• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tapatalk app for signs 101? can we can we.

TheSnowman

Just got it too. Was reading about it weeks ago, but didn't know what was involved. If we need to get something else to upload pics, we can, but hopefully these guys will get it back to how it should be setup.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
fred,

i think i understand why you don't want the offsite pics, cuz you don't have control over them.

but this server doesn't seem to be going anywhere, so you shouldn't have to worry about broken links. if it's content your worried about, you always have the delete and ban function to use.

i think todays world is mobile and you need to stay with the changing technology, i think this is a definite plus for the users and the site.

IMHO

CES020

It's about giving someone else control over your content. Not a smart thing to do. If you hosting your website and put all the images for your portfolio and examples on another server controlled by someone else, and they stopped paying the bills or moved on to other projects, or their server crashed and they weren't doing proper backups, then your site would be hosed. Same thing here. Why spend all your time and effort building a site that's all in tact, only to give bits and pieces out for someone else to manage, a perfect stranger that has no interest in your site. Very bad thing to do. Very bad.

Fred's got it spot on, control the content yourself, on your own servers.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
fred,

i think i understand why you don't want the offsite pics, cuz you don't have control over them.

but this server doesn't seem to be going anywhere, so you shouldn't have to worry about broken links. if it's content your worried about, you always have the delete and ban function to use.

i think todays world is mobile and you need to stay with the changing technology, i think this is a definite plus for the users and the site.

IMHO

Dave ... it isn't just a matter of having control over them. It is about maintaining a useful archive for Signs 101. Towards that end, we have a policy of how we want image attachment handled. 99%+ of our members understand and follow those policies. Now a program developer comes along and decides that they will take charge of the uploads (meaning they own them) and arbitrarily do away with the attachment feature, leaving only hot linking as a way to display the image. There are a number of other issues that concern other site owners as well which include

• hot linking
  • theft of bandwidth
  • certain copyright matters
It doesn't matter that Tapatalk isn't going anywhere in your opinion or theirs or that their intentions are good. What does matter is that they could fail as a company and be gone or that they could arbitrarily decide that they no longer wish to store these images and everyone depending on their hosting would lose that content.

Tapatalk has posted at their forum that they will fix this issue. It will not, however, be fixed quickly and they have indicated that it will not be until after they finish other matters they consider more important ... like getting a version completed for a new iPhone. Since they already have the code and could issue a patch in a matter of a day or two, this seems to me and others that they still don't get it. So why would I trust any of our archive content to a company with priorities like these?

At the suggestion of a couple of members here, I did a bit of research on the Forum Runner app last night and it seems to be better suited to our needs. They use the standard attachment feature and primarily seem to be lagging in supporting smart-phones other than iPhone and Droid. How many members here are or want to use Blackberry phones or any other brand? I have entered some technical questions at their support forum and, on receiving my answers, will probably be switching to Forum Runner and removing Tapatalk.

rcook99

FRED At the suggestion of a couple of members here, I did a bit of research on the Forum Runner app last night and it seems to be better suited to our needs. They use the standard attachment feature and primarily seem to be lagging in supporting smart-phones other than iPhone and Droid. How many members here are or want to use Blackberry phones or any other brand? I have entered some technical questions at their support forum and, on receiving my answers, will probably be switching to Forum Runner and removing Tapatalk.

Aw son of a B$%#@, I just spent $2.99 for taptalk and now your gonna switch to Forum Runner...please tell me Forum Runner is FREE. I can't take wasting all this money.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::U Rock:
Just messing with ya Fred whatever makes this a better place I'm all for it. Hope you have a GREAT day.
RC.:thumb:

TheSnowman

Yea, if I wasted $3, I wasted $3. Maybe my other forums use it, who knows. Or, once they fix that problem, maybe it can be used properly.

VINYLIMAGEZ

I registered on the tapatalk forums, and yes! a lot of forum owners are not happy with the picture uploading to tapatalk servers, I made a comment on that particular thread also.

I also have been reading on the Forumrunner app, the bad thing is that it doesn't support the blackberry/Nokia platform.

GypsyGraphics

I don't mind at all spending a few bucks trying out several apps, to find one that's a good fit for S101.

The convenience of a mobile site is great, but the integrity of THIS SITE should be and obviously is Fred's highest priority.

dj_elite

I have a smartphone and just use my internet for SIGNS101! I never tried uploading an image though?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I use a blackberry and would love to be able to browse Signs 101 from it! It'll give me something to do while I sit in traffic for 2 hours a day....errr..just kidding. (they just made any use of cellphones while driving illegal)

So should I download tapatalk or wait till you switch?

That depends on whether you want the free limited version or the full version for $2.99. The question I am waiting to hear an answer to from Forum Runner is whether there would be any conflict running both apps on Signs 101 side by side. If so then it will not matter other than that I have no intention of allowing offsite pics to be posted at Signs 101.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I just received word that there is no conflict running both apps side by side, so I will get it set up later tonight. My recommendation, if you are running an iPhone or a Droid, is to get the Forum Runner app. Blackberry/Nokia users are stuck with the Tapatalk app for now. Either way, anyone using Tapatalk to post offsite images at Signs 101 be beaten without mercy after which they will be flogged, stoned, and then beaten again.

SignManiac

I'll download the Forum Runner app too and see if that's any better than tapatap. Otherwise I'll just stick with using Safari on my iphone.

p3

Whoever was looking for a shortcut...there is a widget for it, so it can be up on one of your home screens...if thats what you were looking for?

iSign

I just received word that there is no conflict running both apps side by side, so I will get it set up later tonight. My recommendation, if you are running an iPhone or a Droid, is to get the Forum Runner app. Blackberry/Nokia users are stuck with the Tapatalk app for now. Either way, anyone using Tapatalk to post offsite images at Signs 101 be beaten without mercy after which they will be flogged, stoned, and then beaten again.

from a data integrity standpoint, I am & have always been 100% behind the superior business model here at signs101, whereby our important archives have the integrity they do today because of not allowing offsite images, or hot linking...

but the quote above contains a link to an offsite URL... something done in threads here everyday, and something that could become a broken link tomorrow...

if people are out on an installation & want to say "hey S101 buds... check this bitchin' install I just knocked out"... well, I don't think it's really the end of the world if we provide a link to see that image.. because it's still just a "link" just like your link!...

Now, if people start posting earth shattering new developments in sign technology, or impressive step-by-step demos and tutorials & providing links to offsite content, of course that compromises the archives for everyone, including the next generation... and of course I don't support that any more then you do...I just don't think I've ever been aware of limitations to the links we are allowed to post, except pertaining to self promotion... and that's really why I'm posting...

are there rules against links that I am not aware of?