• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino.. i like how pa allows anyone to build an entire house with no licences whatsoever...

There simply is not a supply of people installers/designers that have pride and patience to do wraps correctly to have a wrap shop on every corner.

Where did you get that... or any of that, from what I just wrote ??

Who said anything about having a wrap shop on every corner ?? I was indicating places such as yours and Color's as being the 'Go-To' shops if you get into the swing of their model.

:help

CheapVehicleWrap

Sorry Gino... I didn't get all that from your post. Only the part about the business license. I recently found out that pa does not have/or require trade licences such as exectrical etc.. the rest was just my thoughts on other posts. Sorry for the confusion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry Gino... I didn't get all that from your post. Only the part about the business license. I recently found out that pa does not have/or require trade licences such as exectrical etc.. the rest was just my thoughts on other posts. Sorry for the confusion.

It most certainly does require a license for any part of building a house to remodeling a room.

If you are a person owning your home and no one other than your family lives there, you may do the work yourself, but you MUST take out a permit to do the work.

Any work done on a dwelling where you do not reside, must be furnished by a licensed person performing whatever work.... from plumbing, electrical to roofing or foundations... along with proper permits. All companies are required and must be licensed, including you and/or your workers.

All businesses must be licensed in PA..... but in addition, in the last few years, you must now have this extra licenses to remain legal. Without this new license, you can be taken off the job, if found you don't have one. It's to protect old people and unknowing people from being swindled by hacks. All anybody has to do here in PA, is ask to see that license and if you can't provide it, you're supposed to call the local authorities and report the person.

CheapVehicleWrap

Well I stand corrected. The info I recently read suggested one didn't even need an electrical license. Must have been outdated or didn't mention your own house. Unlicensed electricians can be very dangerous.

rjssigns

Well I stand corrected. The info I recently read suggested one didn't even need an electrical license. Must have been outdated or didn't mention your own house. Unlicensed electricians can be very dangerous.

HiJack in progress, but it makes a point about 3M and their installers.

Licensed electricians or any other licensed professional can be dangerous also. Had our house upgrade to a 200 amp service. Job seemed to go well. Next morning I'm making toast and smell wire insulation burning. Doofus forgot to put the stripped wires into the breaker lugs and tighten. Wires were dancing on the screws and smoke was coming out of the panel. Great way to start the day.
Or how about my wife's frantic call to me about the ELEVEN gas leaks in our home. All from s**t installation by a licensed professional!

Lesson: Just because they are licensed, bonded, or approved does not mean they care about doing a good job. Think about that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
HiJack in progress, but it makes a point about 3M and their installers.

Licensed electricians or any other licensed professional can be dangerous also. Had our house upgrade to a 200 amp service. Job seemed to go well. Next morning I'm making toast and smell wire insulation burning. Doofus forgot to put the stripped wires into the breaker lugs and tighten. Wires were dancing on the screws and smoke was coming out of the panel. Great way to start the day.
Or how about my wife's frantic call to me about the ELEVEN gas leaks in our home. All from s**t installation by a licensed professional!

Lesson: Just because they are licensed, bonded, or approved does not mean they care about doing a good job. Think about that.

Of course everyone makes mistakes. That's a given. At least when hiring a licensed person, they are held accountable. If you hire a hack and your house burns down.... who are you gonna go after ?? For the most part, they don't exist. That's the whole point of this..... without any licenses, insurances or other businesslike needs.... you don't have a thing to go back to should something go wrong.

I'll bet they were back to fix the job real quick and were apologetic.

Try to get some hack to do that... fat frickin' chance......... :ROFLMAO:

rjssigns

Hi Gino,

The electrician was good. The hack for the gas is no longer in business. No surprise there. Really surprised he didn't kill anyone.

I apologize for my hijack. As you were.

lexsigns

I am a bit speechless after reading 11 pages of posts...still absobing wow!!!:popcorn:

I have to agree with Fred- This is in No WAY as bad as Avery- I was a victim in that with hundreds of vehicles and signs... I cant even go there or I will get too upset...

I have a question.. am I correct in understanding THE CLIENT is the designer??!!... Not a good idea EVER. period
They are designing their own wraps??!!! they get the cool program online to play around with and have no ZERO design skills.... nevermind details like not putting specific patterns or copy on certain curves or areas for install nightmares. hmm not a good idea unless the company themselves has a skilled art dept and even then... just imagine what will be driving around with those wraps!

TXFB.INS

quite the interesting read over lunch break.

never have been a huge fan on the 3M materials and now their is proof, guess the gut had it correct.

jhanson

The right thing!:clapping: I had kind of heard of this through one of our customers who bought a fleet of trucks and had the graphics done through the dealership. I didn't know that 3m was behind it though. I recognized they are using the old crosshatched 180c and figured they got it subbed out somewhere.

My shop actually decided to continue printing on the original IJ-180C with the crosshatch simply because it conforms better than the new IJ-180v3.

We've considered switching away from 3M many times but have always wound up going back because, although other materials work well, it takes more time and effort to install them compared to IJ-180C. Time is money, and all that.

We fortunately haven't been on the receiving end of deals like what happened to Colorado Signs, but I suppose it's only a matter of time if 3M keeps this up.

lexsigns

Also forgot a few months ago had a regular customer come in with a brand-new Nissan had a lettering package he told them he was going to use me and they were fine with it. Gave him the receipt and he got reimbursed It was just cut vinyl so maybe a different deal

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Anyone wanna try my wrap kit that includes a 54"x75' 2 Mil Cast Vinyl with Air Release and a 2 Mil Cast Laminate 54"x75' for $350? Full roll kits are 54"x150' for $799

Status
Not open for further replies.