• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would YOU do with the money?

I don't know what I'd do with all the extra money, because it always finds a way to get spent, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the fact, that it's in my best interest to do so.

Let's take for example a big company with loads of designers. They could call in and turn on if they hired two new people or off if they fired one last month accordingly without having to be outright buying all these programs and sitting on them from time to time. Also, I imagine, as Jeremy here said, it would really thwart piracy, which is a big problem with many of these software programs, especially the good ones. However, while you hafta be online while using it, what happens if your connection goes down for whatever reason. Are you dead in the water ?? At someone else's mercy ?? Hmmmmm ?? What happens if you don't pay the subscription by mistake..... does your software go on the blink for a day or two, until you're set up again ??

Nope, I like having the real hard concrete stuff in my grimy little paws and having full control. Anything I can bring in-house and have complete control and quality control over is usually in my best interest.

The only good thing I can see is..... if the whole world did it, at least we'd all be on the same version and wouldn't have problems going back & forth with files and no outta date software which wouldn't be supported anymore. We'd all be on a level playing field, huh ??

A little like this, what happens question.

What happens if your mid print and your personal server has a problem connecting to the cloud. Do Prints stop? Steph?

CES020

A little like this, what happens question.

What happens if your mid print and your personal server has a problem connecting to the cloud. Do Prints stop? Steph?

Guys, you do NOT have to be hooked to the internet to use "the cloud". I have Adobe CC which is "Cloud based", and I can take my laptop, not hooked to the internet anywhere I want and use it any time I want. The only thing is does is have a cloud based dongle, so to speak, which checks once a month or so to make sure I'm still legit. There is not mysterious "cloud" that has to be running or that you have to be hooked to 24/7.

WildWestDesigns

Guys, you do NOT have to be hooked to the internet to use "the cloud". I have Adobe CC which is "Cloud based", and I can take my laptop, not hooked to the internet anywhere I want and use it any time I want. The only thing is does is have a cloud based dongle, so to speak, which checks once a month or so to make sure I'm still legit. There is not mysterious "cloud" that has to be running or that you have to be hooked to 24/7.

I think the misconception of this is that they (Adobe, Flexi etc) used the term cloud, even though the thrust of what this is is subscription.

I know Creative Cloud sounds a lot better then Creative Subscription, but I think that's where the issues are, because programs that are truly cloud based (use a web browser for an interface), you do have to have a live connection.

Suz

Without an active subscription you wouldn't be able to access the files again (unless of course you got a traditional license version, which are still available for Flexi). You could export files to a generic format - eps, pdf, dxf - before switching though.

Dear Steph,

Please understand, this is not against you, but I do have questions about your "Flexi" software.
First off - Thank goodness I bought Shiraz instead of Flexi when I got my Latex Printer. I really considered Flexi, but too many Cons to outweigh the Pros. I always make a list!

My question is:
So if we buy Flexi (first time)... and go with the monthly subscription,
Would you recommend also buying it outright so you could later open your files if you ever cancelled your monthly subscription?
If YES is the answer and it's pretty obvious it is, then we would be getting screwed double!

If the above is the way to go, I gotta agree with one of the previous posts about something that gets rammed up another end to cap your teeth. Or whatever! That was funny. I'd like to see that cartoon more. Your Flexi cartoon is sad. I'm sorry, it's not even very well drawn in my opinion, kinda stiff, not "Flexi-ble" at all. Maybe a reflection of the New and Improved Flexi Company? But hey, Art is objective. So there you go! My dumb critique. I'm with Bob, the dumb one. Sorry, I don't have an old TV though! Oh, but I do have a house, it's old, but paid it off 10 years ago. I know, that's dumb too.

reQ

Looks like "the campaign" backfired lol. Good point btw... its like paying rent all your life, but you don't own anything lol.

qmr55

Why are you guys crying like a bunch of babies? You do realize that you can buy it outright, correct?

Why would they NOT go to a business model that could lead to more profit? Especially considering one of their biggest competitors did it, Adobe.

Want a subscription? Get one. Want to buy outright? Buy outright.

Done.

reQ

Why are you guys crying like a bunch of babies? You do realize that you can buy it outright, correct?

Why would they NOT go to a business model that could lead to more profit? Especially considering one of their biggest competitors did it, Adobe.

Done.

I don't think thats the point. Its just the way they presented it. In simple words - If you bought your software out, you are stupid. If you want to be smart - pay every month forever.

qmr55

I don't think thats the point. Its just the way they presented it. In simple words - If you bought your software out, you are stupid. If you want to be smart - pay every month forever.

Please show me where they said that if you outright buy the software, you are stupid? There's a difference between stupid and broke.

Suz

Done.

If these software companies think they can all do this and get away with it, they'll do it. Then eventually we'll all be paying 50 here 50 there, everywhere a 50 50. Get it? Pretty soon, you are out of business if you are a small business. Most of us here are.
They (software companies) should know the majority of us here at least, think it's not a good idea. Offering both options, that is good. But to only offer the "cloud" or subscription version of their software, that would be wrong. I am considering a potential lawsuit against Adobe for screwing with my CS2 software. It now won't work like it used to, and I paid (over the years) thousands for it. I will avoid new versions or upgrades of it. I will choose CorelDraw products, as long as they offer for me to buy them once and upgrade when I wish. If Corel can't do that, then I'll find something else if I need it.

jtinker

Owner
:popcorn:
I just spent an hour not working because of this thread. Flexi is already costing me money. Thanks SAi.
I actually don't think its that bad of an idea, lest i be ganged up upon the perpetual payment masses lol. Forking over $50/month for a year or two for the software you want/need while you get yourself established is favorable to paying the hefty four digit price tag for it.

CES020

If these software companies think they can all do this and get away with it, they'll do it. Then eventually we'll all be paying 50 here 50 there, everywhere a 50 50. Get it? Pretty soon, you are out of business if you are a small business. Most of us here are.
They (software companies) should know the majority of us here at least, think it's not a good idea. Offering both options, that is good. But to only offer the "cloud" or subscription version of their software, that would be wrong. I am considering a potential lawsuit against Adobe for screwing with my CS2 software. It now won't work like it used to, and I paid (over the years) thousands for it. I will avoid new versions or upgrades of it. I will choose CorelDraw products, as long as they offer for me to buy them once and upgrade when I wish. If Corel can't do that, then I'll find something else if I need it.

Suz, with all due respect, you can't expect to buy software in 2005 and expect it to run in 2015. Computers and software don't work like that. Hardware changes and you end up with legacy products, which companies stop supporting. You can't use Power PC based software on Apple's on the latest version of Yosemite. Software goes obsolete, that's just the way it works. That's not to say there aren't exceptions, but overall, that's the rule.

Steph_Stamm

No, the prints do not stop. Here's how it works:

If everything is running smoothly, Flexi and the subscription payment center communicate once every 30-31 days (depending on the month). If internet connection is cut at any point during that 30-31 days, nothing happens, meaning your Flexi will still run completely normally. If on day 32 Flexi still hasn't heard back from the payment center that the license can be renewed (because of a lack of internet connection or whatever), a grace period kicks in. Worst case scenario, if there is a natural disaster and your internet goes out the day your Flexi subscription is supposed to renew, you still have several days to connect online again before Flexi stops running.

Ultimately the cartoon is meant to show that there is a choice - traditional software or subscription - and our intent was to poke good-natured fun at our own traditional software. I won't deny that subscriptions is a good business model (why else would Adobe and many others do this exclusively), but SAi also created subscriptions in response to customer requests for an affordable option. For businesses that prefer to pay a capital expense, we still offer the traditional upgrade or full purchase. You have the choice to do either.

Suz, with all due respect, you can't expect to buy software in 2005 and expect it to run in 2015. Computers and software don't work like that. Hardware changes and you end up with legacy products, which companies stop supporting. You can't use Power PC based software on Apple's on the latest version of Yosemite. Software goes obsolete, that's just the way it works. That's not to say there aren't exceptions, but overall, that's the rule.

If you buy a software in 2005 for $3500 you will pay it off based on $50 subscription price in 5.8 years. I should be able to expect my software to last this long. Every year after that I am saving $600 on not having to pay subscription. If I make it nine years I have almost $2400 to spend on an upgrade which should be cheaper then $2400. My 2cents. If I make it last longer then I just keep saving. With subscription I am stuck paying every month no matter what.

CanuckSigns

I disagree, for production software, we have many copies dating back almost 20 years that run our gerber edge and engraver, they all work perfectly fine and do a great job, sure there are newer versions that have a few extra features, but what we have gets the job done.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The way I see it is... it's a funny cartoon and that's all it is. It sends a message and whether you like it or not, it's still just a funny little cartoon, with a sales pitch. Ya either like it or you don't, but attacking the OP seems a little unnecessary.

As for things lasting for long periods of time or not, I hafta go back to what I know and was told.

When starting out and everything being done by hand, most signs lasted 15 to 25 years on varying substrates and depending on how well the mechanic made it and to a small degree what supplies he/she used.
Get into the 80's and while signs became easier to make, they had a built-in obsolescence of somewhere around 5 to 7 years. That was difficult to tell customers and still try to get the same prices although the equipment cost you a fortune back then. Some of our first computers we bought ran on DOS commands and were not the easiest thing to work around, but we managed. I still remember the magazine ad saying ANAgraph just increased their speed to a whooping 12 MHz processor. Yippee. The harddrive went from 20 megs to a walloping 40 megs. Back then, they said for the prices we were paying for this stuff, it would last forever. Moving further along, these companies obviously figured out they needed to re-invent how to sell this stuff to us, and keep a solid income coming in. Presto, let's sell them better stuff and a little bit at a time. So the computer world built-in obsolescence was born.

Ever wonder why one year an upgrade stank to high heck and the bugs were figured out on the next upgrade ?? As the prices kept dropping, which essentially they did from old turn key operations to component type set ups where you could configure your own arsenal, til now they're down to $60 a month if you use this new set up. In my opinion it's incredible, but I still don't trust it and want the stuff in my possession 100%. They say because you can't see God, there ain't one, so maybe that could happen to something like this, huh ??

I'm a hands-on guy and it permeates through out my entire being, so for now, I'm not interested. Down the road, once they have you 100% relying on this method.... which WILL happen, I'll be forced to change, if I'm still alive, but until then, I like my method better.

Good luck
:thumb:

qmr55

You are in business, if you can't afford the tools you need to run said business, maybe you shouldn't be in business. That being said, Flexi STILL offers outright buying. And I highly doubt the "majority" dislike the idea. Maybe a few people on a forum on the internet. But I would venture to say that makes up for less than 10% flexi users and less than 1% adobe users.

Keep your old software and stay out of date, the others will keep improving! :thumb:

Cs2- lol.

HulkSmash

We use subscriptions on most of our software. For us it's just way easier for the amount of seats we use, and always wanting to stay upgraded...
We can't stay at Adobe CS 2, when firms send us cs 6 or CC versions.

as for spending the extra money.. Definitely not to a flexi product.

reQ

Keep your old software and stay out of date, the others will keep improving! :thumb:

Sounds like you are that kind of person who buys new model of iphone every year, if you know what i mean :)

Rest of us small business owners will be poor and keep using outdated tools and keep buying things out so we won't have another bill every month ;)

CES020

I disagree, for production software, we have many copies dating back almost 20 years that run our gerber edge and engraver, they all work perfectly fine and do a great job, sure there are newer versions that have a few extra features, but what we have gets the job done.

Then maybe you can explain to me why we have a rotary engraving machine that died last week with no way to fix it, unless we spend $6,000 to upgrade it. The system uses a ISA card and ISA hasn't been in computers for 15 years. Sure, there are specialty places that make motherboards with them in them, but the software won't run on Windows XP,7, or 8.

So essentially, we're dead in the water on that machine because the software is from 1998.

I did say there are exceptions, but overall, you can't run 95% of the software made 15 years ago on a system today. That's why "Compatibility Mode" entered into some of the OS's, and even now, they are abandoning them.

Try running old versions of Corel on Windows 8.

It's just the way it works.

CanuckSigns

You are in business, if you can't afford the tools you need to run said business, maybe you shouldn't be in business. That being said, Flexi STILL offers outright buying. And I highly doubt the "majority" dislike the idea. Maybe a few people on a forum on the internet. But I would venture to say that makes up for less than 10% flexi users and less than 1% adobe users.

Cs2- lol.

The issue I have is not about being able to afford the subscription, it's about paying thousands and thousands of dollars over the years for software that you don't own, as soon as soon as you decide to stop paying, the software stops working, holding your proprietary files hostage with it, even after paying multiple times the purchase value of the software over the years.