• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Opinions

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...Rules limit your creativity. I don't care for them...

This is usually heard from people who have little or no understanding of the fundamental principles of design and typography. Emphasis on the latter. They're not so much rules as guidelines. You cannot have sound design without sound typography. But good typography doesn't assure good design.

As has been noted before, a good analogy is doing music. Cleave to the basic principles and you might have music. Don't and you'll most certainly have noise. Works pretty much the same way with typography.

Back to the logo: Hideous is the first word that comes to mind. An incomprehensible jumble of elements that appears to be desperately trying to look edgy.

Marlene

the front end of the logo is overly complex with way too many shapes. not only is the red thingy overly complex, but all the outline shapes that are created just make it way too over done. the insides of the letter shapes are conflicting. when you only have three letters, it really stands out and could have been edited. the word design falls behind the letters when it starts out and then bumps the edges, looks misplaced and off registration.

OldPaint

25 posts...............talkin to the wind)))) the boy posted a logo, asking for our opinions, and wont even come in here AGAIN)))))))))))))))

NSDdesigns

25 posts...............talkin to the wind)))) the boy posted a logo, asking for our opinions, and wont even come in here AGAIN)))))))))))))))

HAHHAHHAHAH. NOPE, I'm here. I have been enjoying the conversation. The logo is staying as is (for now, I can tweak it later as need but the over all look is this). I like it, my customers like it, the industry that I am catering to, it fits right in with the others, and quite frankly, It's better then a lot of the logos I've seen posted up in this type of format (logo opinions), or so my opinion says.

NSD stands for Never Say Die.

The "swastika" thing on the left side is actually N S and D all on top of each other and conformed to fit in a circler shape. Its the company Icon. In the instances that the logo won't work or fit to the guidelines, the icon can sit in its place.

I do throughly enjoy a good critique. Thanks for the input guys. Any and all opinions are welcomed. I kinda knew that the response was coming thou, I'v read a lot of these types of posts on here. We have a lot of designs aces on here, I guess more so then my 4 years of schooling taught me........

On a side note, here is a logo sample sheet of my "industry" (or the one I want to get involved with) designs style

Attachments

• 375867_260231717357387_186073248106568_680740_1775772144_n.jpg
    375867_260231717357387_186073248106568_680740_1775772144_n.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 102

NSDdesigns

not digging how designs is cutting red into your NSD ... are you attempting to add red tape to the process of getting work done effectively? are you trying to say your designs are dangerous? they are after all cutting your business in half ... what is the other half of your business if the design is cutting it in half? is your company being renamed to NSD N5D Designs? (and yes, the second NSD's S looks like a Five/S combo) if not, why do you have NSD listed twice graphically in your logo? and lastly, why does the NSD you are cutting in half look graphically different from letter to letter?

This one was particularly good. How do you stand to look at any logo? Every curve and turn and shape MUST MEAN SOMETHING!

Marlene

so I see you are a snarky, arrogant dick. take a good look at the logos you posted and you will notice that none have the issues that your logo has. you posted a logo with a ton of issues and then act all nasty when people point them out to you.

NSDdesigns

so I see you are a snarky, arrogant dick. take a good look at the logos you posted and you will notice that none have the issues that your logo has. you posted a logo with a ton of issues and then act all nasty when people point them out to you.

Yeash buddy. Im glad we know each other.

I've never once been an arrogant dick in my life, but for you, I can be i'd you prefer, since you've already made your assumption. I honestly do appreciate the input so far, perhaps you've read into wrong?

And you mean to tell me that of all the logos I posted, if they were new and unknown to the masses, that you would you come on here and say "perfect!". For some reason I highly doubt that.

My logo, just as the ones I compiled for comparison hit the factors that I wanted to match: Have a complimenting icon. Have a limited and complimenting color palette. Be bold. Look sharp.

There are logos in this world that everyone hates, there are those that everyone loves or have grown to love due to consistency and branding. There are those that break the "rules" and do it well. You cant win them all. All I'm saying is for now......my logo is what it is. I take all things into consideration thou and perhaps when a revision is necessary things mentioned will be given another look.

Marlene

I do throughly enjoy a good critique. Thanks for the input guys. Any and all opinions are welcomed. I kinda knew that the response was coming thou, I'v read a lot of these types of posts on here. We have a lot of designs aces on here, I guess more so then my 4 years of schooling taught me........

This one was particularly good. How do you stand to look at any logo? Every curve and turn and shape MUST MEAN SOMETHING!

HAHHAHHAHAH. NOPE, I'm here. I have been enjoying the conversation. The logo is staying as is (for now, I can tweak it later as need but the over all look is this). I like it, my customers like it, the industry that I am catering to, it fits right in with the others, and quite frankly, It's better then a lot of the logos I've seen posted up in this type of format (logo opinions), or so my opinion says.

read them back to yourself and ask how they don't sound snarky and arrogant? the dick I threw in for good measure and may have been out of line as snarky and arrogant were enough.

you posted a logo with a ton of problems. people pointed these out to you and that was that. you then posted a pile of logos. when we "design aces" look at a logo, it isn't a like or don't like as you should know from your 4 years of schooling. it is about balance and technique. your logo has some pretty serious issues with both and you don't seem to see that at all. glad you like your logo, have a nice day

HulkSmash

You Said --

Welp, I guess this is a pretty popular thing to do on here. Here's my logo, opinions will be read with a smile.
Lets see what the like minds are feelin on this one.

Then you state -

The logo is staying as is (for now, I can tweak it later as need but the over all look is this). I like it, my customers like it, the industry that I am catering to, it fits right in with the others, and quite frankly, It's better then a lot of the logos I've seen posted up in this type of format (logo opinions), or so my opinion says.

NSD stands for Never Say Die.

The "swastika" thing on the left side is actually N S and D all on top of each other and conformed to fit in a circler shape. Its the company Icon. In the instances that the logo won't work or fit to the guidelines, the icon can sit in its place.
I kinda knew that the response was coming thou, I'v read a lot of these types of posts on here. We have a lot of designs aces on here, I guess more so then my 4 years of schooling taught me........

On a side note, here is a logo sample sheet of my "industry" (or the one I want to get involved with) designs style

NEVER SAY DIE DESIGNS? oh my... what does that have to do with designs? Never say Die designs....yikes

anyways, don't even try to pull the 4 years of schooling. I went to university for design too -- 5.5 years for me though i went through a masters program, in those years i came across some pretty AWFUL designers that still graduated and got their degrees.

And my professors would slap me if i showed them that type face smashed like that with designs inside it -- not to mention you do have 2 logos connected to each other to make 1 -- makes no sense sorry. If you don't want to critique then don't show it to us. If you knew what we were going to say about it -- then you already know it was awful.

NSDdesigns

read them back to yourself and ask how they don't sound snarky and arrogant? the dick I threw in for good measure and may have been out of line as snarky and arrogant were enough.

you posted a logo with a ton of problems. people pointed these out to you and that was that. you then posted a pile of logos. when we "design aces" look at a logo, it isn't a like or don't like as you should know from your 4 years of schooling. it is about balance and technique. your logo has some pretty serious issues with both and you don't seem to see that at all. glad you like your logo, have a nice day

Internet fights are as useless. I'm well aware of balance and technique. I'm just taking the responses of "a ton of issues" and "hideous" with a grain of salt. I also find some comedy in similar type posts, as if no-one makes a mistake/bends the rules and such a persons design/work always follows every guideline and is in a sense perfect......give me a break. Some see a Picasso, some see a child's painting. As I stated from the get go, I'm rolling with this logo, just wanted to see what you all think of it, I guess it was a swing and a miss in the majorities eyes on here with my composition and choice of elements. I designed and landed this final before I had a chance to get your guy's opinion durring my process. As for now, I'm to vested and have to live with it. Personally, I like it, many others do as well. You can't please everyone. This all being said, I really do appreciated the input from everyone and realize that some of you guys have been doing this stuff for a LONG time, I respect that and value the opinions. All I can do now is take it into consideration going forward.

NSDdesigns

NEVER SAY DIE DESIGNS? oh my... what does that have to do with designs? Never say Die designs....yikes.

anyways, don't even try to pull the 4 years of schooling. I went to university for design too -- 5.5 years for me though i went through a masters program, in those years i came across some pretty AWFUL designers that still graduated and got their degrees. If you knew what we were going to say about it -- then you already know it was awful.

Never Say Die dosent need to be known by the masses, its just for me, hence why I just took the initials. It has a tie into my already established graphics company, DeadLast Graphix. Its NSD designs to the average joe. Like everyone walking around knows what the initials to popular brands stand for.....nope.

I wasn't trying to pull the 4 years of schooling as any sort of weight. I was mearly trying to say that I indeed did go to a school for design. Where are there are plenty of self-taugh hacks out there attempting to be the next best thing because they made a logo for their church that the grandmas liked.

I do plan to go back and get my masters, and I cograt you on yours, as I had quite a successful time in college for design. Many student award show winnings, designs studio selection, and great grades from stickler teachers. Some valued jobs at industry leading studios and agency's followed. Im not trying to brag by anymeans, just trying to state that I do indeed know what I am doing and have a solid basis to back that up.

And as far as my "I knew what you were going to say about it" comment, it came from the clearly prevalent basis that the commenters on here are hard to please. It's the internet, anyone can hide behind the computer and be a badass. It's the way things are on forums and "leave a comment" type sites, so in a sense I had a notion as to what was to follow.

HulkSmash

Never Say Die dosent need to be known by the masses, its just for me, hence why I just took the initials. It has a tie into my already established graphics company, DeadLast Graphix. Its NSD designs to the average joe. Like everyone walking around knows what the initials to popular brands stand for.....nope.

I wasn't trying to pull the 4 years of schooling as any sort of weight. I was mearly trying to say that I indeed did go to a school for design. Where are there are plenty of self-taugh hacks out there attempting to be the next best thing because they made a logo for their church that the grandmas liked.

I do plan to go back and get my masters, and I cograt you on yours, as I had quite a successful time in college for design. Many student award show winnings, designs studio selection, and great grades from stickler teachers. Some valued jobs at industry leading studios and agency's followed. Im not trying to brag by anymeans, just trying to state that I do indeed know what I am doing and have a solid basis to back that up.

And as far as my "I knew what you were going to say about it" comment, it came from the clearly prevalent basis that the commenters on here are hard to please. It's the internet, anyone can hide behind the computer and be a badass. It's the way things are on forums and "leave a comment" type sites, so in a sense I had a notion as to what was to follow.

that's silly. Go look at thread with good logos ( HERE'S ONE)
no one is hiding behind a monitor and saying anything bad, just pure honesty.

Dead Last GraphiX? Really? As in last place.. with graphics spelled wrong?

You should consider positioning -- Another thing learned in college. Find the best way to position yourself above the competition. Nothing really about design, just marketing and advertising techniques. Not sure that name helps with that.

not trying to be rude just really trying to help you. By the way your website doesn't exist

xxaxx

You are just like all the rest of the people that post horrible logos on here and want "opinions" ... nothing anybody says will change your mind even though everybody is giving incredibly sound advice about why your logo sucks.

The people on this board are so hard to please because they have been doing it forever and know good designs when they see it. Go look at the quantum design logo that was posted last week and you will see that everybody loved it and thought it was a great design. When you get it right you will hear it on here ... but keep posting **** like that and you will get the replies that you "expected".

NSDdesigns

that's silly. Go look at thread with good logos ( HERE'S ONE)
no one is hiding behind a monitor and saying anything bad, just pure honesty.

Dead Last GraphiX? Really? As in last place.. with graphics spelled wrong?

You should consider positioning -- Another thing learned in college. Find the best way to position yourself above the competition. Nothing really about design, just marketing and advertising techniques. Not sure that name helps with that.

not trying to be rude just really trying to help you. By the way your website doesn't exist

I agree that quantum logo is great! I'm sure it work for exactly for what they want it for. Would I use it to brand a tire company......no.

DeadLast has a long story behind it and yeah, at first review it seems off, but I positioned it as ironic and used it more as the "never say die" and survival aspect. It took a while but the quality of the product and designs styles won over the name. Yes, I agree that the graphix with the x is tacky now, at the time in 2007 when I made the brand i was young and dumb.

I know you guys are trying to help and I appreciate it.

My website is in the works, should be up within a month or so.

Last edited:

Stuckup

The design looks great, nothing wrong with it AT ALL. Back off all. Except its maybe Generic and does not say or SHOUT what you do. My opinion only, and its probably not worth much. Design a huge Corporation logo, Easy, design your own, freakin hard.

Deaton Design

I might say also, that I meant no disrespect making the swastika comment. I know thats not what it is but it did come to mind when I looked at it. Bottom line, if you are happy with what you design for yourself, thats the only person you have to please. Everyone has different tastes and likes. Looking back on some of my designs years ago, I wonder what I was thinking, lol...