• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Man Cave project

SignManiac

Gino these are the real deal embossed tin ceilings. Pricey too! But you just can't get that vintage look any other way. I waited quite a while before biting the bullet. Next on the list is this goose neck lamp for over the dart board.

Attachments

• Hammerworks goose neck lamp.gif
    Hammerworks goose neck lamp.gif
    30.3 KB · Views: 108

SignManiac

Latest addition to the project

So I found a 110 year old antique parlor stove and just finished a complete restoration on it. I don't plan to use it for heating, it's strictly a decorative piece to tie in with the steampunk theme I have going on.

I disassembled the entire stove, then sandblasted all the cast metal down to bare, changed the color from original black to a jade green and used a high temperature stove paint. Then I found an electroplating company that refinished all the nickle plating. All total I have about $1,200.00 into the stove but now it's worth twice that much. There is just something about the beauty of this stove that I admire, especially considering how long ago it was made. It puts a smile on my face whenever I look at it!

So another piece completed and twenty more projects planned.

Attachments

• Peninsular 414 Parlor Stove-01 before.jpg
    Peninsular 414 Parlor Stove-01 before.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 123
  • Peninsular 414 Parlor Stove-02 after.jpg
    Peninsular 414 Parlor Stove-02 after.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 152

synergy_jim

So I found a 110 year old antique parlor stove and just finished a complete restoration on it. I don't plan to use it for heating, it's strictly a decorative piece to tie in with the steampunk theme I have going on.

I disassembled the entire stove, then sandblasted all the cast metal down to bare, changed the color from original black to a jade green and used a high temperature stove paint. Then I found an electroplating company that refinished all the nickle plating. All total I have about $1,200.00 into the stove but now it's worth twice that much. There is just something about the beauty of this stove that I admire, especially considering how long ago it was made. It puts a smile on my face whenever I look at it!

That is straight up bad *** right there!!!!!!

rjssigns

Nice parlor stove. My sister was refurbing hers in the driveway a few years back. Guy pulled up and said: "I'll give ya three grand right now". She said she really didn't want to clean it up anyway.:Big Laugh

Suz

Wow! I love your man cave! Reminds me of when I was a kid.... Had lots of Brothers and they had a great tree house. I could climb trees pretty good, so I'd sneak up there whenever I could. Fun times! What a great place to goof around and relax. Nice work! Looking at all your pictures made me feel like I was in the tree house. :) No girls allowed, haha!

Nice parlor stove. My sister was refurbing hers in the driveway a few years back. Guy pulled up and said: "I'll give ya three grand right now". She said she really didn't want to clean it up anyway.:Big Laugh

SignManiac

Another piece. This is in the separate lounge area that I'm working on.

Galvanized letters and rust iron scrolls that were given to me.

Attachments

• Cave wall lettering.jpg
    Cave wall lettering.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 94

SignManiac

Two more small pieces. Need dry erase boards for darts and shuffleboard table. Threw these together last week. Work has been busy so no major add ons until the holidays.

Attachments

• Dart Scoreboard.jpg
    Dart Scoreboard.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Shuffleboard scoreboard.jpg
    Shuffleboard scoreboard.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 101

Very cool stove. My father in law has one that he restored when he was little. Right about the same age as yours. Bought it for $15,000. It's now worth about $100,000 Keep that stove. You don't see many these days especially in that shape. Very cool piece. His has a lot of isinglass all around though.

SignManiac

Just another update

This is the most recent project. First photo shows the before picture. Complete ground up restoration on my 1964 Brunswick pool table. Stripped the legs down to bare wood, stained and clear coated. Put new polished brass levelers on. Sanded and did body work on the side skirts, then painted two tone metallic Matthews paint. Designed all the steampunkery, cut out on the router table, paint and applied with assorted junk from around the shop.

I had new cushions installed on the rails, recovered to top with new cloth, changed out all the original chrome pieces with polished brass to match feet and overall color scheme from the rest of the room. I think that's about it.

More projects planned, stay tuned.

Attachments

• brunswick-02.jpg
    brunswick-02.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 122
  • BW-002.jpg
    BW-002.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 111
  • BW-01.jpg
    BW-01.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 122
  • BW-03.jpg
    BW-03.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 124
  • BW-05.jpg
    BW-05.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 112
  • BW-07.jpg
    BW-07.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 116
  • BW-09.jpg
    BW-09.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 121
  • BW-12.jpg
    BW-12.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 89
  • BW-13.jpg
    BW-13.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 2015-11-06 16.29.24.jpg
    2015-11-06 16.29.24.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 113

SignManiac

Thanks Big EZ. I put a lot of detail in this one. Still might have one more thing to add. Undecided at this point. Made most of it, and purchased some too. Most importantly, it plays really well. Perfectly balanced and the table is fast, which I prefer. Next is better lighting over the table. That's next!

Thanks Big EZ. I put a lot of detail in this one. Still might have one more thing to add. Undecided at this point. Made most of it, and purchased some too. Most importantly, it plays really well. Perfectly balanced and the table is fast, which I prefer. Next is better lighting over the table. That's next!

It would be cool, I think, YOu might have better ideas, to keep with the theme of the table and do some edison bulbs in a steampunk layout. I saw a overhead table light this guy had made and it had working gears in it also. They didn't do anything but spin but it made it that much better.

SignManiac

You're not to far off from the direction I was planning to got with the light. I have this oldish, vintagey, looking pool table light that needs some detailing. Wrap around copper pipe, some gears, and if I can find the Edison light bulbs, that would be really cool!

Attachments

• 2015-11-09 16.16.16.jpg
    2015-11-09 16.16.16.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 103

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Frickin' saweeet.

I'd perfect my massé shot in no time with that set up. Where's the wet bar ??

SignManiac

No wet bar. Decided to make this an Amish only man cave with prayer sessions before and after. Apple cider is on the house :)

rjssigns

You're not to far off from the direction I was planning to got with the light. I have this oldish, vintagey, looking pool table light that needs some detailing. Wrap around copper pipe, some gears, and if I can find the Edison light bulbs, that would be really cool!

Here's your Edison Bulbs all modern and PC and tree hugging.:Big Laugh https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/116520/PLT-LVTSED1930022K1.html

I think they look trick and have a couple ideas for them.