• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Think of it this way....

MikePro

i’m not sick, but i wear a mask out in public places ...out of courtesy. just like holding the door for someone, stopping a car for a duck crossing, or letting a woman go first at a point of intersection. its just my thing, and i hope it would be more people’s too.

believe what you will about masks, but if it simply makes others feel better during these crazy times...then count me in.

edited to add, the first person to die of covid. my county was a close family friend. he may have been 70, but he was a fit, sharp, & healthy dude with an ER nurse as a daughter. caught a flight home from florida vacation early because of the looming pandemic, felt sick a few weeks later and thought he just had a cold. daughter even agreed his symptoms didnt appear serious... found him home, alone, dead in bed a cpl days later. suffocated in his sleep. scary stuff, as the brushoff of pre-existing conditions is lost on me.

Last edited:

NZMaker

Looking in from the outside, the biggest threat is the kooks that say a) it’s just the flu b) it’s political to ‘get’ Trump c) they’re lying about the numbers for, whatever reason d) any Q or relatdd conspiracy.

The reality is that you in the US are in a situation of your own making

The reason you are the world centre for this pandemic is because you listen to idiots, politicise everything, believe in your rights above everything, where the virus just doesn’t care.

My country got news of the virus weeks after the US and since May18 have been back to normal - bars, restaurants, schools, department stores, malls, beaches, parks open - we beat it by following the health guidelines, shutting all but essential services -gas stations and supermarkets, restricting travel, paying people to stay home.

Four weeks of boring stay at home isolation and we were done

Your freedoms have gone to your head

Eric H

Looking in from the outside, the biggest threat is the kooks that say a) it’s just the flu b) it’s political to ‘get’ Trump c) they’re lying about the numbers for, whatever reason d) any Q or relatdd conspiracy.

The reason you are the world centre for this pandemic is because you listen to idiots, politicise everything, believe in your rights above everything, where the virus just doesn’t care.

My country got news of the virus weeks after the US and since May18 have been back to normal - bars, restaurants, schools, department stores, malls, beaches, parks open - we beat it by following the health guidelines, shutting all but essential services -gas stations and supermarkets, restricting travel, paying people to stay home.

As an American you are 100% correct on every point.

NZMaker

Honestly we look on in horror and wonder how your ‘leadership’ got so self-serving, so bad. The power of money to corrupt is most evident in your politicians response.

We too are in an election year, but the three main parties just got together and decided beating the virus was the most important thing.

I look at where we are and am so grateful there was no question about the big three items - isolate, wash your hands, wear a mask. It’s basic viral epidemiology, not rocket science.

The virus has, in modern medical settings, a mortality rate of 3-5%. Once your medical system is overloaded, that becomes the ‘raw’ rate of 13-15%, as happened in Italy.

My friends in Houston and Mesa both say that their hospitals are near breaking point and many staff are sick.

The infection to serious infection rate is stable across countries - 13-15% get sick enough to need hospitalisation, 6% need ICU/intubation, half of those die.

The more you can keep your hospitals and, more importantly, your hospital staff functioning efficiently, the less deaths you’ll have.

Thinking that you have lots of cases because you have lots of testing misses the point by a long way - tests show infections, they don’t create them.

I can’t say how many millions of tests were done here, and they uncovered ~1200 cases, who were isolated, treated and sadly, 22 succumbed. The millions of tests didn’t create cases, they highlighted them and allowed the medical staff to treat them and the government to isolate them.

That’s what you do with infections.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I was in the ER (not as a patient) a few nights ago and it was like a scene from a third world country. They were over 100% full, the patient I was there with was they put in a closet blocked off with a blue tarp and a makeshift zipper to close it. There was no bed, just a chair a small medical table. The entire wing you could hear people screaming, coughing up lungs and babies crying a coughing. People were yelling for nurses and the staff was running around like chickens with their heads cut off. That was insane.. and this was in Plano, TX.

This virus is nasty stuff, even for healthy.

rossmosh

So I dont wear a mask IM THE REASON this disease will last forever, but no one mentions the rioters? Miles of rioters shoulder to shoulder for days tearing crap up?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Find me an article telling me there is a correlation and I'd be happy to read it. There are tons that state that not wearing masks or following the simple rules does correlate though...

NZMaker

And now there is this huge surge in America from young people. All I hear people in the media blaming it on is the Memorial Day July 4th holidays... guess it couldn't of been from all those rioting crowds.... no one wants to touch that subjet.

I will say, I was surprised to see the Cubs on yesterday and so many fans in the stadium... thought we weren't supposed to do that.

Most protestors seemed to be wearing masks. Can’t speak to the rioters, I really haven’t bothered following them. But you know who wasn’t wearing masks, were commingling in crowded bars and restaurants, were acting like it wasn’t the middle of a pandemic?

The stupid.

I am bemused by the attitude. As my mother used to say ‘If John jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?’

Don’t worry what the rioters are doing, worry about yourself.

You wash your hands, you wear a mask and you keep your distance, and make sure everyone in your house does the same and you will be fine.

NZMaker

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Find me an article telling me there is a correlation and I'd be happy to read it. There are tons that state that not wearing masks or following the simple rules does correlate though...

I saw an apt comment the other day:” if you have trouble breathing while wearing a mask, you’re very likely to be one of the 6% that is very badly affected by COVID-19 and should be taking extra precautions, not less “

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
masking.jpg

Reveal1

Easy to say for someone living on an island of 268,000 sq. Kms with just 5mil people and geographically distant from the world's trade centers. The US is the economic engine with unparalled freedom of movement. We take in more legal immigrants than anyone in the world. As a result of being the crossroads of movement of people, unfortunately we expose ourselves to ideas, cultures, commerce and yes disease from far flung places. Those freedoms do often come with a price. I'll take that risk gladly over regimes such as China, who will likely be controlling your daily life in the not so distant future, maybe (but where did that virus originate again?) with more safety, but certainly with fewer of the freedoms that you apparently don't value that much anyway. .

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let's not forget, by the time your little island quarantined the place, we already had huge numbers of infected people. You don't have anywhere near the in & out of people, visitors or possible contamination we do in this country. It's very easy to play Monday night quarterback. Don't get used to it.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Let's not forget, by the time your little island quarantined the place, we already had huge numbers of infected people. You don't have anywhere near the in & out of people, visitors or possible contamination we do in this country. It's very easy to play Monday night quarterback. Don't get used to it.

Quirky fact: NZ gets approx. 85% of their population worth of visitors every year, USA gets approx. 23% of total population worth of visitors per year so I feel they would somehow be more vulnerable on a per capita basis.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't know where you got your little tidbit of information, but that's not at all what I read in the several things I looked up. Besides, they have less than 5 million people. That barely equates to 4 million visitors and they are so spread out, its a moot point. Based on your numbers, the US gets almost 83 million people. And that's not counting all the illegals. Odds are still against the US, regardless of the spin you try to put on it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to live in a place like new zealand. I think it's a really nice place, but to compare these kinda facts is kinda dumb.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Don't know where you got your little tidbit of information, but that's not at all what I read in the several things I looked up. Besides, they have less than 5 million people. That barely equates to 4 million visitors and they are so spread out, its a moot point. Based on your numbers, the US gets almost 83 million people. And that's not counting all the illegals. Odds are still against the US, regardless of the spin you try to put on it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to live in a place like new zealand. I think it's a really nice place, but to compare these kinda facts is kinda dumb.

NZ - 4.2 million visitors / 268,000 sq. km = 15.6 visitors / sq.km
USA - 77 million visitors / 9,834,000 sq. km = 7.8 visitors / sq.km

This very lazy math, but the "spread out" argument isn't holding much water. Honestly not trying to spin anything, just comparing raw numbers I'm finding on Google at 1am.