• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wait a minute thats my sign....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
so what do you do when you stumble on a local sign shop that is using one of your signs in their examples section not only on site but on the web?
:banghead:

My comments were based upon the opening post. I was under the impression from what was written that it was still adk's sign, not a reproduction.

Given wrong information can change many decisions on how to handle this. Seems the guy knew this was going to happen, but still, it's better that he removes it from his site so as to not create anymore problems.

jiarby

well, it turns out your sign was a pile of crap and didn't even last a decade and a half!

I guess if he made it he could claim it in his portfolio. I would.

I would post it as a "makeover" with the old beat up one next to the pristine new one.

The real question...

Whay didn't they call YOU to remake the old one! Bad CRM!

CheapVehicleWrap

Gawd, I hate giving good advice that's never used... But at this stage of my life I would buy him a cocktail. Actually 2. Of the Molotov variety. Ohh, wait.. that was my past life wasn't it. I'm SO confused. I'm SO glad BI='Before internet' which I am so I'll no longer take it personal.

Locals Find!

So, after reading all the posts on here. I have come to the conclusion that you were trying to claim this guy was stealing your work which wasn't even your work. He made the sign and put it in his portfolio. Your on here trying to bad mouth him when your sign was already torn down because, it fell apart.

So, you had nothing better to do with your day then try and bad mouth a guy for being better at this business then you.

Do I have this right so far?

Craig Sjoquist

I wonder if they say ... look at my beautiful open for lunch sign I did ... or look how well my open for lunch sign goes with this outstanding advertisement above ??? lol egad

I would be nice and ask them not claim they did the above sign and to instead give you the respect and write in who did... well know that idea is not gonna happen.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
On a side note...

What's worse? Three shrimp hidden in the car door panel or a Mackerel dropped down the heating duct?

So, after reading all the posts on here. I have come to the conclusion that you were trying to claim this guy was stealing your work which wasn't even your work. He made the sign and put it in his portfolio. Your on here trying to bad mouth him when your sign was already torn down because, it fell apart.

So, you had nothing better to do with your day then try and bad mouth a guy for being better at this business then you.

It is an MDO sign. They don't last forever, especially with the cheap grade of MDO you often get these days. If it made it anywhere close to the 12 years, the client got well more than his money's worth.

signmeup

So if you design something and another sign shop produces an exact copy of it and posts it on their site with no credit to you.... you're happy?
I sure as hell wouldn't post a redo of some other shops 12 year old work in my portfolio.

I also don't think it's unreasonable to have to refinish/replace a 1/2" MDO sign that's been in service for 12 years.

weaselboogie

Said the sign broker. Is there ANYTHING on your site that you actually manufactured yourself with your own two hands?

Locals Find!

Said the sign broker. Is there ANYTHING on your site that you actually manufactured yourself with your own two hands?

Actually all the images on my site are work I have done. You will notice the images on my site are mostly printing. I don't claim to be the paper manufacturer but, I do claim the artwork.

The sign shop in question here. Created the sign not the artwork. He laid claim to the work he did.

Regardless, of whether the art was his or not isn't in question. The OP screwed up by not keeping the client and letting someone else come in and take the client. So he built it, its his sign not Hers. She can only lay claim to the artwork. Bashing him saying he stole her work which, was a lie. Is just low, he has every right to showcase his work.

W

wetgravy

On a side note...

What's worse? Three shrimp hidden in the car door panel or a Mackerel dropped down the heating duct?

neither ... squid in the hubcaps ... stinks until it dries out ... gets wet again and stinks once more and cycle repeats.

signmeup

So he built it, its his sign not Hers. She can only lay claim to the artwork. Bashing him saying he stole her work which, was a lie.
So who's design work did he use? Rather than come up with a new design He used someone elses and took credit for it on his website. We also only have his word that the sign is new. It could be the original for all we know.

shakey0818

An eye for a eye.Pay a hacker to hack his site and have his page and customers link re-directed to you.Then call him and ask him if he likes it.

chopper

Regardless, of whether the art was his or not isn't in question. The OP screwed up by not keeping the client and letting someone else come in and take the client. So he built it, its his sign not Hers. She can only lay claim to the artwork. Bashing him saying he stole her work which, was a lie. Is just low, he has every right to showcase his work.
well last time I checked stealing art work was still stealing, unless the art was sold to the customer to use as they choose...
if not the original artist still retains the right to said art work, and is considered to be copyrighted upon its creation,
I believe the ones who are being passive have never been in this situation, if they have they would not feel the same,(unless this is your mode of operation also) I would not condone violence but would let them know how I feel about it, I would also do a drive by and check out the sign and see if they actually re-made it or not.
//chopper

andy

Hello Tim,
We did not make the original sign.
I did make a replacement sign as if it was the original but I can't seem to find a side by side photo of the original & my replacement. The original sign was quite
weather damaged, but this isn't really relevant because it was over 10 year old, I'm not sure why I am mentioning it. So yes I built the sign you see there, I remade an exact
replica based upon the original I did design. I can't actually show you any photos which prove that two identical signs ever existed so you'll have to take it on trust. I will be sure to change it on my website so people realize it's a replica of the original although I can't remember the reason why I didn't do this in the first place. I do not wish to claim someone else's design as mine anymore because clearly people know there was a pre existing sign in place and I'm starting to worry that people will know that I've been passing off other peoples work as my own.

iSign

The OP screwed up by not keeping the client and letting someone else come in and take the client. So he built it, its his sign not Hers. She can only lay claim to the artwork. Bashing him saying he stole her work which, was a lie. Is just low, he has every right to showcase his work.

what a cocky SOB you've turned out to be... oh yeah.. your were already one the first day you showed up around here.. when you leaving anyway?

...ever notice how many people are sick of your self righteous BS all the damn time? You never know WTF you're talking about and just spew & spew & spew until nobody wants you around... is that how you got here? ..this was just the next bridge in your one way trip burning your way down into infamy?

you don't know $#!t about the OP, or what happened between her and her client... why make up your ownfantasyshit, bashing in the process of bitching about a bashing...

Locals Find!

what a cocky SOB you've turned out to be... oh yeah.. your were already one the first day you showed up around here.. when you leaving anyway?

...ever notice how many people are sick of your self righteous BS all the damn time? You never know WTF you're talking about and just spew & spew & spew until nobody wants you around... is that how you got here? ..this was just the next bridge in your one way trip burning your way down into infamy?

you don't know dick about the OP, or what happened between him and his client... why make up your ownfantasyshit, bashing in the process of bitching about a bashing...

No, Cockier than you my friend.

This guy who made that sign has proven via Tim that he is a stand up guy and isn't laying claim to anyone elses artwork. She threw his name out their trying to slander him. I am sorry if you feel thats right. I don't think its right to try and slander someone and make them out to be a thief for doing their job. Knowing full well that after that many years no way is that still the same sign. (Others before me have already proven that point) It took another Member to contact him to prove all of this was just the OP trying to lay claim to his work.

If the artwork in question wasn't sold to the client then yes the OP may have a case. However, odds are pretty well against it that any court anywhere would tell this guy to take it down off his website. Especially, since he has already said he was going to correct the site to show that he didn't do the original artwork.

Odds are like most clients I have seen, they probably wanted the sign replaced and said something to the effect of can you remake what we have we like it and really don't want it to change. So that is what the shop being slandered did. After 12 years, do you really think someone should go looking for the original artist for permission beyond a cursory Q&A with the client about who did the original art for this sign?? I know I wouldn't have. I would have done exactly what the client wanted got paid and moved on. Much like it appears this guy did. What I am sure most of you would have done, but won't admit it.

So call me "Self Righteous" because, I am honest enough to admit what I do and would have done in the same situation.