• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New logo

phototec

I think if you use a shield, then it must be complete

HOWEVER, I think THIS is the final one :rolleyes:

The final ONE, wow, I hate to tell you this but it doesn't look very good to me. I don't think the half-shield works at all and I don't like the horizontal lines at the bottom. The half shield, looks like a piece of toast coming up out of a toaster (the horizontal lines). Or like the bottom of the shield is missing.

Many folks on here have given you guidance and suggestions, however, I think you are dead set on using this design, I not going to blow smoke up your arse, I'm going to shoot straight and tell you like it is, and the fact is the last version is not very good.

I'm just trying to help you, and as mentioned in many, many posts as of late, some folks just can't see the difference between a good or bad design, meaning, they look at this latest version and say it's great.

What I would like to suggest is, look at the attachment, which includes many different designs and compare them to your latest version, the one design element that stands out on yours compared to all the others, it just doesn't look complete, looks like something is cut-off at the bottom.

I think if you use a shield, then it must be complete, not just the top half!!!!

Many of the other examples look better then yours (IMO), and the example above, below and to the right also read better, I can't read "Thin Skin" on your version.

Don't forget, colors can be changed if you don't like the colors.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Attachments

• Examples copy.jpg
    Examples copy.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 73

stoneandtle

The final ONE, wow, I hate to tell you this but it doesn't look very good to me. I don't think the half-shield works at all and I don't like the horizontal lines at the bottom. The half shield, looks like a piece of toast coming up out of a toaster (the horizontal lines). Or like the bottom of the shield is missing.

Many folks on here have given you guidance and suggestions, however, I think you are dead set on using this design, I not going to blow smoke up your arse, I'm going to shoot straight and tell you like it is, and the fact is the last version is not very good.

I'm just trying to help you, and as mentioned in many, many posts as of late, some folks just can't see the difference between a good or bad design, meaning, they look at this latest version and say it's great.

What I would like to suggest is, look at the attachment, which includes many different designs and compare them to your latest version, the one design element that stands out on yours compared to all the others, it just doesn't look complete, looks like something is cut-off at the bottom.

I think if you use a shield, then it must be complete, not just the top half!!!!

Many of the other examples look better then yours (IMO), and the example above, below and to the right also read better, I can't read "Thin Skin" on your version.

Don't forget, colors can be changed if you don't like the colors.

Just my 2 cents worth.

You definitely have the right to your opinion, and I'm glad you brought what you thought is/was wrong with the logo.

However, I'm plenty satisfied with it.

Looking at the image you posted, I can point out the reasons why I wouldn't/might not have gone with any of them, given the business:
top left - that one might have worked, but something about the M being emphasized doesn't sit well with me with what I do
top center - that one is pretty good...I like that one, kind of looks like it would work on a paint can though. If I had a spray on film, I would looked into this style/format with more thought.
top right - I like that one, but it doesn't apply to the business at all
center left - looks cool, kind of like a helmet, but again, doesn't look right to me with my business
center right - this one is neat, but looks like it might be better at a WWF match
lower left - I like this one too, but portrays the image of a car cover
lower center - this one is interesting, but I think carpet cleaning for some reason (don't ask me why, I just do)
lower right - this one is pretty good looking too, but the film peel back that's colored red portrays the wrong image; the film is clear. I think this one would be great for a paint company.

I really like them all, but there's only one, maybe two, of all the ones you showed next to mine that I feel might have worked. But in the end it all comes down to personal preference. Honestly, in that picture, I like mine more than all the surrounding ones, and I think mine sticks out more. The next one that sticks out to me is the lower right one. The other part of mine that I like is that I have three square edges to use for butting the logo up against other objects - it also gives me a good location for putting address/contact info or a web address/phone number/etc. and it'll look part of it; there's only two others on that page that could do the same.

I'm glad you voiced your thoughts on this, that was the whole point of this thread. And I really liked all of the variations that everyone put together, I think they look great. I was amazed by how many different flavors could be created by everyone. I'd like to see some "challenges" on this website after seeing all the participation this logo has generated - pick a company name and see what everyone can come up with. It would be difficult to vote on them, because I would imagine that a handfull would most likely win more than most LOL, but I think it helps when looking for ideas to see different design concepts of the same thing.

Thanks also for taking the time to put that image together, it's cool to see a variety of the logos on one page.

signmeup

Looking at the image you posted, I can point out the reasons why I wouldn't/might not have gone with any of them, given the business:
top left - that one might have worked, but something about the M being emphasized doesn't sit well with me with what I do
top center - that one is pretty good...I like that one, kind of looks like it would work on a paint can though. If I had a spray on film, I would looked into this style/format with more thought.
top right - I like that one, but it doesn't apply to the business at all
center left - looks cool, kind of like a helmet, but again, doesn't look right to me with my business
center right - this one is neat, but looks like it might be better at a WWF match
lower left - I like this one too, but portrays the image of a car cover
lower center - this one is interesting, but I think carpet cleaning for some reason (don't ask me why, I just do)
lower right - this one is pretty good looking too, but the film peel back that's colored red portrays the wrong image; the film is clear. I think this one would be great for a paint company.
Wow. This is what goes on inside our customer’s heads.... scary stuff.

The critiques of people’s work that helped you for free were probably a bad idea. Although, the content of the critiques is comical at best: "something about the M being emphasized doesn't sit well with me with what I do" is not a critical evaluation. (Hope that shot through your foot didn’t hurt too much.)

All the other logos presented are better than what you have decided to go with. The half shield will be unrecognizable to anyone who hasn't followed this thread and the small text is illegible. "Armor" works fine but the subtext is too small to read even up close. By putting white lettering over a white/blue fade you have removed any contrast you had.

Rejecting any of the presented logos as inferior to your own effort makes it clear that you should not be in charge of your company’s image. You would be better off sticking with what you are using on your website right now.

At least make it legible if you have to go with that design. (and make the O bigger. It's too small in that font.)

Attachments

• ThinSkin5.jpg
    ThinSkin5.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 77

SlightlyChilled

The critiques of people’s work that helped you for free were probably a bad idea.

This is true Signme look at it like this at least you have a little better idea whats in his head might be rocks but still....He is aloud to have his opinion

I have some opinions/questions but as I was typing they just sounded rude and thats not how I would like to come off. So I will ask one. Is the Stone & Tile Decor shop in a separate location then the skin shop or do you only sell the skin rolls to car shops?

iSign

I found the critiques offensive. just say you didn't want to use them... that would be fine because they weren't yours to use anyway, they were for inspiration... which they obviously got you from near-zero to 50%... so they did their job.. why make up stupid excuses for each ones shortcomings? That's just a knee jerk bunch of contrived justifications, thinly veiled as design critiques.... so inappropriate..

SignManiac

I think this is a perfect example of what Dan often says about egos getting in the way. I will say however that the name thin skin is perfect in this case.

hightop

To any newbie designers following this thread, take note of SignMeUp's post #116. You hear a lot of good designers saying to design in b/w or greyscale first, and once you have have your design, then you can add color and/or effects...which you see SignMe has his original greyscale image that works very well and, only then, by adding color and effects does it make the image look even better...Nice work SignMe!

:clapping:I'm REALLY liking this thread!! It's interesting to see the exchange of information and the evolution of the design!

Pat Whatley

I found the critiques offensive. just say you didn't want to use them... that would be fine because they weren't yours to use anyway, they were for inspiration... which they obviously got you from near-zero to 50%... so they did their job.. why make up stupid excuses for each ones shortcomings? That's just a knee jerk bunch of contrived justifications, thinly veiled as design critiques.... so inappropriate..
No Hello Kitty tattoo for you.

stoneandtle

I didn't intend that to be offensive in ANY way...I REALLY DO LIKE ALL OF THEM! I just didn't gravitate toward them is all. If I had gravitated toward them, then I would have found some way to make some similar.

PLEASE don't take these as offensive. That is what I thought when I looked at them - that's NOT to say they were bad, like I said, I thought they were all GREAT! Not everyone is going to think the same way about every design.

I'm not saying mine is better, or great, or anything like that, I just like mine is all. Is that bad?

stoneandtle

The critiques of people’s work that helped you for free were probably a bad idea. Although, the content of the critiques is comical at best: "something about the M being emphasized doesn't sit well with me with what I do" is not a critical evaluation. (Hope that shot through your foot didn’t hurt too much.)

All the other logos presented are better than what you have decided to go with. The half shield will be unrecognizable to anyone who hasn't followed this thread and the small text is illegible. "Armor" works fine but the subtext is too small to read even up close. By putting white lettering over a white/blue fade you have removed any contrast you had.

Rejecting any of the presented logos as inferior to your own effort makes it clear that you should not be in charge of your company’s image. You would be better off sticking with what you are using on your website right now.

At least make it legible if you have to go with that design. (and make the O bigger. It's too small in that font.)

Ok, these look really good...and in no way am I suggesting that any of those other ideas are inferior, just different.

phototec

Fallen on deaf ears!

I think this is a perfect example of what Dan often says about egos getting in the way. I will say however that the name thin skin is perfect in this case.

I don't know, I think it's the opposite, it should be THICK SKIN, like thick skull. Hard-headed is what he is, he just doesn't get it, kind of like, if it's raining outside and you tell him don't go outside or you'll get wet, he says, NOT if you stand between the rain drops!

The are many aspects of a good logo design, and his final version doesn't meet them, simplicity is the soul of an effective visual identity.

Versatility and simplicity are hallmarks of an outstanding logo. Your logo design should be scalable to any size without losing any image quality or visual impact. Here your version fails, your font's legibility must be of primary concern, if you reduce you version to business card size, you can't read the tag line.

Consider how your logo design will look when it is rendered in only black and white. Your vendors and advertising outlets may require your logo to be in black and white only. Much other company material such as faxes and company checks for instance may only print in black and white. Make sure your logo design works well in black and white as well as color.

Gosh, all of you who tried to help this guy and gave up you time creating some great designs, seems to have fallen on deaf ears!

:banghead: