• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should you fire this employee?

mark in tx

Well,
you've got 8 great years with this employee, is he worth trying to help?

What do I mean by help?
Are you willing to take this person down to a Narc-anon meeting, and willing to go with them weekly?
Are you willing to to talk to every financial adviser, banker, real estate agent you know to try and help get him out of that house with his credit intact?
Are you willing to help find child care?
And finally, are you willing to let him know that if he doesn't do these things with your help, then he gets fired?

Because from the outside looking in, those are the things that will be needed to turn his life around.
Are you willing to help turn this persons life around?

This is going to test your core beliefs about business, friendship, and morality in general.
You aren't a corporation with hundreds or thousands of workers.
You see up close what your decision will affect.

Me personally, the guy gets one more chance, only because of the history involved.

Mosh

Clossians 3-13: Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

:rock-n-roll:

ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS THE MONEY!!!!!!!! What about those poor kids, no mom, no Christmas!!!! :(

Roen

I feel sympathy towards the employee, but at the same time, his offenses towards the employer and his business are far too grievous in the sense of maintaining his employment.

Sometimes there's no helping some people - they'll choose whatever path in life they think is best, regardless of their circumstances. Instead of seeking professional help (even in the sense of making your boss aware of your circumstances), this employee chose the lower road and bit the hand that feeds.

While I believe everyone deserves a second chance, there is sometimes necessity in letting people come to their own realizations and if that means hitting rock bottom, so be it. Keep in mind, the employee was not the one to initially reveal anything to the employer UNTIL the employer actually came forward and inquired as to what was transpiring. In my mind that tips the scale in terms of terminating the employee.

Firing him might not be the most humanely ethical course, but I believe its one that seems to be required. I sympathize but you really can't help others if you compromise your own ability to help yourself.

My two cents,

Roen

wrapman jamz

Ok, the biblical reference got me....Just give the guy the keys to the shop and throw in a christmas bonus!

You did say he "cried"

Take the rest of the month off and go fishing in Costa Rica...save some souls in South America and then come back to open a pawn shop (because that's where all your stuff will be)

And about the kids...They'll be with Mom, because Daddy went to Vegas!

Blazingsun

ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS THE MONEY!!!!!!!! What about those poor kids, no mom, no Christmas!!!! :(

In this world today, Yes most People only think about the "MONEY" Look at sports Players and what they get Paid to play a game.. what ever happend to America's Past time of a good old Ball Game??: $150 ticket $9 beers and $6 dollar Hot dogs come People...: Large Corperations have distroyed the world..

For all the ones that have said send him backing, ever think that all this guy cared was that his kids where being taken care of and he would do what ever need to be done to make sure his kids where feed, clothed and had roof over there head? As a Parent I would..(Mind you I don't condone the route he took, there are better ways) Maybe he was so focused on the issue at hand he wasn't realising what he was doing to other People?

quicksigns

It's easy to say let him go....if it was just him, but he has kids and the timing is bad. Maybe after New Year then fired his arse!

Mosh

Who is this guy? I want to send his kids some stuff for Christmas, I am feeling like I might start crying over this whole deal. You people are hart-less.

brian oliver

head cheese
Second chance? No way. The guy has been continuously stealing for 18 months!!!
It sounds to me like he helped himself to a second, third , fourth, and fifth chance.

And Mosh, it ain't all about the money, dude. It's about right and wrong. You want to quote scripture? How about "Thou shall not steal"?

Mosh

I am not sending Barry anthing for Christmas, he has already got a Nobel Prize and a statue in his "homeland", and the statue is not in the United States!

"Thou shall not steal", he did ask for forgiveness!

Circleville Signs

Who is this guy? I want to send his kids some stuff for Christmas, I am feeling like I might start crying over this whole deal. You people are hart-less.

Actually, I agree. If the OP wouldn't mind seeing if there was a way to do that, I'd appreciate it.

Gary

Master's Touch

I think it's kinda a non-issue....cause this fella ain't comin' back to work. He's busted, and while you are stewing over what to do, he is sitting at home remembering (or fabricating) all the ways that this mess is kinda YOUR fault. He is embarrassed and his carefully crafted facade is gone forever. He will never work there again...or if you try to still make it work you'll see quick that it'll never level out.

SignManiac

You can't save the world and the state can take the kids or more than likely there are relatives who can take the kids in. It sucks they get screwed but that's life. He deserves to lose everything. He made the choice a long time ago. Sometimes the only way is to hit rock bottom. I threw both of my kids out and divorced the ex. They are all better off today now that they have to pull their own weight. It was the best thing for them all. I think they call it tough love.

Mosh

I wish some of my kids lived with me. Babymamas are a pain to deal with during the holidays, especialy four different ones.

DOGraphics

Ok
I really haven't read all this but ...

Theoretical =

Main Entry: the·o·ret·i·cal
Pronunciation: \ˌthē-ə-ˈre-ti-kəl, ˌthir-ˈe-\
Variant(s): also the·o·ret·ic \-tik\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Late Latin theoreticus, from Greek theōrētikos, from theōrein to look at
Date: 1601
1 a : relating to or having the character of theory : abstract b : confined to theory or speculation often in contrast to practical applications : speculative <theoretical physics>
2 : given to or skilled in theorizing <a brilliant theoretical physicist>
3 : existing only in theory : hypothetical <gave as an example a theoretical situation>

Blazingsun

Second chance? No way. The guy has been continuously stealing for 18 months!!!
It sounds to me like he helped himself to a second, third , fourth, and fifth chance.QUOTE]

Just thinking about it... this went on for 18 Months Correct? Where in the H3LL was the Boss?? you me to tell me the Boss didn't Realize His equipment Missing???? I dun no about you but i sure as Sh!t would notice equipment Missing...also how the h3ll did he get it out the door with no one seeing Him...?

I don't no about you guys but I think I would have notice a bit sooner than 18 Month's that somthing was goin on...in my shop.. so in away I blame the Boss/Owner for his losses also..poor ownership or Managment in my book.