• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion I've owned an HP R1000 since April 2019, ask me anything

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher
Hey all- new here but long time lurker. We are rocking an R2000. Have an order for customized white non glare ADA signs which we intend to flatbed print to first, CNC to shape and then apply tactile and braille. Any suggestions on how to protect the printed portions? It is not the entirety of the sign face, just a couple of the corners. I just don't want the print to get scratched off or flake away. I know solvents will destroy the bite pretty much instantly and these will be outdoors and likely in contact with some hoodlums. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Cut first then print :)

Otherwise, perhaps some masking tape?

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher
Hey guys,

We've decided to sell our R1000 and purchase an R2000. If anyone is interested, feel free to drop me a line or call me @ 785-331-9360

The printer is approximately 14 months old. Even though our HP R1000 is for sale now, we will be waiting until our R2000 is fully up and running before you would be able to pick it up. Asking price is 130,000

We will provide decomission and you can have the crate from our new printer, but shipping costs are the buyer's to cover.

Please find attached out ink consumption and SQFT printed for the last 3 months.

365,496.883 ft² of substrate printed 3 months
150.194 L ink consumed in 3 months
Estimated cost per sqft = $0.045
(this is based on 3 months of printing with 60% of prints being on yard sign/ coroplast @ 3pass)

Majority quality level used (about 60% of total jobs) = 3 pass, 4 color, 70 density (yard signs). I can get 90 double sided 18x24" signs per hour.

Second most used quality level = 4 pass, 6 color, 80 density (for nearly all prints that aren't required to be ultra high quality)

Least used quality level = 6 pass, 6 color = 90-100 density (for high res images & some solid color prints)

Keep in mind you can go up to like 10 or 12 pass. Also on white ink it starts out at a 33 pass.
We hardly ever printed white in the last year. I think I did a single job. We just don't go after that kind of stuff.
33 Pass 54" x 48' length vinyl took approx 45 min to print

3L ink from grimco is $285. There are 8 colors : CMYK, LC, LM, Optimizer, Overcoat (actually 9 if you count white). You must use overcoat and optimizer on every print, though for certain things I profiled my substrate to use less than 5% for each (HP default profiles around 15-20%)

Print head is $460 - We replace @ between 50 and 60,000ml fired. (they are warrantied to 12,000ml). They are solid heads and easy to change out. I could swap one with my eyes closed. For us this was like every 3-4 months. Depends on the color though. Some heads I can get 6 months on them. Typically a print issue can be resolved by a calibration and so no need to replace the head.

R series cleaning kit (basically a paper towel roll & filters) $397 - we have to replace every 2 weeks or so. Good news about this is if you're replacing them it means you're printing which means you're making money. It only uses the roll during printing. Takes about 15 minutes to swap and clean properly.

Sometimes we would have a bad head and if it was under 12,000ml fired, we'd open a case and get a free head. Otherwise, we always kept 2 heads on hand. Remember, HP support and most suppliers are closed on the weekends so better to have your own stock of parts.

The R series beat the pants off the flatbed 550 I had, and the cost savings on ink and heads pretty much made the payment itself.

Our manufacture warranty ends soon. HP offered me a 3 year extended warranty contract for $1445/month (full coverage).

Attachments

• Ink Consumption, May 6 - Aug 5, 2020.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Print Production, May 6 - Aug 5, 2020.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

vLeonard517

ConstantxStatic
Hello, this thread seems pretty active and very informative. If you’re still answering questions about running an R1000 I can probably come up with quite a few. The main one right now is how to print on static cling. What settings do you use if you don’t mind sharing. I haven’t really played with customizing the presets due to being new in the position but I’ve been running the machine for a few months and this was the first time I’ve had an order for cling.

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher
Hello, this thread seems pretty active and very informative. If you’re still answering questions about running an R1000 I can probably come up with quite a few. The main one right now is how to print on static cling. What settings do you use if you don’t mind sharing. I haven’t really played with customizing the presets due to being new in the position but I’ve been running the machine for a few months and this was the first time I’ve had an order for cling.

I will grab a picture of our profile once I get to the shop today, but from memory I know it's identical settings to our generic self adhesive vinyl (we use Briteline series from Grimco)

Ldireprophil

Can the R series print on cotton or cotton/poly blend? I'm wondering how the printer would handle face masks. I would either run the material through from a roll and then cut after printing (or) make my own jig where already precut masks would snap-in and then run through. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would the ink hold up? I know it's suppose to be more flexible than UV.

Ldireprophil

For me, absolutely. Bought a demo unit, received service training to future proof my investment. I can print on anything without any fear of failure or lack of quality.
Did you do the service training at the HP Center in Alpharetta? How much was it and how many days? Definitely worth the investment you'd say?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Can the R series print on cotton or cotton/poly blend? I'm wondering how the printer would handle face masks. I would either run the material through from a roll and then cut after printing (or) make my own jig where already precut masks would snap-in and then run through. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would the ink hold up? I know it's suppose to be more flexible than UV.
I think the material would work just fine but issue is with vacuum. Masks let air through so the vacuum can't hold then down. You will just end up crashing.
Why don't you consider a roll printer?

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher
Yes it can, HP makes a roll of material specifically for this use. Its about $800/roll if i remember right. We bought some one to make table cloths, printed nice. I don't think you could print pre cut masks, unless they were totally flat, better to leave on the roll so you can attach to the take up reel to keep it taught

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher
Did you do the service training at the HP Center in Alpharetta? How much was it and how many days? Definitely worth the investment you'd say?
I did not, but I looked into it. It's in alabama I think and is a 3 day program. Not sure if it's running now with COVID. Also, pretty sure you get a discount on parts after completing it. Could be wrong..

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher
Just wanted to let everyone know in this thread that we loved our R1000 so much we decied to buy the R2000. Our R1 is for sale now

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You could prob do it by attaching to take up reel first with a big front tail
I'll tell you what the two issues are. First you don't really want to use vacuum with porous material or you will have your belt full of ink in no time.
Secondly if you don't use enough vacuum, the movement of material will not work. Belt is the only thing handling the precise moving and if you don't have enough suction if will not move perfectly.
I've tested quite a few strange materials for buyers and I don't see porous mask material working on this printer.

Lunar Graphix

Button Pusher
I'll tell you what the two issues are. First you don't really want to use vacuum with porous material or you will have your belt full of ink in no time.
Secondly if you don't use enough vacuum, the movement of material will not work. Belt is the only thing handling the precise moving and if you don't have enough suction if will not move perfectly.
I've tested quite a few strange materials for buyers and I don't see porous mask material working on this printer.
There’s a maintenance on the r1 to clean the belt every x days. Not a difficult process especially with latex inks. However I agree getting excessive ink on the belt could be bad.

I’m not sure they sale a mesh printable without a backer, but there is a “cloth” material specifically designed for latex and made by HP that could work.

If it’s something unique you want to send through the printer, by all means :) we’ve done a lot of testing on different substrates, often using sleds with double sided tape on top.