• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Vaccine - you going to take it or no?

Stacey K

I like making signs
o_O Flu shot is a vaccine.
Technically, yes. I think most people think of a vaccine as something you take once or get a booster shot for like MMR or Tetanus. That was the assumption I had, and others, when the talk started about a vaccine, one and done.

twmiller24

I'll get a vaccine. I don't want to get COVID, or pass it on, and I won't mind getting back to some semblance of normal soon.

Bly

The flu shot is required every year and that is only 50% effective. I still get it though on my doctor's recommendation.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The flu shot is required every year and that is only 50% effective. I still get it though on my doctor's recommendation.

I was under the impression that there was a new/mutated flu each year, hence requiring a new jab each time. Similar to what's happening with Covid now, however they think this vaccine should also be affective for these variants due to the way mRNA works versus a traditional vaccine that uses inactive/weakened virus loads.

k_graham

Slow news day, figured we'd need something to post about.
We have access to the vaccine now. Healthcare workers and oldsters first. I fit into one of these categories so I'm wondering what the consensus is. I normally get all my medical info from sign people (as does everyone).

I passed one of the shot locations set up at a high school on my way to work. The line in was bumper to bumper extending all the way into another village (considered a long line in Guam units). Not planning on making a day of it so I'll wait at least until the lines thin out or I see that people are not being turned into the walking dead.[/
We are semi retired wintering in Mexico away from our print and sign business that we are selling to our employees as a ESOP at our small retirement hotel on Playalinda beach Tapachula so may be last in line so I have time to use the following Conspiracy theory. Because of the links I am attaching we are taking Vitamin D + a multivitamin and is available to our small staff. Of course in addition here we have available lots of sunlight but as my wife has an overactive Thyroid it seems she requires a boost.
Subject: Don’t Let COVID-19 Patients Die With Vitamin D Deficiency or other Vitamin or Mineral Deficiency.

An interesting report on Covid for those of us who do not yet have access to the Vaccine.
https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90530

It also references a study

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-77093-z

where 97 % of serious cases were Vitamin D deficient. See Pie graph B. I am not going to suggest this puts it ahead of the 95% efficient vaccines as without the vaccine you do stand to get Covid, the difference is it appears a normal healthy person would then see it as a minor flu like sickness. Combine the 2 and see the benefits of both really kick in.

Perhaps the most interesting point regards the medpage article made in the comments section no.4 at the end of the article

https://hopefulgeranium.blogspot.com/2020/08/selenium-reduces-covid-19-risk-back-of.html
In that information a reference in a study mentions "100% of the patients in this study with severe outcomes, including death, were selenium deficient; 75% were vitamin D deficient"
I would suggest that a multi vitamin is a good idea to prevent a severe outcome due to any particular single vitamin or mineral deficiency as they typically include Selenium as well as Zinc and Vitamin B12. In addition a Vitamin D supplement be taken up to 4000 iu a day as recommended by a doctor or via direct sunlight to make your own Vitamin D. Indeed a couple hours at the beach in your swimsuit could provide up to 20,000 iu boost as long as you maintain separation so as not to acquire Covid during your visit to a wide open sunny space.
Comment 3 , may explain why Vitamin D is not being used.
RN January 5, 2021

It is shameful that patients are not getting treated for vitamin D deficiency and the same hold true in cancer care. Checking vitamin D levels is a simple blood test and supplementation is cheap and easy. So what is the problem? Its not fancy enough, or no one can patent it? It so shameful that people are dying and could be saved by this simple remedy. If a person is vitamin D deficient, why not treat it? Signed RN

Calculating that up to 1000 iu a day is used and the additional 3000 may be absorbed. Indications are that we need 1000 iu stored in our per pound body weight. This would indicate someone 200 pounds staying in doors and not getting sunlight could need 66 days of 4000 iu supplement to get to desired ratio of Vitamin D. Is it any wonder so many are dying due to quarantine away from the sun?

If you agree please share with your friends and enemies. If you disagree or are employeed by a big drug company with a vested interest, kindly add your arguments and share.

k_graham

I just got a 600,000 IU injection for another issue... I should be Covid invincible now :D
But it is fat soluable so needs time to work itself in which would be the reason it is a bit late to get it once already sick with Covid. But still if your system was that low your doctor did that, those studies would indicate you would be at high risk of hospitalization if you did contract Covid. Now don't forget the multivitamin for the Selenium.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Yeah, was just severely deficient and was starting to get extremely fatigued. It was actually around 6 weeks ago, so should be reading fairly good numbers now.
Thankfully no more Covid in our area so there should be an extremely low chance of contracting anything until the vaccination eventually gets approved over here.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Val47

Slow news day, figured we'd need something to post about.
We have access to the vaccine now. Healthcare workers and oldsters first. I fit into one of these categories so I'm wondering what the consensus is. I normally get all my medical info from sign people (as does everyone).

I passed one of the shot locations set up at a high school on my way to work. The line in was bumper to bumper extending all the way into another village (considered a long line in Guam units). Not planning on making a day of it so I'll wait at least until the lines thin out or I see that people are not being turned into the walking dead.
Sounds like if you're on the fence, or don't want it - your in luck - there isn't enough to go around anyway.
I just hope that for those that do want it, will be able to get it. Ah, the saga continues...

k_graham

Yeah, was just severely deficient and was starting to get extremely fatigued. It was actually around 6 weeks ago, so should be reading fairly good numbers now.
Thankfully no more Covid in our area so there should be an extremely low chance of contracting anything until the vaccination eventually gets approved over here.
Did they suggest supplements to keep it up ?

Have they checked your Thyroid function?

My wife's low Vitamin D count was an indicator of a overactive Thyroid issue, She takes a pill daily for the Thyroid hormone and a 2000 iu Vitamin D3. Her Vitamin D level recently checked at 35 with 30-100 being considered normal but now she is also taking a multivitamin so a bit more there plus possibly the extra minerals to better absorb the vitamin D3. Since discovered a decade ago 2 other of her cousins have diagnosed with the issue and it sounds like a 3rd is now having symptoms. The one older than her that went so long undiagnosed has had heart and kidney issues, the other operated for Thyroid cancer. It does appear to run in families.

Bly

Glad I Don't live in the states! (New Zealand) For the record I would not take the vaccine but I understand those that do.

That's fine but you're going to need proof of vaccination to get on a plane shortly so you better not want to go overseas.

I'm old enough to remember needing proof of smallpox vax to fly back in the day.