• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Random VersaWorks lockup?

Sign Works

Odd because VW has never done this to me and I regularly run it with Flexi running as well. I do not save jobs in the que so possibly that is a contributing factor. The only time VW has froze on me is while riping and there is a font recognition problem.

Custom_Grafx

Odd because VW has never done this to me and I regularly run it with Flexi running as well. I do not save jobs in the que so possibly that is a contributing factor. The only time VW has froze on me is while riping and there is a font recognition problem.

Interesting - so you delete it from queue as soon as you're done? Maybe I should try this for a little while and see what happens.

CentralSigns

Interesting - so you delete it from queue as soon as you're done? Maybe I should try this for a little while and see what happens.

That's exactly what happens here only hangs when the que has 5or more jobs in it. So if I am not laminating there are no jobs left in que and no jams. Good call Signworks thats' the key I think.

Sign Works

Generally delete them only after job is completed in case I need to reprint a job or portion of it. Also temporarily keep jobs in que for print/lam/cut jobs until job is finished. It is not uncommon for me to end up with a half dozen or more jobs in the que waiting for completion and still has never froze.

Custom_Grafx

I have maybe 40 at the moment. Time to clean up! Hope it fixes this annoying problem.

If this is what causes this problem, it would be nice if a warning message of some kind alerted to delete some messages, or that having more than x amount/mb of items in the queue could affect system stability...

jasonx

We get this a bit running two machines off the one versa works. Removing un-needed jobs from the RIP queue helps but its hard when you have 50 plus jobs on the go at any one time.

We've moving to using two separate machines one for each printer now to reduce this problem.

Replicator

Haven't had it happen in over a year since reinitializing program and not keeping print jobs in the queue when closing app.

MikesSigns

WOW! I feel blessed.

I must be the lucky one. No problems,been running 3 yrs, XP, I do keep my queue small and have had no problems. I did add more Ram with my computer when I purchased. Don't know if that would make a difference. I have seen mine slow down if I was designing something else in Corel on the same computer which i try not do during a print job.

Mike

Custom_Grafx

OK, it was going nice and smooth the last few days - keeping max 4-5 jobs in queue. It just happened then.

I was in a techy mood, so looked up my anti virus logs - as I remember my AV giving probs with roland Onsupport not long ago - the fix was to make a rule exclusion for it - it thought the mail it was sending out was spam.

In this case - this is the log in my AV report...

11/03/2011 12:04:35 PM Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) C:\Program Files\Roland VersaWorks\VersaWorks\Roland VersaWorks.exe C:\Documents and Settings\***\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Anti-virus Maximum Protection:protect cached files from password and email address stealers Action blocked : Read

It says "rule is not enforced", but don't know even what the hell VW is trying to do with the index.dat file? Any idea anyone?

Anyways, I have excluded Roland VersaWorks.exe from the rule just in case...

Interesting to see if it fixes it.

cdiesel

Ours freezes all the time on one machine. The other machine running a different printer never freezes. The two computers are the same--built at the same time, same processors, hard drive, motherboard, everything. The only difference is one runs an XC540 and the other runs an XJ740.
We get the same freezing issue when hitting <ok>.

Custom_Grafx

Ours freezes all the time on one machine. The other machine running a different printer never freezes. The two computers are the same--built at the same time, same processors, hard drive, motherboard, everything. The only difference is one runs an XC540 and the other runs an XJ740.
We get the same freezing issue when hitting <ok>.

There has to be some reason to this... not just how many things are in the queue.

Your only variable there is the printer (that you know of) - and I can't see that being a factor, coz it's not really a machine related thing, is it?

It's probably some stupid read/write error/bug that hasn't been fully explored by Roland yet that just hangs the system.

It could just be luck that it doesn't happen on your other printer?

Do you have the same Antivirus software, and if so, the exact same settings on both pc's?

cdiesel

Both PCs should have same antivirus as we have a corporate license for all of our machines. Not sure what else could be different. I'll check the versions of VW we're running too.

Custom_Grafx

Could it be resources? Do you use more RAM on one machine compared to the other?

I wonder if this bug is resource related, or anti virus, or hardware related. Hard to isolate this thing.

dhawkes

Wide Format Fan
VersaWorks locking up

Hello all,

I'm new to Roland, but checked in with a couple of people on the VersaWorks lock-up issue. For this issue, ‘Reinitializing the application’, which is an executable function in Versaworks, will most likely resolve it.

However, before ‘executing’ this function, the enduser should write down all the seetings in Versaworks as a precaution because after reinitailzing, he/she needs to re-enter the settings in Versaworks.

Let me know if this takes care of it for you.

Thanks,
Dave Hawkes
Group Product Manager, Signs & Textile

ozzy666

Usually "Initialize application" helps. As i paid attention most of those crashes occured when i tried to open RGB files...converting from jpeg to tiff or eps does not help.....What really helps is converting from RGB to CMYK but that bothers me to death.

dhawkes

Wide Format Fan
VersaWorks Lock Up

Hi all,

It won't delete custom profiles. But as always with custom profiles, you should save/archive it by using the save as function in ‘Media Explorer’ window (see attached):

1) Select the custom profiles by selecting it (high lighted in blue).
2) Then, click on ‘Save’ icon on the top.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Dave Hawkes
Group Product Manager
Roland DGA

Attachments

• VersaWorks Lock up Screen shot.pdf
    142.2 KB · Views: 203

Custom_Grafx

Thanks Dave much appreciated.

I'm waiting to see if it will happen agian - so far since playing with anti virus, there have been no lock ups.

If it happens again - my next course of action, is to re-initialise.

Can you tell us, what that exactly does, and also why it works in fixing this issue? Also, is this something you would recommend maybe doing on a regular basis (if it's like some sort of cache issue which needs to be reset)?

Cheers!

dhawkes

Wide Format Fan
Initializing VersaWorks

Hello all,

Initializing VersaWorks resets all configurations, such as the settings of printer and ink. to default. It will remove/dump cache to free up memory.

Best regards,

Dave Hawkes
Group Product Manager
Roland DGA