• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you REALLY do if you had symptoms of Coronavirus?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If you started showing symptoms that you thought might be coronavirus, what would YOU do? Would you go to a doctors office to get tested for it? And if you were tested and they said you have it, would you be ready for government officials telling you to stay indoors for 2 weeks?

I have no symptoms, but I was thinking about what if I start feeling a "cold" or "flu" come on? I don't think I'd want the attention.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are certain procedures you are supposed to follow, according to the news and the government. You're also supposed to get a flu shot and all kinds of other immunizations throughout the year. I don't do any of them. It would be hard for me to sit home and do nothing. Nothing about the attention, but I really don't come in contact with too many people. I've managed to thwart off most other illnesses, so I'm sure I could weather this one, too. I know i'm in the age bracket where they say I should be cautious, but it might be better just to check the heck out, anyway.

WildWestDesigns

Would you go to a doctors office to get tested for it?

They say not actually go the dr right away. Call and let them know what you suspect, that way they can mitigate spread to other patients when you go for testing.

And if you were tested and they said you have it, would you be ready for government officials telling you to stay indoors for 2 weeks?

Honestly, I have no problem putting myself in 2 wks isolation on my own. No one would have to tell me. But I'm more of a hermit as it is.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
They are saying that you should call the doctor/hospital rather than just show up at the ER and risk infecting others. I don't think testing is an option for most as they have a sever shortage in test kits. All you can do is go isolate yourself in the house and try to keep your fever under control. You will definitely get lots of attention with a cough now.

StarSign

I wonder how many people out there have had it before all of the hoopla, but because they are young and healthy it just ran its course.

Notarealsignguy

I wonder how many people out there have had it before all of the hoopla, but because they are young and healthy it just ran its course.
I think that is all wishful thinking. People are tested for the flu, nobody would be hospitalized much less die and have it be attributed to the flu. By the numbers, the hospitalizations and deaths wouldnt just start jumping up like they have if mild cases have been running around for months. You would have seen the same 2-5% death rate that looked like the flu but tested negative which would trigger alarms earlier in the process.

WildWestDesigns

If you didn't go to the Dr when you were sick, no one would know for sure.....

That was actually one of the things that some drs had cited as the numbers may be lower then actually think.

Some drs have said that those that have it could have had very minor symptoms and there there are those that had really severe symptoms as well. It's really hard to say, if it really seemed like "I" am dealing with the common cold and the symptoms are mild enough, a person may not get tested, even though they might have the virus. Unless conditions worsened, then they may go. There are some things that people play into fears as well and when something like happens during an election year, who knows how things are spun.

Notarealsignguy

You cant make assumptions about something that is new, it is hopeful but dangerous. There is nothing out there that says the symptoms can be mild except for people's speculations. The risk in saying this over and over is that people will not be diligent and brush this off. Really, minimizing this, even if it is true, is a bit selfish. The mild symptoms that you deal with can easily kill someone else, old, young, diabetics, someone that has had cancer etc etc. The healthy and young need to be even more vigilant in making sure they don't pass this on to people that can not fight it off.
I told my employees today that we will pay them more sick days and to just stay home if they are sick. They do come down with the brown bottle blues on a regular basis, I hope they know the difference.

WildWestDesigns

You cant make assumptions about something that is new, it is hopeful but dangerous. There is nothing out there that says the symptoms can be mild except for people's speculations.

What I was reading was coming from Drs, not the homeless man on the street. While it is never perfect and they do make mistakes (even despite their god complex that some have), I would like to think those on the front lines have a little bit more information to postulate theories (everything is a theory until proven) that would be slightly better then just rank assumption.

Now, could it be that they are trying to mitigate hysteria (which can actually be more harmful then the disease it self), quite possible.

The mild symptoms that you deal with can easily kill someone else, old, young, diabetics, someone that has had cancer etc etc.

Everyone is at risk for something. Life in general is more fragile then a lot of people like to think. And especially, if someone is above a certain age (on average, some are in better shape then others) or if they have some other condition.

The healthy and young need to be even more vigilant in making sure they don't pass this on to people that can not fight it off.

No where did anyone say be reckless with how it is handled. I wish that some people wouldn't be reckless with some of the stuff we deal with on a daily basis that doesn't have this level of hysteria with it.

Alcohol wipes are supposed to kill it on your hands so I'd start ingesting large quantities of 170 proof vodka to make it hard on those little invaders trying to establish a beachhead.

What are you going to do about the stuff that gets in your lungs? Snort the vodka?

MikePro

here, in the North, we would treat it... like the FLU!
rest up, heal up, and keep your germs behind your pile of snow.

I would also remind myself that death rates amongst SARS & MERS were 34% and 9%, respectively, .....COV19, is at 2%.

Last edited:

visual800

I dont worry about these epidemics that they come up with every damn year. I dont worry about the new strains of flu they come up with every year. I work and if I get sick I stay home. Im pretty much an introvert so staying at home no issue for me. I keep my cooties to myself.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I wouldn't want to help spread it but I have no idea how I could stay at home for two weeks. A few times I have stayed home for a whole day but never more then two.

C

ColoPrinthead

Alcohol wipes are supposed to kill it on your hands so I'd start ingesting large quantities of 170 proof vodka to make it hard on those little invaders trying to establish a beachhead.
You joke, but I ued to have a friend who drank at leat a liter of vodka a day and never got sick, the only time he was ever sick was when he was on a break from his drinking.