• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions and Advice,Window Decal

CreatedDesigns

Chieftains-Volley-Ball-Decal-ver-7.jpg Ok so here is a version that follows a path instead of arching. Thanks everyone

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Haha so one is to ever arch any word your saying that seems logical. There must be alot of sign people that feel ashamed right now. Even though I'm sure every single one of us has arched a lower case and upper case word. I guess i wasn't aware of the special arching font and case that was to be used. My bad.

What you don't seem to be aware of are the fundamental rules of typography. Break them at your peril and because you do understand them, not. as is your case, because you don't. When you say "every single one of us" you attempt to include yourself in a group of which, if this monstrosity is representative of your abilities, it's abundantly clear that you are not a member.

Anyone can make a mistake, only a damnfool insists on it.

CreatedDesigns

What you don't seem to be aware of are the fundamental rules of typography. Break them at your peril and because you do understand them, not. as is your case, because you don't. When you say "every single one of us" you attempt to include yourself in a group of which, if this monstrosity is representative of your abilities, it's abundantly clear that you are not a member.

Anyone can make a mistake, only a damnfool insists on it.
:notworthy:

Haha so one is to ever arch any word your saying that seems logical. There must be alot of sign people that feel ashamed right now. Even though I'm sure every single one of us has arched a lower case and upper case word. I guess i wasn't aware of the special arching font and case that was to be used. My bad.

You never arch any text that is italic or script. That is one of the first rules of sign design. It makes for an unlegible mess as you can plainly see now. I know you don't want it to look like every other window sticker but there is a reason why those window stickers use the same type of text layout that Visual showed you...because it works.

I would not recommend red with a white outline either. Why not white with a red outline as it will actually look readable from 15 feet. The idea behind reinventing something is to improve it, which you have failed to do here.

CreatedDesigns

You never arch any text that is italic or script. That is one of the first rules of sign design. It makes for an unlegible mess as you can plainly see now. I know you don't want it to look like every other window sticker but there is a reason why those window stickers use the same type of text layout that Visual showed you...because it works.

I would not recommend red with a white outline either. Why not white with a red outline as it will actually look readable from 15 feet. The idea behind reinventing something is to improve it, which you have failed to do here.
I was trying to use the school colors as much as possible, As they asked for the red lettering. I put the black and gray outline on it. how's this? Chieftains-Volley-Ball-Decal-ver-8.jpg I guess I could just print the maroon on some white IJ680CR that should do it for night time readability

Marlene

Haha so one is to ever arch any word your saying that seems logical. There must be alot of sign people that feel ashamed right now. Even though I'm sure every single one of us has arched a lower case and upper case word.

actually no as it is a common rule in design so common I'm suprised you have never heard of it. it is a common thing we have all seen but with people who bought a computer and some software

CreatedDesigns

created designs....and you have a background in art or signs????
I am an Industrial Electrician and Refrigeration technician. Also custom automotive painting. I am new to computerized design using illustrator. But hey you got to start some where. Also I never said I had a art background.
And if i had an art background why in the heck would I ask for help?
as I would be a know it all like yourself.

If it were not for questions this forum would not exist.:banghead:

Marlene

I am an Industrial Electrician and Refrigeration technician. Also custom automotive painting

my guess is if I tried to fix a frig, I'd suck at it. that's what happens when you think someone else's job is easy and all you need is a tool to do it with. before going on with your "designing" you should invest some time learning the trade. I assume you didn't become an electrian or a refrigeration tech by posting a few questions on a site for people in those profession. yes everyone has to start somewhere but because you appear to be someone who has learned a trade, I would suggest learning this one too before jumping in

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If it were not for questions this forum would not exist.

If my aunt were otherwise equipped she would be my uncle.

Your dearth of knowledge of typography seems only exceeded by your lack of understanding of the syllogistic form 'Material Implication'. For those of you that when to public schools, that would be a statement in the form 'If ... Then ...'.

CreatedDesigns

Actually I have been self taught by asking questions my whole life.This trade is no different than any other. So unless you are writing software code to do design programs. You are just like me learning as You go asking questions. As needed.

I am also a firefighter and hazmat technician. Some things you have to find out by trying first hand and then you know what questions to ask. I have no problem teaching anyone if they want to learn.

although Mr. bob who has a premium paid for education is well above all of us public school folk. I shall bow to you if we ever meet as your presence will be to much for me to handle.

I will adjust the letter spacing as mentioned thanks for all the advice.

CreatedDesigns

my guess is if I tried to fix a frig, I'd suck at it. that's what happens when you think someone else's job is easy and all you need is a tool to do it with. before going on with your "designing" you should invest some time learning the trade. I assume you didn't become an electrian or a refrigeration tech by posting a few questions on a site for people in those profession. yes everyone has to start somewhere but because you appear to be someone who has learned a trade, I would suggest learning this one too before jumping in
It would be tough for me to fix a frig to at least at first I work on R-717(Anhydrous Ammonia)refrigeration equipment. But once you ask questions then it all becomes clear on what to do. Remember some fool built everything around you some some fool will be able to fix it. None of us are smarter than the other, just some ask questions others keep quiet
For some of you signs are all you do for me its just another business to own if one dies down I have others to fall back on. I work with all my local sign people I always help where I can and point them where they need to go. I am a member of many forums that help out in many different fields. Google wydir this is my name on most other forums. But this forum has some of the worst complainers I have ever come across.
but its the good few teachers that make walking though the sh!t worth it.

Again thanks for all the help everyone!

SurfaceSigns

Don't take some of the comments too hard CreatedDesigns, their comments are merrily their opinions, not gospel. Some people just need to feel superior.

You put your artwork out there and asked for help, and the changes you've made have shown improvement. Visually, I liked the red lettering personally, it would look great on a T Shirt. But for a decal for the car window, the white is probably better.

Some people need to go to school to learn everything, and others learn by doing. The former don't understand the latter, and vice versa.

Pat Whatley

The last one is by far the best of the bunch but get rid of the dang "#" symbols. Is there anybody out there who is gonna look at "22" and ask "What's them there sybols, mama?"

John Butto

"Yes, I agree with you Wilson"

Next time you copy a volleyball, get a good one, looks like a chief, red, white, finished!