• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Opinions

Marlene

All I can say is that my work has been seen the world over, perhaps even influenced you to buy some of the goods you currently own

name one logo you did that has been seen all over the world and is so mainstream that it influenced someone to buy goods currently owned.

by the way, OP is an old guy but he is also a well respected member of the site. sorry to keep this going but every now and then someone comes along that just rubs everyone the wrong way. you are that person currently. others have come back from being dicks members others respect. the choice is yours. there will always be those who just say it sucks but for the most part, people here where taking a look and pointing out what they saw. most of us went making it personal, only technical. it got personal with the attitude you threw back at those who answered your request for opinions.

xxaxx

Still two logos smooshed together for no reason, but just that small change does make it a 100 times better than it was ... that design tucked behind was just distracting and a poor choice.

NSDdesigns

name one logo you did that has been seen all over the world and is so mainstream that it influenced someone to buy goods currently owned.

by the way, OP is an old guy but he is also a well respected member of the site. sorry to keep this going but every now and then someone comes along that just rubs everyone the wrong way. you are that person currently. others have come back from being dicks members others respect. the choice is yours. there will always be those who just say it sucks but for the most part, people here where taking a look and pointing out what they saw. most of us went making it personal, only technical. it got personal with the attitude you threw back at those who answered your request for opinions.

As far as actuals logos go, unless your familiar with some eastern coast John Deere dealerships, or if your way into jewelry shopping from.......I'll just say americans #1 jewelry store, and stay up on the latest trends in that market, I'm positive you've seen my work. But if were talking actual ads for established brands, yeah, you've seen what I am capable of.

I realize OP has been on here for a long time and has the post count explaining that, but I wasn't the one who drew my sword first. I posted a logo, asked for a critique, then got crapped on, and not just for my logo design! I'm honesty not a dick or any of the other claims that I have been called to this point, I just needed to stand my ground.

Still two logos smooshed together for no reason, but just that small change does make it a 100 times better than it was ... that design tucked behind was just distracting and a poor choice.

They can be pulled apart. Icon and NSD can stand on there own if need be. As with the logos I pulled for my examples/reference sheet, in the industry I would like to position myself, its common practice to include the two together in some form or another.

qmr55

Why so squished? Ever hear of negative space? I think if you space it out a little, organize the elements and get rid of the red "arrow?" type thing that goes through the words you may have a better chance at reviving the design. Also, the words at the bottom just seem out of place like they were an after though. Good luck!

Joe Diaz

Just curious as to why you are unwilling to change it? Is it because you already made the business cards? You know those are pretty cheap to reprint. I don't think your logo is terrible, but I do think it could use some work. I would tell you what I would change, but it doesn't sound like you want to hear it... so I'll respect that.

MatthewTimothy

i dont really understand why he keeps going on?? bad week perhaps?? angry at something and taking it out here?? looking for a fight it seems you are...

:popcorn:

Marlene

I realize OP has been on here for a long time and has the post count explaining that, but I wasn't the one who drew my sword first. I posted a logo, asked for a critique, then got crapped on, and not just for my logo design! I'm honesty not a dick or any of the other claims that I have been called to this point, I just needed to stand my ground.

I get that as when a person feels attacked, they will want to stand their ground. OP has a way of saying things that can sound pretty harsh but there is wisdom once you get past all the )))) and all upper case letters. lets go back to talking logos as this was what it was all about. having the word design embedded in the letters wasn't all that bad of an idea. what made it look bad was that it looked off registration like it was suppose to be alll within the white space but slipped down so some was and some of it wasn't. there is nothing wrong with doing something different. what is wrong is when it looks off and unintended. I'd like to see your original design reworked and the simple little things tweaked out. when doing outlines, thre are times when weird shapes get created and I think the front end of the logo has some of that going on and it makes it too complex. add that to a complex red icon and it just looked over done.

Attachments

• designs.jpg
    designs.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 97

NSDdesigns

Just curious as to why you are unwilling to change it? Is it because you already made the business cards? You know those are pretty cheap to reprint. I don't think your logo is terrible, but I do think it could use some work. I would tell you what I would change, but it doesn't sound like you want to hear it... so I'll respect that.

Well, I have business cards, a website in the works, shirts and hats made, some branded shirts out to customers, track side banners and a few other odds and ends out there.

I do want to hear your opinons, thats why I posted up here! I just stated from the get go, I'm to vested to change it MUCH, doesn't mean I can't tweak it some.

1/2-4CR3

When you have to name-drop to justify your work, it means nothing. People have paid big money for crap before. Plus your red/white logo, makes you look like a nazi.

Joe Diaz

It seems like a person's background is an important part of whether you take their critique personally. So here it goes. It sounds like I'm about your age, and I didn't go to prestigious design school, but I did go to college, so I don't know if that will factor in. I'm not a huge motocross fan, but I understand the design style.

I know that style and know that you can still achieve that style without sacrificing legibility. The rules that keep being brought up aren't just there for no reason, there is thought and experience behind them. We aren't talking about fine art which can be subjective, we are talking about design which serves a purpose. The style part of the design is subjective, but the basic framework of that design needs to follow basic design rules. It needs to work. Your design doesn't quite work.

For example In most cases, you want try to avoid placing text directly over other text. The reason why is it makes both lines of text difficult to read. Having Design over-top of the "D" makes the "D" hard to interpret, and doesn't give the "design" enough space around it to be effective. I would recommend separating "Design" from "NSD" and making it larger, so it's clearer and easier to make out. It is the service you are offering after all.

Also if you worked more with that red NSD icon and redesigned it to read as "NSD" you could drop the black "NSD" all together. It's a bit redundant to have both and is probably why some are telling you that it looks like two logos crammed together, because it kind of is.

But if you do keep the black "NSD" pay close attention to your negative space, or the space around your text. That space is almost as important to the legibility of your design as the letters themselves. Give them a little room to breath if you can.

Like I said the style of design you are going for is edgy. One might assume that "edgy" means break all the rules, but you can make your design look "edgy" without actually breaking those rules. Some of those brand examples you posted are pretty good. However, some of those brands, despite being attached to a successful businesses, aren't great examples of design. I would imagine the only reason those brands are well known has less to do with the design being well done and more to do with marketing dollars spent pushing it. The difference is you are a company selling design, so you would want your own design to be top notch.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow, basically two pages of great advice, questions and critiques and in those same 60 posts, I now know the complete history and biography of NSD.

He has a lot of great and influential references, just ask him and he'll tell you all about himself.

NSD, you have what it takes to do well in this or any other business, so I wish you well in your ventures. With your ability to know it all before you even ask, is a very good quality in a person.... and you certainly have it. All that combined with your amazing comprehension and talent for stunted meanings of nothingness.... you're one truly amazing artist. You're correct quoting Picasso, as you are truly blessed and in the same league.

As for drawing your sword and getting crapped on.... get used to it. You're gonna get a lot of that with your wee frame of mind.

:U Rock:

And don't let the post count fool ya.... I cheated to get this many. If you took out all the 'Welcome from' posts, I'd be around 1,400 or so.

NSDdesigns

i dont really understand why he keeps going on?? bad week perhaps?? angry at something and taking it out here?? looking for a fight it seems you are...

:popcorn:

Can't a guy try and back himself. Im not one to just get ripped apart and sit there, then shrug it off and stay defeated. If I am wrong I'll admit it, but if I feel strongly about what I am talking about then damn right I am going to speak my peace.

Wow, basically two pages of great advice, questions and critiques and in those same 60 posts, I now know the complete history and biography of NSD.

He has a lot of great and influential references, just ask him and he'll tell you all about himself.

NSD, you have what it takes to do well in this or any other business, so I wish you well in your ventures. With your ability to know it all before you even ask, is a very good quality in a person.... and you certainly have it. All that combined with your amazing comprehension and talent for stunted meanings of nothingness.... you're one truly amazing artist. You're correct quoting Picasso, as you are truly blessed and in the same league.

As for drawing your sword and getting crapped on.... get used to it. You're gonna get a lot of that with your wee frame of mind.

And don't let the post count fool ya.... I cheated to get this many. If you took out all the 'Welcome from' posts, I'd be around 1,400 or so.

Its retards and retarded pointless posts like this that make posting and getting valued feedback so difficult. but to answer some of your questions; NSD is only 4 months old, so I suppose you could learn its "complete history" in a short amount of time if you really cared to do so. I will tell you all about myself if you ask me too, I have nothing to hide and throughly enjoy a good conversation. I'd ask the same to you if I was so intrigued. Everything I have replied too and made comment about I have been asked to state. Not bragging, not boasting, no patting of my back, just giving explanations to the questions asked.

I believe that I will do well with my business as I have the willpower and am willing to learn as I go. I dont know it all and I do like to ask questions, so I will continue to do so, as long as valuable site like this one stick around and I can continue to wean through the useless crap. I dont think Im an amazing or blessed artist, but if your saying I am I'll gladly accept your remark. Picasso and I share only one thing, the willingness to express.

As for getting crapped on and getting used to i, I will, I have but that dosent mean I have to sit there and take it quietly. I hope my weee frame of mind can handle off of this............

It seems like a person's background is an important part of whether you take their critique personally. So here it goes. It sounds like I'm about your age, and I didn't go to prestigious design school, but I did go to college, so I don't know if that will factor in. I'm not a huge motocross fan, but I understand the design style.

I know that style and know that you can still achieve that style without sacrificing legibility. The rules that keep being brought up aren't just there for no reason, there is thought and experience behind them. We aren't talking about fine art which can be subjective, we are talking about design which serves a purpose. The style part of the design is subjective, but the basic framework of that design needs to follow basic design rules. It needs to work. Your design doesn't quite work.

For example In most cases, you want try to avoid placing text directly over other text. The reason why is it makes both lines of text difficult to read. Having Design over-top of the "D" makes the "D" hard to interpret, and doesn't give the "design" enough space around it to be effective. I would recommend separating "Design" from "NSD" and making it larger, so it's clearer and easier to make out. It is the service you are offering after all.

Also if you worked more with that red NSD icon and redesigned it to read as "NSD" you could drop the black "NSD" all together. It's a bit redundant to have both and is probably why some are telling you that it looks like two logos crammed together, because it kind of is.

But if you do keep the black "NSD" pay close attention to your negative space, or the space around your text. That space is almost as important to the legibility of your design as the letters themselves. Give them a little room to breath if you can.

Like I said the style of design you are going for is edgy. One might assume that "edgy" means break all the rules, but you can make your design look "edgy" without actually breaking those rules. Some of those brand examples you posted are pretty good. However, some of those brands, despite being attached to a successful businesses, aren't great examples of design. I would imagine the only reason those brands are well known has less to do with the design being well done and more to do with marketing dollars spent pushing it. The difference is you are a company selling design, so you would want your own design to be top notch.

Thank you Joe. Info and opinions like that are a prime example of why forums like this are a valued asset to those seeking input and answers. Finally something more added to this thread that are worth while. (I mean that in all sincerity. There has been quite a bit of sarcasm in this thread, my remark is not)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh, you hurt my feelings now, calling me a retard and posting retarded posts.

See NSD, it's posts like Joe's and others that truly want to help someone, such as yourself that are so good for this place, but they're wasted on a person like you that thinks calling people retarded or having retarded posts is a waste on someone like you.

There are many people on this thread and in the world that have handicapped children, sisters, brothers or friends... and when you choose such a plain ordinary word to demonstrate your inferior intelligence over another person, without knowing who else is being hurt.... it's times like this.... you are a complete waste and don't deserve a blessed thing.

I have no problems calling someone out, but you're half a bubble short of being plumb, so it won't do any good in your case. Suffice it to say...... good luck, cause you're gonna need it.

ericmitchell29

If J Diaz is giving advice... I'd definitely listen. I think he is one of the most respected artist on here... Some small change and you'll be there and still be happy with your design.

Its hard to hear that changes need to be made... some is preference, but I usually try to find a common thread throughout the posts on here... if one thing keeps coming up as an issue, maybe it should be looked at and changed... disregard the attitudes, there is actually some good advice being given.

vid

Working within your parameters, attached is a sample that mellows the quirks I'm getting with the logo.

attachment.php

In your originals, there's quite a few white lines and notches that break the flow of the layout. This sample attempts to group the parts into pieces that the eye can quickly identify without too many distractions.

Putting the shape around the stacked NSD helps to communicate that it is an icon... perhaps a funky tattoo, an imprimatur, or a chinese symbol reference, that doesn't necessarily need to be translated by your audience.

The sharp red point fits within the NSD black letters to make them more legible from a distance or at scale. Also, by leaving out the white lines, it makes it easier to reproduce for your swag.

The condensed tagline, juxtaposes the angle and width of the black MSD to make it look faster... well that, and it's tough to find a legible font to match that angle and not look overworked by skewing it. It also serves to draw attention to the black (legible portion of the name) MSD and reinforce the idea that the stacked MSD is an icon.

...that's my .o2

Attachments

• 101_NSD.jpg
    101_NSD.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 137

NSDdesigns

Oh, you hurt my feelings now, calling me a retard and posting retarded posts.

See NSD, it's posts like Joe's and others that truly want to help someone, such as yourself that are so good for this place, but they're wasted on a person like you that thinks calling people retarded or having retarded posts is a waste on someone like you.

There are many people on this thread and in the world that have handicapped children, sisters, brothers or friends... and when you choose such a plain ordinary word to demonstrate your inferior intelligence over another person, without knowing who else is being hurt.... it's times like this.... you are a complete waste and don't deserve a blessed thing.

I have no problems calling someone out, but you're half a bubble short of being plumb, so it won't do any good in your case. Suffice it to say...... good luck, cause you're gonna need it.

Thanks for the luck. Who knew that posting a logo could dig suck a deep hole with so many on here?

Perhaps my choice of words weren't the best as they are often taken out of definition but they were truthful. You are a delayer and you delayed the post off topic with your scarsam. Spinning them into the politically correct realm of a mental handicap is your way of copeing with that I suppose. And if you mean everything you've ever called anyone, I guess that you really do think I ROCK!

Joe, and the people that truly do have valued info and advice to offer make this a great place to be. Post such as yours of 100% scarsam and misdirection lead topics off course and drive the great info into a pit of confusion. Also lead to convo that is WAY off topic. Who's the real problem in all of that? Seems plain to see to me.

If we could get back on topic I would be greatly appreciated. I honestly didn't want to get into a forum fight and have a bad light shined on me/my name on here and my brand all because I posted a logo looking for comments and also felt so inclined to fight for a design that I created. To those that really want to help, Thank you! Tho those that hove little or nothing to offer, please spend your words wasting someone else's time.

xxaxx

Working within your parameters, attached is a sample that mellows the quirks I'm getting with the logo.

attachment.php

In your originals, there's quite a few white lines and notches that break the flow of the layout. This sample attempts to group the parts into pieces that the eye can quickly identify without too many distractions.

Putting the shape around the stacked NSD helps to communicate that it is an icon... perhaps a funky tattoo, an imprimatur, or a chinese symbol reference, that doesn't necessarily need to be translated by your audience.

The sharp red point fits within the NSD black letters to make them more legible from a distance or at scale. Also, by leaving out the white lines, it makes it easier to reproduce for your swag.

The condensed tagline, juxtaposes the angle and width of the black MSD to make it look faster... well that, and it's tough to find a legible font to match that angle and not look overworked by skewing it. It also serves to draw attention to the black (legible portion of the name) MSD and reinforce the idea that the stacked MSD is an icon.

...that's my .o2

Leaps and bounds better than the ones he has posted ... but it won't help, he is fully set in his ways and very defensive about critiques.

SignManiac

The definition of insanity is doing the same exact thing over and over and expecting a different result. P.S. I'm a little offended, my cat is retarded and her feelings get hurt easily.

NSDdesigns

Thats awesome VID. That is an excellent rendition of where I would like to be seeing as I have some agreed upon flaws in my current mark. I think you best understood that I like where I was at when I posted my logo and was willing to make some minor tweaks. What you created is along the lines of what I was talking about.

THANKS!