• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Logo for fairly new sign company

Jillbeans

I'm happy (and lucky) to get what I charge locally for a logo.
Most people think it's included for free with the sign.

Marlene

I like Pat's design concept. Simple, clean and easy to brand in multiple media formats.​

I like it too as it is clean and simple without being overly done with a ton of foo foo crap that has nothing to do with your business. horrid weather, sinking tail ships and that oval have nothing to do with you or what you do and just clutter things up for no reason.

Perks

Be Bold

Try this out and see what it looks like Use 3 lines: Storm in one font, Signs bigger, and contact:wink:

tomence

Thanks Pat for being another voice of reason in the discussion. For those who believe good branding doesn't help get you jobs, close more business, and get you more money for your work - please continue onward with that idea while you wonder how your competitors with a better understanding of why a brand is so important continue to take business away from you. Build brands to stand out, not fit in, and amazing things happen to your business.

So what you are saying is is if i hire you to do a logo and branding for me that i am going to make a million a year, or maybe at least double my gross of what i make right now?

IMO if you are a good salesman and know your business you can make money without a logo, you think i care who's got a better logo when it's time for me to buy a new printer - NO. I bought my last printer from a dealer that has no logo at all, and not just a printer but a cutter and all my supplies. Their customer service is second to none. When i need them they are fast to respond or fix any equipment problem that i had so far in a very timely manner.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So what you are saying is is if i hire you to do a logo and branding for me that i am going to make a million a year, or maybe at least double my gross of what i make right now?

IMO if you are a good salesman and know your business you can make money without a logo, you think i care who's got a better logo when it's time for me to buy a new printer - NO. I bought my last printer from a dealer that has no logo at all, and not just a printer but a cutter and all my supplies. Their customer service is second to none. When i need them they are fast to respond or fix any equipment problem that i had so far in a very timely manner.

Very well said. :thumb:

Ya might've p!ssed some people off, but sometimes the truth just hurts.

I don't know if it was this thread or another thread, but any sign person can make a sale regardless of their logo. If they are missing an arm, their front teeth or have a banged up old beater for a shop truck..... for the most part, it's you they are buying.

A good logo is just like a good sign or a good salesman.... they're only needed when you aren't around. Like the 'Silent Salesman' joke.

edit: Pat, your logo is a really nice appraoch.

Now where did all the boats come from ??

Joe Diaz

A logo doesn't really effect the service of the business it belongs to, but it does say a lot about the business. A business that has invested in a well designed image is likely to show the same amount of care towards other aspects of their business. And whether you like it or not, people judge things on appearance. So before you ever step foot into a store or a restaurant, consciously or subconsciously you are observing the way the building looks, the signs, the logo on the signs, is the parking lot full or empty? And this happens all before that store can show the customer the quality of services they provide. If the place looks like a dump, many people won't do business there, even if the service is second to none. So your image is extremely important part of bringing people in the door. Once they're in, then it's your job to show them good quality service. So yeah you can have a successful business despite your logo or image, but a well done logo or image will help even more. Why wouldn't people want that? Why do people in this industry not get that?

neato

So you're saying that a brand doesn't matter?

I guess all these big corporations have been blowing their money on branding for nothing. Maybe we should have an intervention for them?

Marlene

A logo doesn't really effect the service of the business it belongs to, but it does say a lot about the business. A business that has invested in a well designed image is likely to show the same amount of care towards other aspects of their business. And whether you like it or not, people judge things on appearance. So before you ever step foot into a store or a restaurant, consciously or subconsciously you are observing the way the building looks, the signs, the logo on the signs, is the parking lot full or empty? And this happens all before that store can show the customer the quality of services they provide. If the place looks like a dump, many people won't do business there, even if the service is second to none. So your image is extremely important part of bringing people in the door. Once they're in, then it's your job to show them good quality service. So yeah you can have a successful business despite your logo or image, but a well done logo or image will help even more. Why wouldn't people want that? Why do people in this industry not get that?​

so true. how many of us and decided not to eat at restaurant because the sign looks shoddy, the building not much better? image does sell. there is a restaurant near me that I wouldn't dream of stepping foot in as the sign is horrid and makes me think the food must be too. on the other end of this is overly done logos/signs. there are some that make me think I can't afford to go there and it then I find out it is a snack bar. that has happened too. that's why sitting down with a pro makes all the difference. a pro asks about the business and who you want to sell to, not what color you like.

tomence

So you're saying that a brand doesn't matter?

I guess all these big corporations have been blowing their money on branding for nothing. Maybe we should have an intervention for them?

You do amazing work i really like your design skills, but to answer your question. This big corporations can make people think their sh!tty logo is the best. They have money to do that. But i am not a big corporation i am just a small guy making thousands not millions.

Biker Scout

Yes.

If you (or potential client) sat down with me, and I decided to take you on, I could guarantee that you'd make money on the exposure that I could create for you. That's what a complete branding package allows for. That's what I sell, and I work hard to prove I'm right and worth every penny.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so now the conversation has turned from someone losing a customer here and there due to giving a high price....... to branding department store chains and does image count for anything ?? We have people b!tching about the tire kickers and one offs to the needy greedy people of corporate America.

People why not just talk about the price of butter in England ?? It has as much to do with the subject as the rest of these story lines.

I know of companies tucked away in the back of industrial parks to way out in no-man's land and they are completely successful. They have little to no signs at all. They have limited website exposure and some are doing work globally. Their logo might be a letter in an oval or an icon on a square in the corner with their name underneath it.

People pushing design, branding, marketing, target audiences and preaching this is what you need to succeed..... what are they selling in the first place ?? Of course they are gonna make a stand on your image. If they don't, they have no customers..... no work...... no money....... no employees....... nothing at all.

Again, a good salesman/woman [in any kinda business from selling laundry detergent to buildings] will sell their wares and whether they do it with a cross reference of their wares or testimonials..... they need to talk to prospective clients. Showing their accomplishments on a website or in a scrapbook both work. One is newer than the other, but it still works just the same. Talking and knowing their business inside out is the key. Having every client's question ready with a good response and explanation is the best thing you can do.

Tech's 4 'P's is a good way to do that. Having a sequence already in your head is great, but every now and then, you get sidetracked or blindsided and ya gotta be on your toes and have a good comeback when this happens. When you know your business inside out, that's when you can conquer all. Merely having a neat logo or fancy truck doesn't do squat to the ordinary customer and we all know why. Having those things will bring in customers, but not without YOU doing the talking to back it up.

We had a guy at our house a week or two ago working on the water softener. He's been coming around doing our work for about 7 years. His first visit, he had nothing on his truck and a dumb little business card. We hired him because of HIM..... heck, he had nothing else to go on, but his ability. He proved totally worth it. We later made signs for his truck. Didn't design any logos or fancy-schmancy design, but he now has three crews working for him and is really getting big in these parts. He still has no logo or fancy stuff. HE is the business and HIS know-how is what sells.

I can give you more examples of that kinda story... than I can for Nike or Target or Pizza Hut or any other discernible logo. Sure there's something to be said for logo recognition, but it doesn't always bring quality, just you know it when you see it.

Joe Diaz

Why some people want to charge $3000 for a logo and others want $300, and they both produce the same quality logos.

There are several reasons. One of those many reasons may be your market. I know that many (not all) small town, rural, midwest small business won't pay $3000 for a logo. A large corporation in California may pay multiple times that amount, easy. The nice thing about today's day and age is a designer's market can be greatly expanded with the aid of the internet. They could choose to target those bigger fish, or could still be successful targeting smaller businesses but having to provide more volume to make up for it.

tomence

Okay, so now the conversation has turned from someone losing a customer here and there due to giving a high price....... to branding department store chains and does image count for anything ?? We have people b!tching about the tire kickers and one offs to the needy greedy people of corporate America.

People why not just talk about the price of butter in England ?? It has as much to do with the subject as the rest of these story lines.

I know of companies tucked away in the back of industrial parks to way out in no-man's land and they are completely successful. They have little to no signs at all. They have limited website exposure and some are doing work globally. Their logo might be a letter in an oval or an icon on a square in the corner with their name underneath it.

People pushing design, branding, marketing, target audiences and preaching this is what you need to succeed..... what are they selling in the first place ?? Of course they are gonna make a stand on your image. If they don't, they have no customers..... no work...... no money....... no employees....... nothing at all.

Again, a good salesman/woman [in any kinda business from selling laundry detergent to buildings] will sell their wares and whether they do it with a cross reference of their wares or testimonials..... they need to talk to prospective clients. Showing their accomplishments on a website or in a scrapbook both work. One is newer than the other, but it still works just the same. Talking and knowing their business inside out is the key. Having every client's question ready with a good response and explanation is the best thing you can do.

Tech's 4 'P's is a good way to do that. Having a sequence already in your head is great, but every now and then, you get sidetracked or blindsided and ya gotta be on your toes and have a good comeback when this happens. When you know your business inside out, that's when you can conquer all. Merely having a neat logo or fancy truck doesn't do squat to the ordinary customer and we all know why. Having those things will bring in customers, but not without YOU doing the talking to back it up.

We had a guy at our house a week or two ago working on the water softener. He's been coming around doing our work for about 7 years. His first visit, he had nothing on his truck and a dumb little business card. We hired him because of HIM..... heck, he had nothing else to go on, but his ability. He proved totally worth it. We later made signs for his truck. Didn't design any logos or fancy-schmancy design, but he now has three crews working for him and is really getting big in these parts. He still has no logo or fancy stuff. HE is the business and HIS know-how is what sells.

I can give you more examples of that kinda story... than I can for Nike or Target or Pizza Hut or any other discernible logo. Sure there's something to be said for logo recognition, but it doesn't always bring quality, just you know it when you see it.

Very well said.

SignManiac

I did in fact help turn a local company around by designing a new brand for his company. He came to me with the most horrid lettering on everything he had. I asked him point blank, what vision do you have for your business? He said he'd like to make a good living for all the hard work. He said help me then. Gave me full reign and hasn't looked back. Every time I speak with him, he's telling me how much an improvement his business has made and everyone constantly comments on his trucks and everything else I've done.

He's turned into an awesome client and really appreciates what I've done to help him. In fact, he never makes a marketing move without asking me first. That's called trust.

Biker Scout

SignManiac, I'm glad you get it too. The process does work in capable hands. Oftentimes a fresh look is all that's needed to boost consumer confidence in their own brand. To me, it's still about the Laws of Attraction. If you look good, you feel good. You feel good, you attract good things. Branding is not only emotional connection but a step forward with a different attitude and mindset.

ChicagoGraphics

Im at a loss as to where the OP mentioned box signs, bucket trucks, or anything of the like...

At least its a plus. Any suggestions??:cool: Maybe I should have clarified, dont think it matters though. This particular oval I thought about as a decal to stick on box signs for maintenance calls, if someone else sees it, etc.