• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Bad Wrap update

HulkSmash

OK. This is bad info. First, the Bad Wrap software does not suck. It is a great idea and a huge time-saver if you know how to use it properly. If the template for your vehicle is in the list, it can save you a bunch of time, especially for someone who is new to wrap design. Photographing, masking, and setup of a template (even for a good designer) can take a good chunk of time.

BUT, there in lies the problem. It has gone through several owners and was not properly supported or updated. I am aware that it is under new ownership and just because the website domain hasn't been transferred, it doesn't mean that it isn't in the works.

I would keep an eye out for news regarding this in upcoming weeks :wink:. This has huge potential and if properly supported and updated, could be great stuff. Even in its origianl form, it worked very well. I was just disappointed in the lack of updates as it went through different owners. But if the new owners are passionate about the product, this could all turn around.

The software is awful. No organization, templates that don't fit, and patterns that make every single wrap look cheesy. It was awful from release, before it went though 11 owners.. or whatever it is. If you think it's good for someone who is new to wrap design you're wrong. IT's steering them down the wrong path, a path for failure in future designs. I guess the premasking is good.. that's about it. More then anything it's good to use for proofing to show clients.. that's about it

SignBurst PCs

The software is awful. No organization, templates that don't fit, and patterns that make every single wrap look cheesy. It was awful from release, before it went though 11 owners.. or whatever it is. If you think it's good for someone who is new to wrap design you're wrong. IT's steering them down the wrong path, a path for failure in future designs. I guess the premasking is good.. that's about it.

I am not aware of any "patterns" provided for design purposes. There may have been some sort of "bonus" images included, but if you use the software correctly, you can use whatever images that you have available. They are all Photoshop templates (layered tiffs) and Photoshop is a very powerful design software. The cheesy designs are products of the designer (user) as these are vehicle templates, not designs.

As far as new users go, they are actually headed down the correct path. They are taught to use masks and layers in Photoshop. Granted, the layers and masks are already setup in the file in the template (thus the time savings), but it is using Photoshop to do all the work. Eventually, a new designer will become a seasoned designer and understand the masks and layers and learn how to use them without the templates. There is nothing different about the Bad Wrap templates. They are run of the mill layered tiffs in Photoshop. They do use slightly advanced techniques such as layers and masks, but I do stress the term "slightly advanced". They are not magic, just time savers. Someone has done much of the legwork for you. To be honest, I have read that the software is changing and am pretty excited to see it, but the old stuff was pretty good if you know how to utilize it.

The support (and training) was lacking. This is where I think it failed. Even if a product is great, it is useless if no one can teach you how to use it. Everyone has the right to their own opinion and I respect that. I do suspect that at least some of the folks that say it sucks aren't utilizing it at 100% of its potential. This is where the new team could improve.

jkdbjj

I just was hoping that it helped with making "print ready" files easier. We normally do it in Illustrator, but I can see how it could go quicker using software like BadWraps. Anyway, thanks for the feedback...

jkdbjj

I am not aware of any "patterns" provided for design purposes. There may have been some sort of "bonus" images included, but if you use the software correctly, you can use whatever images that you have available. They are all Photoshop templates (layered tiffs) and Photoshop is a very powerful design software. The cheesy designs are products of the designer (user) as these are vehicle templates, not designs.

As far as new users go, they are actually headed down the correct path. They are taught to use masks and layers in Photoshop. Granted, the layers and masks are already setup in the file in the template (thus the time savings), but it is using Photoshop to do all the work. Eventually, a new designer will become a seasoned designer and understand the masks and layers and learn how to use them without the templates. There is nothing different about the Bad Wrap templates. They are run of the mill layered tiffs in Photoshop. They do use slightly advanced techniques such as layers and masks, but I do stress the term "slightly advanced". They are not magic, just time savers. Someone has done much of the legwork for you. To be honest, I have read that the software is changing and am pretty excited to see it, but the old stuff was pretty good if you know how to utilize it.

The support (and training) was lacking. This is where I think it failed. Even if a product is great, it is useless if no one can teach you how to use it. Everyone has the right to their own opinion and I respect that. I do suspect that at least some of the folks that say it sucks aren't utilizing it at 100% of its potential. This is where the new team could improve.
So if I am very proficient with Photoshop, it sounds like this will be a time saver. It is selling for less then 400 now, but I am think I should wait a couple months to see what the owners do with it?

SignBurst PCs

So if I am very proficient with Photoshop, it sounds like this will be a time saver. It is selling for less then 400 now, but I am think I should wait a couple months to see what the owners do with it?

Absolutely, IF THE TEMPLATES YOU NEED ARE IN THE SOFTWARE!

If you are proficient in Photoshop layers, masks, and layer groups, this is a very big time saver. If you are not, it is still going to save you time, but you aren't going to understand how it works. That is the beauty of it. You don't have to be a big time Photoshop user to use it. You just have to know a few steps in the software. Like I said, training is a bit lacking though. If anyone ever needs help with learning how to use it, don't hesitate to ask me (or the new team of course). I am pretty familiar with the software.

MatthewTimothy

I just was hoping that it helped with making "print ready" files easier. We normally do it in Illustrator, but I can see how it could go quicker using software like BadWraps. Anyway, thanks for the feedback...

you can still bring it in photoshop. Thats what we do. We do ALL text work and anything else we can do in Illustrator and bring it in Photoshop for detailing effects.

jkdbjj

you can still bring it in photoshop. Thats what we do. We do ALL text work and anything else we can do in Illustrator and bring it in Photoshop for detailing effects.
yeah same here.. again I am just checking the waters out there for easier ways. Especially if we bring new people to the company, I want to have an easier way for these print ready files to get done.

HulkSmash

Any good designer is going to design 90% of a wrap in illustrator. NOT Photoshop. It's very rare that you're going to find a talented designer design wraps in Photoshop. Photoshop is used for "light" effects. And if a wrap is partially designed in photoshop, it should always be imported into illustrator to have point to point vector text. When a customer says, "hey i deigned my wrap in illustrator, i just need you to set it up for print" I know that we're in for a nightmare. In most cases it takes us longer to setup their file then for us to design it from scratch ourselves in illustrator. just my opinion

MatthewTimothy

yeah same here.. again I am just checking the waters out there for easier ways. Especially if we bring new people to the company, I want to have an easier way for these print ready files to get done.

Any good designer is going to design 90% of a wrap in illustrator. NOT Photoshop. It's very rare that you're going to find a talented designer design wraps in Photoshop. Photoshop is used for "light" effects. And if a wrap is partially designed in photoshop, it should always be imported into illustrator to have point to point vector text. When a customer says, "hey i deigned my wrap in illustrator, i just need you to set it up for print" I know that we're in for a nightmare. In most cases it takes us longer to setup their file then for us to design it from scratch ourselves in illustrator. just my opinion

this is why I still stand by my original post that the Bad Wrap is more of a reference to the client of what their designs can look like on a vehicle but it is not a good reference for printing directly to the printers.

SignBurst PCs

I disagree. For files the size needed for vehicle wraps, Photoshop, without a doubt, is my software of choice. I will do any vector work in Illustrator and drag it into my main design in Photoshop as a Smart Object (to keep it vector and editable). Photoshop is not just for effects and it capable of MUCH BETTER performance in larger files if you are dealing with any raster images at all (I would bet that you usually are). In my opinion, you have your design process backwards (at least for vehicle wraps). You can keep editable vector in Photoshop using Smart Objects and have the best of all worlds. Now this is just my opinion, but it is an educated one.

P.S. A smart object is simply a layer in Photoshop that references a editable vector Illustrator file. You can click the layer and it will open Illustrator so you can edit the vector image. When you are finished editing the vector image, click SAVE and you are right back to Photoshop with the changes incorporated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We don't do as many full wraps as many on here, but we've done our share. Partial wraps seems to be more of what most people can afford... at least in our market area.

As for the difference between Illustrator vs. Photoshop, I think you'll find far more people designing in Illustrator. Seems to be faster and easier to work in then Photoshop. However, don't limit yourself, both have good points. Whatever your workflow is and how it works.... is where one must decide. The two programs are so interactive, I don't see the necessity to beat each other up on this one. There is no reason you can’t use both, so use them as needed.

SignBurst PCs

We don't do as many full wraps as many on here, but we've done our share. Partial wraps seems to be more of what most people can afford... at least in our market area.

As for the difference between Illustrator vs. Photoshop, I think you'll find far more people designing in Illustrator. Seems to be faster and easier to work in then Photoshop. However, don't limit yourself, both have good points. Whatever your workflow is and how it works.... is where one must decide. The two programs are so interactive, I don't see the necessity to beat each other up on this one. There is no reason you can’t use both, so use them as needed.

My thoughts exactly. They are both necessary and work very well together (drag and drop). With vehicle wraps, I am a Photoshop user dragging in Smart Objects from Illustrator (unless all vector). For many other designs and layout, Illustrator all the way.

I am not bashing one software or the other, please don't get me wrong. They are different, but meant to work together. If you are using one, but not the other, you are definitely missing out.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'm much the same - both programs are almost always open and most designs are done in PS with any vector elements brought in as smart objects. You have so much more abilities with PS layer styles. God knows - do NOT try drop shadows on full size wrap objects in Illustrator.... unless you like waiting at lot every time you touch even look at that object wrong lol.

That being said - if the wrap design happens to be something that can be pure vector I'll happily work the entire job in Illy and sometimes do.

As far as the Bad Wrap. I emailed to see what the discount would be for existing owners.... Sergio emailed me a link to 50% off. Have not yet bit but I'm considering it. We always double check measurements and the way the files are built does save a nice bit of time and makes for nice looking quick proofs. We got a steal of a deal on the hard drive version a couple of years ago from Fellers.... Have not used it a ton but if the vehicle is in there we do.

HulkSmash

I disagree. For files the size needed for vehicle wraps, Photoshop, without a doubt, is my software of choice. I will do any vector work in Illustrator and drag it into my main design in Photoshop as a Smart Object (to keep it vector and editable). Photoshop is not just for effects and it capable of MUCH BETTER performance in larger files if you are dealing with any raster images at all (I would bet that you usually are). In my opinion, you have your design process backwards (at least for vehicle wraps). You can keep editable vector in Photoshop using Smart Objects and have the best of all worlds. Now this is just my opinion, but it is an educated one.

P.S. A smart object is simply a layer in Photoshop that references a editable vector Illustrator file. You can click the layer and it will open Illustrator so you can edit the vector image. When you are finished editing the vector image, click SAVE and you are right back to Photoshop with the changes incorporated.

we do about 6 wrap designs a day, i don't think we're doing it backwards. Illustrator can load about 20 times faster, and why would i move my vector back and forward. I always find myself editing swirls and swooshes so much in the vector side it almost seems redundant to do it the way you're suggesting. I know you can do an editable file, but it's always too much work. imo illustrator does a more professional job in wraps. and also handles files better.

HulkSmash

I def. Agree the 2 programs play in harmony together, i just feel that illustrator can load larger files much faster. Not to mention i like to work to full size as possible, which is only possibly with illustrator.

ProWraps

casey. you build computers.

i wrap hundreds of cars a year.

im glad you are here to guide me and colorado on how to do our jobs.

cause clearly, you know how to do it much better than we do.

SignBurst PCs

we do about 6 wrap designs a day, i don't think we're doing it backwards. Illustrator can load about 20 times faster, and why would i move my vector back and forward. I always find myself editing swirls and swooshes so much in the vector side it almost seems redundant to do it the way you're suggesting. I know you can do an editable file, but it's always too much work. imo illustrator does a more professional job in wraps. and also handles files better.

To each his own I guess. I am not doubting your abilities or knowledge. In my huble opinion, most would be better served doing it the other way around (unless you are 100% vector). Using smart objects is not moving things around. They are part of the Photoshop file, but edit in Illustrator. No more work. no more effort, just time savings.

As far as Illustrator handling files better, that is only the case if you are strictly vector (which is fine). But if you have any raster elements or would like to use Photoshop's advanced design features, Photoshop is ABSOLUTELY going to handle your file faster.