling as an "ISAG-ism"

Based on your 'deductions' you clearly understood my position completely, despite my not being as intelligent as you or err as you project. Cool.

I am rarely beaten ... especially with a broom ...... lol ...

XX

Bigdawg

Just Me
Well this thread has certainly taken an odd turn.... I never knew what I posted would become so controversial!

SignTech- my eyewitness account was pretty accurate - although I didn't put in ALL the cusswords he bandied about... just not sure why you'd think I was a lyin' SOB... or why I wouldn't be insulted when you call me one... but in reality? what you think really doesn't matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.