• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What should I do?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This is his house. The yellow camera was pointed towards my tree where the girls swing yesterday... maybe the black cat knocked it and he fixed it?
Untitled.jpg

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
Oh yeah...... what do they call canadian geese up in canada ?? Do they fly ?? Probably can't cross the border without a covid pass.
I wish. There are so many here the city is killing them and giving the meat to the needy.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
There's really not much you can (legally) do. This would fall into the category of "you can't trespass the eyes" and there being "no expectation of privacy in public". He could install a dozen cameras and aim them straight at your house and he would be within his rights.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There's really not much you can (legally) do. This would fall into the category of "you can't trespass the eyes" and there being "no expectation of privacy in public". He could install a dozen cameras and aim them straight at your house and he would be within his rights.

At least in Colorado it's illegal to video someone inside their home without consent. You can capture their front and back yards but any camera pointing directly into a window or similar is illegal.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
At least in Colorado it's illegal to video someone inside their home without consent. You can capture their front and back yards but any camera pointing directly into a window or similar is illegal.
Yeah, my post was kind of broad. There are definite areas that are viewed as "having an expectation of privacy" and I'm honestly not sure how that would play out legally. ie: having a camera pointed across the street toward someone's bathroom window vs toward your next neighbors bathroom window that's 20' away.

Where's the line? When can legal action be taken?

I'm not sure on that, but in Tex's situation, his neighbor can point cameras toward his front yard....trees, kids and all.

netsol

Tex, is there more to the story, I doubt there are many people who don't have cameras on the outside of the house. I find the ones with cameras on inside of the house are the ones that worry me (we have had a few)

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yeah, my post was kind of broad. There are definite areas that are viewed as "having an expectation of privacy" and I'm honestly not sure how that would play out legally. ie: having a camera pointed across the street toward someone's bathroom window vs toward your next neighbors bathroom window that's 20' away.

Where's the line? When can legal action be taken?

I'm not sure on that, but in Tex's situation, his neighbor can point cameras toward his front yard....trees, kids and all.

I agree, there is nothing illegal here... and you're right, he can point 100 of them towards my house. But I think going over there telling him that I don't like a camera pointing directly towards the only tree in my yard, and where pre-pubescent girls swing will let him know that I'm on to him. Like I said, hopefully my new house will be finished next month so this isn't a long term problem. Our neighborhood Facebook group is pretty active and people watch out for each other... lot of information is shared. I'm thinking of posting something of what I'm noticing... laying suspicion that a guy is doing something weird towards little girls is a heavy cloud I'm not afraid to cast.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Tex, is there more to the story, I doubt there are many people who don't have cameras on the outside of the house. I find the ones with cameras on inside of the house are the ones that worry me (we have had a few)
Come on Netsol... you're smarter than this.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Find his bedroom window, fire up your lift and at random times, day and night, swoop by the window as close as you can get. Make sure you are wearing those denim shorty shorts posted in the other thread.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Find his bedroom window, fire up your lift and at random times, day and night, swoop by the window as close as you can get. Make sure you are wearing those denim shorty shorts posted in the other thread.
I would suggest the kilt, but I like your thinking...

Johnny Best

They make movies about things like this, the guy is watching my daughter on the swing, he is making meth. Does he have a basement? Tex, you sound paranoid. Just man up and go knock on his door and see what the deal is. If it was me and a camera was pointed at my daughter, would take his camera and smash it. And when he comes out tell him why you did it. I realize your 120 lbs soaking wet and do not eat meat but your complaining and taking pictures of his house and adding arrows is getting weird.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
They make movies about things like this, the guy is watching my daughter on the swing, he is making meth. Does he have a basement? Tex, you sound paranoid. Just man up and go knock on his door and see what the deal is. If it was me and a camera was pointed at my daughter, would take his camera and smash it. And when he comes out tell him why you did it. I realize your 120 lbs soaking wet and do not eat meat but your complaining and taking pictures of his house and adding arrows is getting weird.
TEX2.jpg

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I agree, there is nothing illegal here... and you're right, he can point 100 of them towards my house. But I think going over there telling him that I don't like a camera pointing directly towards the only tree in my yard, and where pre-pubescent girls swing will let him know that I'm on to him. Like I said, hopefully my new house will be finished next month so this isn't a long term problem. Our neighborhood Facebook group is pretty active and people watch out for each other... lot of information is shared. I'm thinking of posting something of what I'm noticing... laying suspicion that a guy is doing something weird towards little girls is a heavy cloud I'm not afraid to cast.

If I was a dad with kids, I would have the same concerns. Playing devils advocate here, though, the camera placement could be completely innocent on his part. The way his cameras are arranged gives him complete coverage of the front/front corners of his property and the street. If a burglar were to cut through your yard to try to access the windows on the front or side of his house, he would be recorded. The way things are in this world, it's easy to assume the worst about someone, but he may have cameras for the same reason.....he's trying to protect himself from the worst.

A number of years ago, our home was broken into and completely ransacked and quite a few things were stolen and damaged. Now, a cat doesn't come on to my property without me knowing, day or night. I have nearly a dozen exterior cameras but none of them come close to encroaching on anyone's "expectation of privacy". In fact, only one really shows any neighboring properties, but it doesn't show anything you wouldn't see walking down the sidewalk. If a person is captured on any of the other cameras, they are without question on, or about to enter my property and I can quickly see if it's a delivery person, a friend or otherwise.

It would be pretty crappy to insinuate to everyone on FB that he may be a pedophile or whatever when he could just be trying to protect himself (and his neighbors) in a world full of bad guys.

I know you're moving but set that aside. What if he is a good guy with good intentions and next week one of your kids were kidnapped from that front yard swing and that camera has the only good footage of the perp? I wouldn't want to be the one having to approach him saying "hey, I know I made you out to be a pedophile on FB, but could I get that footage from your camera?".

All of that being said, if you've met the dude and he seems like a sketchy pervert (and you weren't moving) plant a big crate myrtle between the camera and your tree...problem solved for you and whoever moves in after you're gone.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, it's strange to have all those cameras facing the front of his house. Our new house has one in the front and one in the rear. He has about 10 in total. Between him not speaking when outside and saying hi, and all these cameras, it's a red flag in this neighborhood. I used to live in sketchy places and a dozen cameras were common. Not here though. Sorry, I notice these things and question odd behavior... maybe it is all innocent, but these odd things are too hard for a parent to ignore.

I will say, being parents.. its weird but sometimes certain people will give you a creepy vibe. You see how they interact with children. There was someone at our church that gave off this vibe and we avoided him. It's the ones that are too friendly.

Johnny Best

Hey Tex, do what you do with your business. Outsource a big biker guy and make sure he has a chain to his wallet, tats and rides without a helmet. Pay him with cash and beer.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Having kids definitely gives you a different perspective, I 100% get that.

Getting broken into gives you a different perspective also.

He has each entry point covered, I don't personally see that as strange at all. Every entry point in my house is covered by at least one camera. Granted, my area has a higher crime rate than yours, but I would do the same regardless of where I lived, just because I've experienced people breaking into my home and will always be as prepared as possible going forward. Maybe he's experienced the same?

Anyway, at least you're moving and won't have to worry about it.

Johnny Best

I heard there are some MS13 people crossing the border, you could use them but they probably want your daughter for payment.
Zane Grey called them "greasers".