• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bought a plotter, software, and vinyl. Wondering where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signmeup

Jim is right. Post an avy that's cute and girly and you'll get a free pass. Decal girl is probably a fat 45 year old dude with 3 teeth named Bubba. (Not the teeth.. the dude)
I suspect Decal girl may even be an experiment to see if this double standard is true. (probably not but it would be interesting...)

Jillbeans

Hey I've been hard on (no pun intended) clueless newbs regardless of their gender.
As for this OP, I think he should stick with lawns, or pressure washing, or whatever gig he's mastering that particular week.
I hear there is real good money in selling adult toys.

40ounce

Hey I've been hard on (no pun intended) clueless newbs regardless of their gender.
As for this OP, I think he should stick with lawns, or pressure washing, or whatever gig he's mastering that particular week.
I hear there is real good money in selling adult toys.

hahaha.

I can see the thread title now:

"bought sex toys, lube, wondering where to start?"

Fanaticus

I wonder how many people sign up for this forum to learn something (this is signs "101")... get bashed and then just give up and never return.

Don't give up OP, we all started somewhere, unless we are fortunate enough to have our business handed down to us or we were lucky enough to have gotten our foot in the door years ago. Every time you learn just one thing new and can put it to use, you've made progress.

People laughed at me when I used my lunch breaks at the plastics factory to work on my business ideas.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think it's a gender thing, either. If you come here disguising your real intentions, it doesn't take very long to get found out.

Wanna be a schmuck and remain one is entirely up to the individual.... guy or gal. Anyone can turn events around, but when you have close to 100 posts with 95% of them feeling the same way..... it's quite obvious that someone is doing something wrong.... or at least barking up the wrong tree.​

I've seen and have been part of threads where someone gets a feeling started and the whole community here tends to follow suit. Kinda like a feeding frenzy. To me, that indicates a tight community where we all look out for each other. However, there are those that think it's a mob rule kinda thing and is wrong. We're all responsible for what we do and have the ability to agree or disagree with anyone.... anytime. Should someone start a movement or have strong opinions about something, I'd expect the rest to follow their own instincts or moral judgments in posting. You can't go around blaming everything on a certain individual or a group of members, based on your own feelings.

I don't see any resemblance at all to the thread of the Decal Girl vs. this one. Besides that Decal Girl hasn't really returned and she wasn't bashed in the least. So, as for people leaving because of being told the truth, that's baloney. They leave because the want to leave and/or realize they don't fit in with professionals. Some people just come here for a specific reason and leave.

If you stumbled onto a forum about radio type airplanes and didn't have an ounce of knowledge about it.... will that forum teach you every step of the way about building the plane to the workings and how to build a transmitter and receiver because you're making a living at it or it's a hobby ?? That's the difference..... this place is not for hobbyists and quite frankly, it's been riddled lately with complete novices that don't have a clue about business, communications, knowledge on equipment to be bought or already purchased, what anything means in the sign world and what works and doesn't work in this trade. Not to mention where to buy a single item, what items are for what, obtaining permits, proper insurance and the proper working conditions of a business.... not a hobby.

I'm sure some of you know this, but how many of you people running a business out of your house, garage, basement or out building on your property are 100% legal ?? :help

In Pennsylvania, it is against the law by the IRS, government regulations, insurance and zoning boards to run a sign shop out of your home and meet all the regulations. If you are a regular home owner or live in an apartment, you can have paint laying around, brushes, thinners and other chemicals like poisonous weed killers, insecticides, ink for you printers and all kinds of stuff. No law against it and supposedly, you don't know what potential problems exist having all this stuff around and regular home owner's insurance will cover you. The moment you claim to be a business, that all changes.....completely and totally..... if you are running legal and give your insurance company and zoning officer all of your information. You now must keep certain chemicals here and not open and children can be no closer than so many feet form tools and other dangerous objects. Closing up for summer air conditioning and winter heating also traps a lot of fumes in your house which can't be good for anyone if the authorities have such strict rulings for the same business in a proper place of business. OSHA won't allow you to operate even a jig saw, now that you are legal. Do you have fire extinguishers and smoke alarms, eye washing stations, proper ventilation for a business... or only a home ??

This is the difference between wannabee and professional sign people. Again, I know there are a lot of you working this way and are probably 50% to 75% legal, but what if something goes wrong ?? Can you handle it if the insurance company comes in and says.... oh, I didn't know you did that also. You're not covered at all for that. Sorry. How 'bout when the zoning officer comes by and says, shouldn't you be manufacturing or light industry to be working around with some of these tools ?? Oh, and let's not forget when the fire marshal stops by and says..... why aren't those chemicals in explosive proof rooms or where are your explosive proof lights and/or switches ??

This is why these kinda threads don't do squat whether you are on the giving end or the receiving end of things...... these newbies haven't a clue as to what they are getting into and when you start telling someone what they need to do, they tell you to shut up and they're gonna do it their way anyhow.

So, a simple 'welcome from..................' and give them enough rope to hang themselves is my approach. Now, sit back and watch the fireworks. :peace!:

Jim Doggett

I bought a S.W. Panther 24" plotter with the serial connection, desktop computer with LXI, got a couple clipart books and CDs, 20 18"x18"x24" boxes full of vinyl, probably half scrap, a good percentage of half-rolls of vinyl, etc. I thought I got a pretty good deal on the package, 2k, but am trying to decide how to get started. The equipment was new in 2002, and I was told it only has 10 hours on it. Its an older system, but I figured, for the package price, and the opportunity, why not.

Hi Joeslawn,

We have some resources for users of our products:

Knowledgebase and downloads: www.signwarehouse.com/support

Support and chat community: www.signwarehouse.com/forums

Best,

signmeup

I'm sure some of you know this, but how many of you people running a business out of your house, garage, basement or out building on your property are 100% legal ?? :help
I'm pretty sure we don't all live in PA. I know I don't. I also know that I have a business permit to operate out of my home. And insurance. And a fire extinguisher. Heck I even got a small grant from the government to build my shop... beside my home. Not all places are as backwoods when it comes to letting people go about their business. Must be New Hampshire's that's motto is "Live free or Die." Sure doesn't sound like PA's.

RobbyMac

combine both business together to offer custom engraved or pinstriped adult toys. slightly used.

Seriously... it ain't rocket science, but theres so much to learn about the materials, equipment, methods, etc... reading on the net vs real life experience doesn't compare. ESPECIALLY when you are the shop owner responsible for the finished product.
Find a job in a sign shop... get some clue to the industry.

Otherwise... I guess you can start selling fine art along with your signs. I mean, you have all of the equipment, and know how to use pencils and paintbrushes right? Walah! Instant artist!
Hell, get a copy of photoshop and you're golden!

andy

I wonder how many people sign up for this forum to learn something (this is signs "101")... get bashed and then just give up and never return.

Don't give up OP, we all started somewhere, unless we are fortunate enough to have our business handed down to us or we were lucky enough to have gotten our foot in the door years ago. Every time you learn just one thing new and can put it to use, you've made progress.

People laughed at me when I used my lunch breaks at the plastics factory to work on my business ideas.

When I inherited my sign making estate from the 3rd Earl of Avery I clearly recall thinking "how fortunate indeed"...

JKADesigns

Simply put, you guys with the exception of one or two are a bunch of jerks. You cannot read the OP and figure out what the hell I am doing. I bought a computer, plotter, and vinyl and was simply looking for a few ideas or input on how to make some money with vinyl. Obviously, I must be your newest competitor, so you're scared to death that I'm going to run you out of business. I came on here because I thought maybe someone would give me an HONEST opinion on what sells, i.e. baseball field fence signs, or should I be making Victorian scroll decals for car mirrors? I didn't get any of that, and it's quite clear that 99% of you are NOT professional sign makers. Where else do you get the time to waste posting 5,000 times? Give me a break. I'm looking for $500 extra a month. That's nothing in the business world. Go back to your little hidey holes and play with your sex toys instead of wasting your time and mine posting on this thread. I will figure out what I'm doing myself without wasting any more time responding to stupid comments. As to the people posting about dangerous chemicals or whatever, I said I bought VINYL, a COMPUTER, and a PLOTTER. I'm not doing hand painted signs. I'm not doing high rise signs. I'm doing some damn vinyl and probably will end up using coroplast and making some simple stuff. Hell I'm not even looking to compete with the local sign shops, this is $500 a month. Most of them probably do that in a day when it's good.

Now I'll say Thank You to James for some good, clear posts, and it was clear that he read what I asked and gave me some thoughtful advice. Thanks again.

HulkSmash

Simply put, you guys with the exception of one or two are a bunch of jerks. You cannot read the OP and figure out what the hell I am doing. I bought a computer, plotter, and vinyl and was simply looking for a few ideas or input on how to make some money with vinyl. Obviously, I must be your newest competitor, so you're scared to death that I'm going to run you out of business. I came on here because I thought maybe someone would give me an HONEST opinion on what sells, i.e. baseball field fence signs, or should I be making Victorian scroll decals for car mirrors? I didn't get any of that, and it's quite clear that 99% of you are NOT professional sign makers. Where else do you get the time to waste posting 5,000 times? Give me a break. I'm looking for $500 extra a month. That's nothing in the business world. Go back to your little hidey holes and play with your sex toys instead of wasting your time and mine posting on this thread. I will figure out what I'm doing myself without wasting any more time responding to stupid comments. As to the people posting about dangerous chemicals or whatever, I said I bought VINYL, a COMPUTER, and a PLOTTER. I'm not doing hand painted signs. I'm not doing high rise signs. I'm doing some damn vinyl and probably will end up using coroplast and making some simple stuff. Hell I'm not even looking to compete with the local sign shops, this is $500 a month. Most of them probably do that in a day when it's good.

Now I'll say Thank You to James for some good, clear posts, and it was clear that he read what I asked and gave me some thoughtful advice. Thanks again.

:rolleyes: There's ton of advice on this thread. Are you blind? You want to focus on the negative that's your choice. Think of it more as a wake up call. Really.

Also how do you make 500 a month giving away free signs......:covereyes:

JKADesigns

Sure, I know there's a bunch of "good advice". At this point it's kinda useless to me. I can read all over the forums if I want to know any of the stuff and I wouldn't have to deal with the BS and the sarcasm that I've gotten on this thread.

I want to know

"WHAT SELLS FOR YOU THAT IS MADE FROM CUT VINYL".

If you can't reply with something that answers that question, please STOP posting.

wildside

I came on here because I thought maybe someone would give me an HONEST opinion on what sells, i.e. baseball field fence signs, or should I be making Victorian scroll decals for car mirrors?

i tried to help along with others believe it or not, your are asking people to answer a question only you can answer....

what sells in your area?
what do you want to sale?
do you know how to make what you want to sale?
are you aware of MSDS?
even vinyl and coroplast deals with MSDS....
vinyl has chemicals in it...did you know that...

you are wanting to hear what you want to hear and hundreds of professionals are answering with what you don't want to hear..

you can name call many of us, and call us childish and unprofessional - but your reaction proves you are nothing different - other than you called us names instead of telling us what research you have been doing and what you have been learning - professionalism comes from both sides of the street - as i said before, which i doubt you read anyway, i wish you luck in your endeavor no matter how long or short it lasts.......

Status
Not open for further replies.