• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to return Roland Printer

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I was going to post a rant about this particular vendor but didn't know if it would be ethical of me to name them. I've had similar issues, ALWAYS an excuse. I've purchased 4 roland printers from them in the last 10 years and when I ask for parts or service, I feel like I'm burdening him.

I asked if they could come by and address issues I'm having with a printer that I just paid the lease off of. His response was, "We are extremely busy right now and have very few parts to share. Can we wait a few more weeks?"

I don't mind paying a professional to fix issues with our printers but not him anymore, I'd rather try and fix it myself.

Is there another Roland tech/sales in the Wisconsin area? I was led to believe that we have to use Up and Running. I've been happy with Roland but I think I'm going to give HP a shot next time around. Unfortunately, the printers that I have are going to need new print heads in the near future and I'm not sure I'm confident enough to tackle that. I WON"T call Up and Running.

klingsdesigns

I was going to post a rant about this particular vendor but didn't know if it would be ethical of me to name them. I've had similar issues, ALWAYS an excuse. I've purchased 4 roland printers from them in the last 10 years and when I ask for parts or service, I feel like I'm burdening him.

I asked if they could come by and address issues I'm having with a printer that I just paid the lease off of. His response was, "We are extremely busy right now and have very few parts to share. Can we wait a few more weeks?"

I don't mind paying a professional to fix issues with our printers but not him anymore, I'd rather try and fix it myself.

Is there another Roland tech/sales in the Wisconsin area? I was led to believe that we have to use Up and Running. I've been happy with Roland but I think I'm going to give HP a shot next time around. Unfortunately, the printers that I have are going to need new print heads in the near future and I'm not sure I'm confident enough to tackle that. I WON"T call Up and Running.

Midwest sign out of Minnesota and far from normal can service Roland in Wisconsin. We are using Midwest sign for now on for warranty work.

klingsdesigns

I never call someone out in public but when they take the 20 grand and basically say I’m done dealing with you and don’t follow through on things they say. Then I think it’s good for future people to know so they don’t end up getting bad service as well.

klingsdesigns

So I am super confused. Got the new printer coming monday and having techs come tuesday to install. Dealing with roland only. Get a call from my dealer in the last hour. Trying to offer me up a vg640 for same price. He wants to cancel my shipment of the new one and send a vg640. Same price. Does this not seem weird? Had to make a decision quick. Like maybe he would ship one he has or something? The phone call was so weird and I didnt want to mess with my delivery date and set up so i said would just keep the one coming. Maybe he was trying to be nice and give me a better deal i dont know. Seemed irritated when I said no.

equippaint

probably getting pressure from roland about the situation so hes trying to butter you up
or they feel that you will have more problems and want to end it now. I think we are all a bit unfair with equipment dealers. They don't stand to gain anything by being difficult with you, the manufacturer is the one that dictates what they do in order to get paid. Some dealers are just better at framing and fighting the warranty case. It's tough to fault them for not wanting to lose money for problems that are not self inflicted and its not like they are making a mint selling these machines either.

Last edited:

klingsdesigns

or they feel that you will have more problems and wants to end it now. I think we are all a bit unfair with equipment dealers. They don't stand to gain anything by being difficult with you, the manufacturer is the one that dictates what they do in order to get paid. Some dealers are just better at framing and fighting the warranty case. It's tough to fault them for not wanting to lose money for problems that are not self inflicted and its not like they are making a mint selling these machines either.

He did state that i wont be happy with the 54 and the 64 seemed like it had another fan maybe for vacuum? Just was weird how it seemed he was pressuring me. Felt like i was getting setup. I did ask him if he knew of problems with the 54 that i didnt and that was way he wanted to get me a 64.

equippaint

He did state that i wont be happy with the 54 and the 64 seemed like it had another fan maybe for vacuum? Just was weird how it seemed he was pressuring me. Felt like i was getting setup. I did ask him if he knew of problems with the 54 that i didnt and that was way he wanted to get me a 64.
I'm with ya here. Like they are setting you up to wash their hands of any problems.
I was just replying in general based on what I used to see working for construction equipment dealers. No doubt there are many bad ones out there that should be called out. At the end of the day, you go to bat for the customer and not the manufacturer. If they wont stand behind the product they make, drop them and pick up a new line.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I too would be skeptical.. without a clear explanation and the pressure sounds fishy.

Would be a different story if they came out and said, "Hey, we're learning that these machines have been causing problems, and I hate that you went though all this, so we'll like to just get you into a 64" and eliminate any future pitfalls of the smaller ones"

Mainframe

I would have found out if the 64 is in a crate, delivered the same way your 54 was, brand new unopened, if so I would have taken the deal, maybe have him throw in the VP LOL. There are times I would like to print a 5 foot banner but if your laminator is only 54 then you have that issue, also do you have room where you like to have it set up, that is a factor. Tough call, good luck with the new one Monday, As i have mentioned before, my VG basically replaced my VP without issue, been over a year and I just expect it to produce and so far it has.

I bet someone ordered a 64 from your dealer and changed it to 54, he wanted to take your Monday unit and give you the 64 he got stuck with, I bet that's all it was about. I would have to rearrange everything here to make it fit, but I might have gone for it.
Let us know how it all goes Monday

klingsdesigns

I will keep you posted. Printer is supposed to come Monday and techs on Tuesday. I tried asking questions with him on the phone and he said he didn’t have time to talk and be on phone and just needed an answer. Asked if it would throw off the install date and he said f$”- yeah. So I told him to just keep the printer I got coming so I can get something installed ASAP. I don’t need a 64. But sure I’d take it if it was same price. :). Too late now I guess.

ikarasu

The way he talks to you, and saying he doesn't have time to answer simple questions is a red flag, if true. I'm not saying it's not true... Just I wasn't on the conversation, maybe your paraphrasing, or misunderstanding.

If not... That company wouldn't earn a dime from me though. We had an issue with our printer.... The company we bought it from sent our 2 different techs 4 times... Worked directly with seiko to fix it... Flew a tech from Japan on their dime to look at the machine when their techs couldn't fix it, all because we said we were not happy with their answer that we needed to spend 20k on heads and they didn't know why.

The amount of money and time they spent was probably worth a brand new printer.

It did take 2-3 months to decide to buy a new printer. During that time there wasn't a 48 hour period that we didn't get a follow up email or call with what they were doing to try and fix the issue, their back and fourths with the rep... Or just checking how things were. They even offered to do all our printing on their demo machines until we got back up and running.

In the end when it couldn't be fixed without spending 20k... They gave us a heck of a deal on a new printer, and a hefty discount on ink / media for the next year.

Had they told us even once they don't have time to deal with us, and take it or leave it... We'd be gone.

Find a company that supports you. Buy your ink / media from them.... The company your dealing with probably won't be in business long enough to even support you with their attitude.

klingsdesigns

Update- waiting at the shop all day for printer. Find out after 5pm. It’s not coming now till Wednesday. So hopefully it still gets installed this week. Always something.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Update- waiting at the shop all day for printer. Find out after 5pm. It’s not coming now till Wednesday. So hopefully it still gets installed this week. Always something.

Sigh. Was hoping to come back to this thread to see some good news! Fingers crossed that it does actually show up tomorrow and you're back up and running this week.

I've been through this song and dance with Roland printers (not quite to this extent) and completely understand how frustrating it is. In the end they more or less looked after it but I still won't buy another one.

CanuckSigns

it's oddly unsettling how similar our experiences are, we were also severely delayed in getting a replacement printer, the excuse I got was that the upper brass at Roland need to sign off on any replacement they send out, and they weren't convinced it needed to be replaced despite our tech and the Service account manager saying it did. very frustrating, delayed my new printer by almost 2 weeks. during this whole time we were told the printer was on a truck on it's way here and should arrive in 2-4 days.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Before you uncrate it, compare the serial numbers on your paperwork to the one on the machine. Make sure there are no 'E' connected to it. You are supposed to be receiving a brand spanking new piece of equipment. No demo or refurbished model.

Oh, and I'd tell your old distributor to go pound sand. He left you for dead before. He's up to something. He's not your friend.

klingsdesigns

Before you uncrate it, compare the serial numbers on your paperwork to the one on the machine. Make sure there are no 'E' connected to it. You are supposed to be receiving a brand spanking new piece of equipment. No demo or refurbished model.

Oh, and I'd tell your old distributor to go pound sand. He left you for dead before. He's up to something. He's not your friend.
I will check on this. Before roland sent out this newest one i am waiting on. I told them if i have to do a return i want full refund from roland and they can deal with my dealer.

klingsdesigns

Just got a call said they cant install till the 15th. We shall see what happens as I said i want to return since this is getting ridiculous. I understand weather makes a difference for shipping times. But come on. This should have been resolved way before this.