• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjssigns

Fine just where it is. You get the cut and thrust within a couple pages. Deeper in you get the personal experiences. Too Kewl.

ProColorGraphics

Any new comers should be able to easily summarize this thread, 3M is stealing your customers. They can keep reading if they want all of the details.

Suz

Called Oracal this morning, they'll be sending samples through my Dealer. Ordered small sample size rolls of 3165RA with 210 Overlaminate for Everyday signage, and also the 3751GRA with 290 laminate. Can't wait to try it! :)

J

john1

Yeah Oracal really impressed me with the samples. I mentioned i had a 30" printer, they sent 30" samples. Had them in a few days and with 3M they send you 54" samples, take a few weeks to get them and call you to verify your a real sign shop before they send them.

Haven't tried the 3751RA yet, About to print some test stuff here within the next day or so. Since i don't do wraps though, I am leaning towards the 3551RA/290 for vehicle graphics and general signage.

Go Oracal!

slappy

Just got 2 30" sample rolls of the 5600 reflective after i mentioned a 30" plotter also. Can't wait to use it. I've been using 3M reflective on my police cruisers..... that's changing.

All my other vinyl is Oracal... dunno why i got into the 3M for the reflective... but i think it was Oracals 5700 that weeded a bit tough, but that was for signage. Will see how the engineering grade weeds and applies

Suz

John,

Glad to hear you got a good response too! Can't wait to see what you think of the 3751RA, sounds like good stuff! I'm pretty curious about the 3551RA stuff too, wondering how it will do on more curved surfaces. I'll probably just buy some of that too once I get going with the Oracal. So excited!!!

Slapa, I'm going to have to get some of that reflective too! I need printable stuff, have a Customer requesting reflective right now. Think I'll buy that too!

When I got materials over a week ago, I purposely stayed away from 3M. Supporting everyone here in hopes 3M will start doing what is right. I'm just a small potato in the big stew! LOL. But I do have the potential of being a big potato some day!

JLSignsLLC

Not all doctors graduated with an A!!!!!! Some had a D

You missed one: "Why does my wrap look like it is about to fall off after getting done by your certified installer?"

Not all doctors graduated with an A!!!!!! Some finished with a D-. Turns out you can pass a wrap class and get "certified" with an almost failing grade.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We switched to 3751RA from 180Cv3 and our installers are very happy with it, They are finding it much easier to work with but comment it is slightly tackier. We just ordered a roll of the 293 laminate to test its flexibility in comparison to 380 with matching lam for a sprinter van... hopefully it goes well!

JoshLoring

We switched to 3751RA from 180Cv3 and our installers are very happy with it, They are finding it much easier to work with but comment it is slightly tackier. We just ordered a roll of the 293 laminate to test its flexibility in comparison to 380 with matching lam for a sprinter van... hopefully it goes well!

That's great!
Give them a week installing it an they will never go back. The media is capable of things like shrinking and non wrinkling thy 3M is not. After a bit,.. you'll appreciate the extra tack as opposed to no tape primer!

Christian @ 2CT Media

Its not nearly as tacky as 3951, which we've used in the past and quickly moved away from... it is very comparable to the 180, but there is a bit more bite to it which as Josh points out does lead to a much better bond.

After post heating and a day sitting in the sun it takes twice as much effort to remove as 180... Just did a test on a scrap piece of E-Panel. Also, I would like to note that the air channels in the 3751RA seem to move air better than the Cv3 but still nothing like the original 180.

I can honestly say that without the cost savings on the material itself, we are making the switch simply due to the fact that our installers seem to love it... this in the end will lead to cost savings in labor alone.

Suz

It only takes a couple of handfuls of small potatoes to fill up a potato sack....! :Big Laugh

And if the 3M bandwagon was a potato sack I would say it's looking pretty emptied out right now...judging by the amount of members in this thread who are dropping them.

.....Dropping them like a hot potato? I like it Pat!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Who has good pricing on the 3751ra?
I just got a quote from my supplier and it is only $50 cheaper than 180cv3 from them.

wayne k
guam usa

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have pricing from our 3 main suppliers and Fellers is the cheapest on the vinyl but N. Glantz is cheapest on the Lams.... But all in all they are $25 difference for the total package.

My next order is going to be from BigFish and to try his vinyl to see how that works out with my installers.

JoshLoring

One less pixelated 3M wrap on the road.
One crystal clear wrap to replace it.

Attachments

• image-3848327679.jpg
    image-3848327679.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image-18299082.jpg
    image-18299082.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 89
Status
Not open for further replies.