• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what would you pay for this line drawing

Border

$100 seems too cheap to me. Of course, it would take me a month to accomplish what you did (and yours would still be way better). But that doesn't mean your fees should drop just because you are faster and better either.
Your drawing is excellent, by the way! I'd say $150.00 would be more than fair for such good detail work on something that they obviously want/need to be rendered from their own photo and not a stock vector image.

GypsyGraphics

Really? Whether you are designing a logo from scratch or doing a technical illustration why should it be any different? An hourly rate is an hourly rate. Many technical illustrators charge $50-100 per hour, Talent is talent.

Of course there are guys in China that would do this for $10

Actually, that poses an interesting question and something i've notice here as a major difference in signmakers and designers, or maybe better to say... production or a product vs creative concepts and ideas.

I've NEVER charged by the hour for a corporate identity... it's a fixed price... and whether or not i nail it in the first round of comps or the third... the price is the same. There's no reduction in price for choosing the very first design!

Illustrating what already exists is NOT the same as conjuring up an images into existence.

There are things i charge hourly for.... but logo work... N-E-V-E-R gonna happen!

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a professional designer or agency charging hourly for a logo!

ooooo... i'm a little riled up
maybe a topic better suited for another thread.

Rodi

Whatever the market will pay. The issue as I see it is not your talent or the time, but how you market it. Fred said 10 bux a year and upwards of 150 bux for the item.

What is two hours of your time worth? Is it really your time? What I mean is, that just because you spend two hours on this project, it does not mean that it has value yielded to the client. As Whistler was sued for being too fast on a particular painting, in court he stated it was not the amount of time he spent on the painting that was reflected in the pricing, but rather the lifetime of work that went into making a great piece of art! That was in his great book "the gentle art of making enemies."

CheapVehicleWrap

Well, one things for sure. You don't have to worry about only getting $25 for it. 85-100 sounds reasonable, maybe a bit more. $125-150 is not absurd considering the detail/quality. Assuming these are not your retail prices. Fogetabout 2 hours, I sure wish I could draw it.

iSign

Really? Whether you are designing a logo from scratch or doing a technical illustration why should it be any different? An hourly rate is an hourly rate. Many technical illustrators charge $50-100 per hour, Talent is talent.

Of course there are guys in China that would do this for $10

still apples and oranges..

takes talent to cover a song, but writer gets royalties... write your own music... make more money...

sell a song to a wedding party to use once.. get paid for your hours... sell a song for a jingle in ad campaigns.. has value forever... commercial value... and if it really works as intended (increasing client's bottom line) and contracted appropriately... continued use brings more and more and more money

John Butto

sorry but that floats

GG quote: "Illustrating what already exists is NOT the same as conjuring up an images into existence".

When you make a logo you use type styles that most of the time are in existence. Since DaVinci painted the Mona Lisa in which she or he already exists it is not worth as much as a logo.

GypsyGraphics

i'd like to revise my "apples to oranges" comment and pose a question...

not apples to oranges... apples to some fruit i can't describe and why is that... because it doesn't exist yet.

with that... i'd like to get a price on an accurately detailed apple illustration?

oh, and a price on that OTHER fruit as well.
on that one, the details are very important... ya know, cuz it's new and all and i want to make a good impression at it's unavailing to the fruit-eating free world. unfortunately, i can't tell you if you were able to adequately capture it's appearance until you've done the work.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, let's compare apples to apples...................
apples.jpg

Uh-oh..... I think we still have a problem................

:Oops:

mark in tx

You might want to take a look at what a print platemaker would charge for something like that. Not the same output, but a similar process as making line art for printing.

GypsyGraphics

still apples and oranges..

takes talent to cover a song, but writer gets royalties... write your own music... make more money...

great analogy doug!

just want to say... i'm in NO WAY devaluing the skills of a talented illustrator. i'm a only fair at illustration... not nearly skilled enough to have done that fire truck in 2 hours... not even close. i'd have sent the job to a skilled illustrator and i'd have been very pleased to have it done for $100 and not surprised if i had to pay more.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I was just thinking that you meant it should not be priced at the same hourly rate as design. Heck some people do design work for $8 an hour

GypsyGraphics

Okay, let's compare apples to apples................... View attachment 61591 Uh-oh..... I think we still have a problem................:Oops:

oh i'm sorry gino... none of those apples look like the one i was thinking of... i'm sure the right one is out there somewhere.
i have all the confidence in the world in your abilities to find it. keep looking... i'll know it when i see it. (and the apple was the easy part)

I was just thinking that you meant it should not be priced at the same hourly rate as design. Heck some people do design work for $8 an hour
yep, and some people will sell you a sticker for $8.
never a good idea to factor low-ballers into legitimate pricing.

I would not want to do something like this for less than $100
you shouldn't... it's well worth at least that!
glad to know who to call when my skills don't meet the need or the time restriction.

SILVERBACK

I have worked my way around this similar situation. I charge an hourly rate for my time to do the artwork, then done the project. Then if the client wants the artwork file after they pay for the file as well. I charge $55 an hour.

RJ California

If you put this photo with the vector version next to it on your website you could certainly charge $100+ for similar work. That is a good example to show the detail and quality of your work.

Joe Diaz

Whether you charge by the hour or not, I have found that most customers can wrap their heads around that concept a little bit better then anything else. But that is not to say you should charge by the hour.

What we do is make a little booklet of designs that we have done in the past and divide them into different price ranges. So people can see what type of work they will get within that range. This works very well for us.

Illustrations like that, we hardly ever sell on their own. They are usually a part of a larger branding package. Ie: a logo, illustration(s) a few signs, and a brochure design. Rarely ever does someone stop into our shop and say "hey I just want this illustration". It's usually a part of a bigger project.