• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would YOU do with the money?

OADesign

What were dealing with right now is that our clients have upgraded and send us Adobe CC files.
CC files don't always open properly in previous versions, even CS6.
It's a little annoying to have to call your clients and say, "could you save that down to CS6" (Basically, I don't want to upgrade even though it's my industry).
Apart from this I agree with the hard copies.

This brings up another tangent. I totally agree with the the idea of pay once and owning the product. But as far as CC files not opening properly in earlier versions, I have to ask why you are having issues. The only reason why a CC file would not open properly in CSX is if there is some crazy plugin or fancy gradient transparent glittery effect that must remain editable on your end. Out side of fonts what else would you need? Your client should bbe sending you files with all the fancy schmancy stuff flattened any right? Flat tifs/pdfs/jpgs/eps? So no problem.

WildWestDesigns

Your client should bbe sending you files with all the fancy schmancy stuff flattened any right? Flat tifs/pdfs/jpgs/eps? So no problem.

Should be and what they actually send are widely different. EPS files can still be a trouble for you as well, I've had a few that were and this is something that can happen regardless of whatever version the outside source is using for software.

And I have a feeling that issues like that (not converting fonts to outlines is just one example) is going to be on the rise. That's the number 1 issue that I get with EPS files, regardless if they are legacy or current EPS versions.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
This brings up another tangent. I totally agree with the the idea of pay once and owning the product. But as far as CC files not opening properly in earlier versions, I have to ask why you are having issues. The only reason why a CC file would not open properly in CSX is if there is some crazy plugin or fancy gradient transparent glittery effect that must remain editable on your end. Out side of fonts what else would you need? Your client should bbe sending you files with all the fancy schmancy stuff flattened any right? Flat tifs/pdfs/jpgs/eps? So no problem.

Between things outside the artboard area not importing in (standard with illustrator file imports if it's not a legacy file import into a newer version of illustrator) Layers, and opacity effects go special ed. .. warps, filters and strokes go wonky and in the end you get the work ... but it's not what it should be. There is no real forward compatability, only an import that is readable in legacy versions. Like I stated in an earlier post ... like shoving a metal rod in your rear end to cap your teeth.

I do freelancing and inhouse design for shops ... CC files are always an issue and I'm constantly having to save down just to transfer the files to my system to keep working on them. saving down to cs6 seems to help ... a little ... but when I'm working on stuff that has lots of work outside the art board for staging purposes ... it's still gone.

Suz

Fred, yes it would be! Perhaps a future business for you? I like it.
As long as I could do either. Rent it or buy it at any point, I'd be super happy.
Great idea.

Suz

For Qmr55

Qmr55,

LYAO, or have a coronary, see attached photo. We still use this too (even though occasionally) , and it functions flawlessly! Have earlier versions too (not loaded) when it was the Altys Co. owned it. They're just tools to me, but I bought them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You are in business, if you can't afford the tools you need to run said business, maybe you shouldn't be in business. That being said, Flexi STILL offers outright buying. And I highly doubt the "majority" dislike the idea. Maybe a few people on a forum on the internet. But I would venture to say that makes up for less than 10% flexi users and less than 1% adobe users.

Keep your old software and stay out of date, the others will keep improving! :thumb:

Cs2- lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3596.jpg
    IMG_3596.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 98
Flexi Subcription

So, I recently bought a graphics business, I have been doing a lot of research, and I am still stuck with the thought of Flexi, Whether do the subscription or not.

The previous owner had Flexi, am I stuck with using Flexi because all of his files are. So I thought I was stuck with Flexi, but IF NOT. WHAT ARE OTHER SOFTWARE OUT THERE THAT YOU RECOMMEND, AND WHY?

If I go Flexi, from what I am reading , it would be best if I bough out right. From talking to the sales rep, she sure makes the subscription sound better; free tech support, updates etc. If I buy it than I would have free tech support, UNTIL an upgrade came out. I asked when the upgrade will come out, and she did not know.

I am super new with these stuff, I know very very little! So all the help I can get, I greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
Jo-Jo

Split76

So, I recently bought a graphics business, I have been doing a lot of research, and I am still stuck with the thought of Flexi, Whether do the subscription or not.

The previous owner had Flexi, am I stuck with using Flexi because all of his files are. So I thought I was stuck with Flexi, but IF NOT. WHAT ARE OTHER SOFTWARE OUT THERE THAT YOU RECOMMEND, AND WHY?

If I go Flexi, from what I am reading , it would be best if I bough out right. From talking to the sales rep, she sure makes the subscription sound better; free tech support, updates etc. If I buy it than I would have free tech support, UNTIL an upgrade came out. I asked when the upgrade will come out, and she did not know.

I am super new with these stuff, I know very very little! So all the help I can get, I greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
Jo-Jo

I have used flexi for 13 years and have always bought it or updated it when i need to. In my opinion, theres no need to update it soon after buying it. Monthly fees really suck.

player

I used the money to buy Signlab Print Cut 9.1 on sale for $750. One time charge and I own it forever.

player

Regarding the Cloud based software lic,

How would I access and run the software in the cloud if Scanvec/Amiable/Flexi went bankrupt
and closed up?

Thinking Enron?... :popcorn:

I have 25+ years of digital files in Flexi format. Mostly FS files and many converted to FS files.
I prefer my installation disk.

Plus if you open an old file in the latest software version and save it, you can no longer open it in the old version it was created in...

Steph_Stamm

Hi SignosaurusRex - I think you'll find your answer in post 28, at least partly. It's possible that any company could go out of business - it's a risk we all take daily. But if you use Flexi, there are several ways to minimize that risk by saving files to a different format or buying the software outright. If SAi went out of business and nobody was able to renew their software subscription license, so the software eventually timed out (as explained in post 60, this wouldn't happen immediately), you wouldn't be able to open Flexi to access the files. Unless of course you got a traditional license product, which is still available.

jtinker

Owner
I actually liked the comic, it was well drawn and got the point across. Very talented staff. As for the message they have two versions of the software; cloudbased and not. Why complain about an option that you dont have to take. Now if it was mandatory thats a different story. Its not a dichotomy you can have both and believe in both. Just different versions for very different stages of your business. The cloud would be great for someone just starting out though i wouldnt recommend it for an established shop especially with all the concerns about data loss. And even with that the chances of them keeping your data more safe than you are really high if you think about it. One server goes down all info is stored in several places around the world ready to be accessed. Its all a matter of opinion i think. I like the peace of mind of not owing money every month so I personally wouldnt choose the cloud method but if it came down to a business decision on how to get up and running or stay running with minimal overhead its a great idea.

player

How much money does a reseller of the subscription make? Do they get monthly cheques for ever as well?

Gene@mpls

Thanks!
Jo-Jo

I have been using FlexiPro since V5- 18 years or more and it has made me a lot of money. I hire people and normally they have trained or
learned on Adobe Ill... I insist that they convert to Flexi ( as we have 18 years worth of flexi files and you do not want to support two different
file types) the invariable after becoming proficient at Flexi agree that for making signs Flexi rules. Corel/Adobe etc are good graphics programs-
Flexi is a sign making program and it is worth whatever you pay. I have both purchased seats and one subscription of Flexi 11 for the times
we need it. I don't see that you have a real choice- just whether you want to buy upfront or monthly. Gene