• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Think of it this way....

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
NZ - 4.2 million visitors / 268,000 sq. km = 15.6 visitors / sq.km
USA - 77 million visitors / 9,834,000 sq. km = 7.8 visitors / sq.km

This very lazy math, but the "spread out" argument isn't holding much water. Honestly not trying to spin anything, just comparing raw numbers I'm finding on Google at 1am.
Math at 1 am on a sign forum? Things are far worse than I thought.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:doh: That's some really weird-a$$ thinking. The whole country is about the same size as our Colorado. Our cities are far more congested and larger than any of those of new zealand. Cripes we have almost double the population in New Your city alone, as those two islands. How can you compare ?? C'mon, go to bed and talk to us after you've had some sleep.............:sleepin:

Reveal1

NZ - 4.2 million visitors / 268,000 sq. km = 15.6 visitors / sq.km
USA - 77 million visitors / 9,834,000 sq. km = 7.8 visitors / sq.km

This very lazy math, but the "spread out" argument isn't holding much water. Honestly not trying to spin anything, just comparing raw numbers I'm finding on Google at 1am.

That's the trouble with midnight jaunts on Google. NYC alone has almost 9 million population. Almost double the population of New Zealand in a relative tiny space. Add all the other international destinations within US and our policy of travel freedom within and between countries and there's no comparison.

Reveal1

:doh: That's some really weird-a$$ thinking. The whole country is about the same size as our Colorado. Our cities are far more congested and larger than any of those of new zealand. Cripes we have almost double the population in New Your city alone, as those two islands. How can you compare ?? C'mon, go to bed and talk to us after you've had some sleep.............:sleepin:
Thanks Gino - guess we were typing at same time and you were faster with the same point.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, I'm just wasting time while some prints are running through, so I'm quick on the trigger this morning.............

Christian @ 2CT Media

That's the trouble with midnight jaunts on Google. NYC alone has almost 9 million population. Almost double the population of New Zealand in a relative tiny space. Add all the other international destinations within US and our policy of travel freedom within and between countries and there's no comparison.
And close to 200,000 visitors a day in 11 square miles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_New_York_City

Reveal1

So take THAT Aussies and New Zealanders. We have enough America haters within the US so an old-timer like me may come across as overly sensitive when our traditional allies start piling on. WW3 maybe fought down your way, so my grandkids may be seeing you soon.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So take THAT Aussies and New Zealanders. We have enough America haters within the US so an old-timer like me may come across as overly sensitive when our traditional allies start piling on. WW3 maybe fought down your way, so my grandkids may be seeing you soon.

Well, I can't say I hate any of them, but some of the thinking is the same as our liberal friends here in this country are doling out. Non facts. Fake news. It gets tiresome to hear facts not pertaining to the problems at hand or even statistically correct.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Who is traveling anywhere nowa days?? Your argument doesn't hold water. Flights dropped 90% so there goes your travelers. Its a dumb thing to compare.

Reveal1

Who is traveling anywhere nowa days?? Your argument doesn't hold water. Flights dropped 90% so there goes your travelers. Its a dumb thing to compare.
Not really - it basically got down to the first couple of months and how many were infected at that time. Lock down and it slowed things, but we had more infections to begin with.

Lotta

Easy to say for someone living on an island of 268,000 sq. Kms with just 5mil people and geographically distant from the world's trade centers. The US is the economic engine with unparalled freedom of movement. We take in more legal immigrants than anyone in the world. As a result of being the crossroads of movement of people, unfortunately we expose ourselves to ideas, cultures, commerce and yes disease from far flung places. Those freedoms do often come with a price. I'll take that risk gladly over regimes such as China, who will likely be controlling your daily life in the not so distant future, maybe (but where did that virus originate again?) with more safety, but certainly with fewer of the freedoms that you apparently don't value that much anyway. .

Well, not only in NZ people look with worry over to your country. Also in the EU we act differently because of the Virus, and we are not an Island or live in a controlled country like China. We obey the NECESSARY rules in keeping healthy and nothing more. (wearing mask, disinfect the hands, don't meet to many people at once inside and so on). The big difference over here was, that our Government did see the risk and danger in the disease quite early, Italy was almost in the front yard to see how we did not want to have it. Therefore, we had a short, but necessary shutdown in March and since then almost no problems here in Germany. You all should have had shut down when NY got the Problem, but sadly there was this blond guy "leading" your country who did spread the word that is not worse than a flue. He was a great example to the Americans in how not to manage right in bad days. What was it, disinfectant “injection”??? Is he still meeting up with his millions of great Americans in huge rooms not wearing mask? I am sorry, but I feel furious and sad when I see how he plays with the lives of the people he is supposed to lead the right way. And even more bothers me, that he still has 43% people following him. What was that big test of his? People Woman man camera TV? Damn, if he would not be in such position to be dangerous to the world I would lough heartily.

I love America, I lived there some years. Lived in NY went down to the country for vacation. I loved the freedom, the people the way of living, don't throw this away ignoring the danger of the virus and the following economy problems. I think one quick shutdown would have made it instead talking it into harmlessness. And now not to make it worse, keep wearing masks, don't spread the virus and mostly important don't spread these wannabe nurses, doctors with their conspiracy stories. The Virus is not only in America, every country suffers from it healthily and economically, every country has his peace of conspiracy people. But in every country allover the world the majority acts responsible. Just do it the same.

BUCKY

Fact: If you get in the waiting line in our city for a Covid test, fill out the paperwork, then leave because you are tired of waiting 2 hours or whatever...
you get a call or a letter in the mail letting you know you tested positive for Covid.
How many people do you think have done this and how does it effect the real number of cases? smh

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think herd immunity has a larger role to play than most people think. The places that got hit early like Spain Italy New York City don't have a problem now. Places like Dallas Los Angeles Brazil were not having any issues in the early part of the pandemic. Now it's our turn. In fact much of the United States was fine in March and April while we watched New York City suffer. Since we have such a large country each city and state is on its own track. You can't compare 5 million people in a small island country to the United States. Most of our large cities have more population than your entire country. Think of the United States as 20 New Zealand's, each are on their own track in the pandemic.

The rates in Dallas are going down as we seem to have had our peak and are on the back side of this surge.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We will never have herd immunity. Our best case is that this either morphs into a less serious virus or it burns intself out
To get herd immunity, youd need something like 90% of the population to get it. Since the antibodies only last a few weeks, you would also need 90% of the entire world to get it all within that 3 week period.
Thats the problem with a vaccine as well. The other issue with a vaccine is getting the anti-vaxxers to do it and also the rest of the world or it will not work. Since we cant even get people to agree to wear a mask, Im not all that optimistic of anything besides it burning itself out

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Fact: If you get in the waiting line in our city for a Covid test, fill out the paperwork, then leave because you are tired of waiting 2 hours or whatever...
you get a call or a letter in the mail letting you know you tested positive for Covid.
How many people do you think have done this and how does it effect the real number of cases? smh
not fact. Why even spread bullshit? You dont even fill out the paperwork until youre at the front right before youre tested. So how would the lab even receive your information? Your info also goes with the sample, they have procedures in place. What good does it serve anyone to make stuff up?

Christian @ 2CT Media

While the numbers might be correct, they are not 200,000 people a day from outta this country. The vast majority of them are from around this country.
Yes, but even at that our regional areas are more vast than NZ. The point was that 11 square miles is a hub and it has more visitors than NZ has in residents and visitors.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your facts are kinda correct, but have nothing to do with the thread. If no one came in, regardless of by plane, train or boat..... odds are they haven't been tested. Our own population is either positive or negative and will test that way anywhere within the country. It's outsiders, which we fall short on for testing properly. Like mentioned, travel (especially international) is way down and hurting, but we're still infecting ourselves and re-infecting ourselves. We don't need more numbers to confuse the scenario.