• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Booze in the shop?

C

ColoPrinthead

I've recently been given permission to enjoy beer on the job while I'm pulling 50-60 hour weeks and was curious how you all feel about booze in the shop. Whats your policy?

Mine is self imposed, no beer until after 6pm and ownership is gone for the day.

:beer

TheSnowman

I'd whoop you if I caught you drinking in my shop, but you aren't my employee. I'm pretty against all that stuff though. Met too many people that lost it all because of alcohol and I just don't want any part of it.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
good idea. (when the power is all turned off on the equipment. And no one is holding a xActo blade like a chinese star....)

petepaz

The owner has been know to pick up a 12 pack on a hot friday afternoon before we have left for a select few to enjoy a beer or two. Not like a friday drinking binge or anything like that. Also not on a regular basis

MikeD

doesn't sound like getting sloshed, but that could get outta hand really quick, and even just a few drinks can earn you a DUI.

C

ColoPrinthead

At my last job operating and Indgio, the owners would hand out beers every Friday. When the owners were gone their kids (late 30s) would start at noon. I just have a one or two over a few hours and it really makes all of the OT more tolerable.

When I was young and working in repro I learned the hard way its not fun to come back with a buzz from lunch on a slow day, only to get hit with a large rush job that makes you hustle.

I would never drink if I were operating offset or a guillotine cutter.

m giese

"One giant liability"

I am with Starsign on this.

In today's litigious climate, Certainly high on the top ten list of discovery questions would be Where did you consume the alcohol? and the rhetorical, oh, you were at work? (note to paralegal, find out the corporations, llc's, whatever insurance premium value, and add them to the defendants list, and while your at it, the owner personally also), And that's just the civil trial... presuming you weren't even over the limit. The old deepest pockets theory...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know who it is that gave you permission.... boss, wife or just in your own head, but I would think if ANYTHING at all went wrong, there'd be some hefty problems to face.

Suppose a machine breaks down and you go to fix it and your arm gets stuck..... do you think insurance is gonna pay for your arm to be sewn back on ??
Suppose you messed up a piece of machinery..... will they say you indulged too much ??

I think no alcohol should be on the premises at all times.

When I was younger, I had a totally different attitude, but not any more. Someone has to answer for when things go wrong and to stop them ahead of time would be 'No Alcohol on Work Premises at ALL TIMES'.

Unless, you are having a company party or gathering of some sort.

tsgstl

Like everything else it all comes down to moderation. I always have a beer in my fridge. If its after hours and I have drank a 2 liter of coke I will grab one. Never once been drunk at the shop nor had a employee drunk.

If I eat lunch at a place that serves and have 2 I am not productive at all when I get back. Not sure what it is about having a cold one or two in the afternoon but I just want to go to bed.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Got some around here.... even have a separate fridge I'm going to customize just for booze soon!

xxaxx

At my last shop we always kept the fridge fully stocked with beer and every day at around 3 or 4 they would start getting cracked open ... and the owner had a bottle of jack always on hand in his office that we would open pretty much any late overtime night or friday.

Where I am at now, not so much (actually not at all.)

SignManiac

Some of my best creations were while being buzzed. We no longer allow our employees to partake while on the clock, but I'm the boss and if I want to have a beer at work, I will.

slappy

Yes. Oh you mean on an install...? Depends how close to the end of the day it was I suppose....and who the client was.

lettering a vehicle at the station being offered a beer by the chief of police :Big Laugh "sure, wth...." lol. my fiance even had one, it was after 6, I was there all day 10a till 9p and he went with me to help. Only one though, didn't need to get pulled over before leaving the parking lot:rolleyes:

C

ColoPrinthead

I really don't see a risk of injury being all that high unless using a high speed laminator. I always figured having beer would void any legal troubles or workers comp attempts.