• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Since I was called out.......................

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
"Each of us is all the sums he has not counted: subtract us into nakedness and night again, and you shall see begin in Crete four thousand years ago the love that ended yesterday in Texas. . . . The seed of our destruction will blossom in the desert, the alexin of our cure grows by a mountain rock, and our lives are haunted by a Georgia slattern, because a London cutpurse went unhung. Each moment is the fruit of forty thousand years. The minute-winning days, like flies, buzz home to death, and every moment is a window on all time."

Thomas Wolfe

Marlene

I'm not sure about your neck of the woods, but where I come from, if you mess with a friend, you just messed with me....But what do i know - i'm just a dumb hick from Ohio....

here too, but then "things are different up in Vermont" as Addie pointed out to me...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known."

Charles Dickens

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Makes sense since that's where the book was set. :thumb:

Not quite. Although he was from Shillington, about 3 minutes southwest of Reading, it was really about a looser from a town more like Scranton, but the area was/is so underdeveloped they came to Reading to film it, which he knew he could count on and where back then a whole heck of a lot more was going on..... not to mention most of the people around here had all their teeth in their mouth. It was a better place for getting extras and the area does resemble Coal Cracker country.

My wife was an extra in that movie. She was on set for a few days. She was only in crowd scenes.
:wink:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not quite. Although he was from Shillington, about 3 minutes southwest of Reading, it was really about a looser from a town more like Scranton, but the area was/is so underdeveloped they came to Reading to film it, which he knew he could count on and where back then a whole heck of a lot more was going on..... not to mention most of the people around here had all their teeth in their mouth. It was a better place for getting extras and the area does resemble Coal Cracker country.

My wife was an extra in that movie. She was on set for a few days. She was only in crowd scenes.
:wink:

I stand corrected. :Oops: Clicky

Last edited:

SignManiac

I've had nightmares about my seed of destruction blossoming! I shudder to think there could be more of me running around.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've had nightmares about my seed of destruction blossoming! I shudder to think there could be more of me running around.

Actually it's a fascinating quote taken from Look Homeward Angel ... published in 1929. Many think it was prophetic.

"The seed of our destruction blossoms in the desert" is thought to be a prediction of the atomic bomb in 1945. "The alexin of a cure" is thought to be penicillin ... closer in time, discovered in 1928, but not widely known until the second world war.