• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Random VersaWorks lockup?

Jack Knight1979

Mine has locked up for years. Been on new coputers just running VW. No luck. I've gone through all the trouble shooting and it locks up all the time.

Fastest fix I've come up with is keeping my system processing running. When it freezes I can delete the roland process and I don't have to reboot my machine to restart.

jasonx

Hello all,

Initializing VersaWorks resets all configurations, such as the settings of printer and ink. to default. It will remove/dump cache to free up memory.

Best regards,

Dave Hawkes
Group Product Manager
Roland DGA

Can you manually dump the cache or save out all your settings for your queues and defaults?

Colin

I'm late to the party, but yes, the freeze-up happens to me too, and with the latest VersaWorks. Ctrl+Alt+Delete gives me the message that VersaWorks is Not Responding, so I simply "end task" and fire it up again.

(XP Home edition).

Malkin

I'm late to the party, but yes, the freeze-up happens to me too, and with the latest VersaWorks. Ctrl+Alt+Delete gives me the message that VersaWorks is Not Responding, so I simply "end task" and fire it up again.

(XP Home edition).

Same here. Happens about 10-15% of the time when I hit the "OK" button after setting up a print job.
It makes no difference how many jobs I have loaded in the queue.

Custom_Grafx

Have you guys tried the re-initialize procedure as described above by D Hawkes?

I still haven't tried re-initialize, but since adjusting my antivirus to 'allow' versa works, I still haven't locked up. I think it's been about 2 weeks now?

If your anti virus software has a way to look at the log (you need to check all areas - firewall, access protection, etc - there is usually a separate log for each), see if there are any blocked entries for versa works. Mine kept logging something from versa works trying to access my index.dat file... which is a hugely debated privacy database in windows. I have no idea what VW would want to log in that file, but it does! My A/V was logging this as a breach of security.

Roland OnSupport also wasn't working for me till I allowed that too. A/V was picking it up as some kind of malware or mass emailer (because it sends out auto emails on certain events).

Custom_Grafx

I just checked my older post - 11 of march is when I applied that anti virus fix. so... 10 days of no lock up... not bad? Usually happened every couple of days, and some days a couple of times in one day.

Malkin

Thanks for the tip... I'll check it out in the morning. The VW computer (winXP) is running Norton 360.

Colin

For those of you suspecting the Anti-Virus as the cause, did you receive the pop-up warning window from your AV software that one would normally get with a threat?

Colin

Upon opening VW this morning, I got an automated update. Perhaps this will solve the lock-up problem. (?)

Custom_Grafx

I got that a day or two ago... and I locked up today for the first time since the 11th.

Might have to give that 'reinitialize' thing a go.

cdiesel

I wish Roland would fix this issue.. along with the bug in the clip/tile function.

We printed two sides of 53' trailer last week with no overlaps. Nice.

Johnny Go

It's completely random here. Sometimes it's great for a month and other times it will freeze up two or three times in a day. Must have something to do with the moon aligning with mars or something.

cdiesel

I first spoke about this to some guys at the Roland booth at a show about three years ago. Nada.

Come on Roland.

DRamm76

The end users are not alone. I too have had this issue on my copy of Versaworks. I can say that I deleted the version I had on there and did a totally fresh install. Still does it occassionally but nowhere near as much as it may have in the past.

Mine will more so happen when I have multiple programs running as opposed to just Vworks

dhawkes

Wide Format Fan
Hello,

There has been a lot of discussion regarding this thread within Roland DGA. It’s a tough one, as there are a number of factors potentially involved. Printer model, version of firmware, PC manufacturer, job specifications, operating system, RAM, free disk space, anti-virus/firewall, open applications, and your version of software can impact the operation of VersaWorks (or any software program). But if a lot of end users are having the same issue, we have to look more closely for a resolution.

To gain more insight, we received feedback from some of our internal users, as they use VersaWorks all of the time. It was interesting to discover that our internal users don’t have lockup issues. They know that lockup/crashes can occur, but they avoid them by using the below guidelines. I realize of course, that internally we have the luxury of a pristine environment that doesn’t have to deal with the demands of running your own business, much less the chaos of a typical sign shop or print-for-pay environment. Still, I think you will find the below guidelines helpful.

Software
Install the latest version of Roland VersaWorks: http://support.rolanddga.com/_layou...tsupportsearch.aspx?pf=Software&pm=VersaWORKS
The most recent version of VersaWorks is 4.20. Please remember to review the technical documentation before proceeding with the installation

Hardware
Minimum computer specifications to run VersaWorks are listed below:
Operating system
• Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate (32-bit edition)
• Windows Vista Business/Ultimate Service Pack 1 (32-bit edition)
• Windows Vista Business/Ultimate (32-bit edition)
• Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 or later
• Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Processor
• 2.0-GHz or faster Pentium 4
• 2.0-GHz or faster Core 2 Duo recommended
Memory (RAM)
• 512 MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
• Windows Vists/7, 1 GB min, 2 GB+ recommended
• Internally at Roland DGA, we like to have 4 GB or more available
Video Card & Monitor
• A resolution of 1,280 x 1,024 or more recommended
Free hard-disk space required as working space
• 40 GB or more recommended
Optical Drive
• DVD-ROM drive
Other requirements
• For network connection: Ethernet port
• For USB connection: USB Port
• For AppleTalk connection: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 as the operating system, with AppleTalk protocol installed
• To use Roland@NET and VersaWorks Online: Internet connection and web bowser

VersaWorks Lockup
If after this you still have issues your VersaWorks locking up, please contact Roland DGA Tech Support (http://www.rolanddga.com/owners/support/email/) and provide the following details:
• Printer model and version of firmware
• Version of VersaWorks
• PC manufacturer
• Operating System (flavor of Windows – eg. Professional, Ultimate, etc; 32-bit or 64-bit; etc)
• Amount of RAM
• Free disk space
• Steps to duplicate the issue and files if it is file related
• Anti-virus, firewall software name and version

Best regards,

Dave Hawkes
Group Product Manager
Roland DGA