• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bought a plotter, software, and vinyl. Wondering where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildside

Whats the best way for me to figure out how to price cut vinyl aside from calling some of the other sign makers in the area and seeing what they're charging? I'm thinking about getting a subscription to Signcraft and a copy of their pricing guide. Thanks for your input!

what other people price stuff at will not pay your bills...

do some homework on your own, research materials, overhead, fair market value, advertising rates, comparable media costs, radio prices, newspaper prices - figure out why, what you are selling, costs what it does and why you are actually making money for your clients not costing them money

what to charge a client is the least of your worries at this point, do you even know anything about "signs" at all? have you even considered the design and layout aspect of all this? billing issues? inventory? promotion? tire kickers? taxes? licensing? insurance? permits? copyrights? - those are just a few things you need to be well versed in before you even consider setting out to sell a "sign"

i get that your motivated, however you are really blowing off a lot of useful information from people that you think are just busting your balls - these people have been in the industry for years, even decades - i paid my dues for a decade before even considering to do it on my own - and i now know that one of the most important things is balancing - you can be a great artist and fail - you can be a great business person and fail, the balancing act between the two is the key!

good luck on your endeavors no matter how short or long they may be.

SignManiac

It doesn't matter what the guy does. He said himself its a hobby, and he only wants $500 a month. This dead horse is beaten to death.

OldPaint

these rolls of 7125 3M i have, i just pulled a roll outa the box........ZER0 SHIRKAGE!!! i have an old roll of AVERY A6........now you want to talk shrinkage.........its a 24" roll, and has 3/8-1/2" shrink ON BOTH OUTSIDE EDGES)))))

CheapVehicleWrap

I think he had to take time out to lose money on his farm that he dangled in front of us as the ace in the hole that justified losing money on his signs...

I mean, I feel bad if he is, and hope the floods didn't really turn his operation into the red... but I sure wondered why he counted his bushel profits so often, so publicly and so early in the season...

what's that saying? "pride before a fall" ?

I hear ya. Well obviously you cant get flood insurance out there, so it's a good thing he didn't owe any money on the place.

As far as this old vinyl thing goes... even ammunition doesn't last forever. Would you really want to rely on 30 year old ammo to protect your farm and family with or would you rather have FRESH stock?

Yes, I have some REALLY old vinyl too and I use it from time to time... not on a REAL paying job though.

It's a crop shoot and depends on the vinyl and how it's stored. Heck, I bet if you kept Avery vinyl long enough it would probably start to stick.

where do i sign up for one of signmaniac's classes :) making money the easy way...now here's the funny thing...he really taught those classes and there are ppl that would beg to take them again.

but heck signwarehouse has a package deal. watch a couple youtube videos bust open those boxes..hire someone to make you your sign. read a book or two (i dont think most ppl go that far) and you are now in business.

now how do i sell a sign?

Tim Aucoin

this IS a joke.

"sign business is easy money" - hit your idiot button,
and make yourself an award sticker for
stupidest quote I have heard in a long time.

Wow! Funniest post I've seen on here in a long time! :ROFLMAO:

This thread has given me an idea for a new series of comic books! See... you can get rich easy in this business! :rolleyes::rolleyes::clapping:

OhioSignShop

1st off, i see a lot of you telling this guy 3-4 year old vinyl is NO GOOD. then follow that with vinyl on the shelf is only good for 2 years. now i aint no brain surgeon or mat=a=ma-titian, BUT.... IF the cheap vinly is advertised, lets say SHINE-RITE is good for up to 6 YEARS....once applied. then why would it only be good for 2 years on the shelf???? and lets move to HP VINLY...AVERY 900 SERIES..says it good for 10 YEARS!!!!!
i
The unactivated adhesive will dry out on the stored vinyl and it will shrink and not stick is the simple answer. The applied life of the vinyl is different and you can expect the various advertised lifespans you quoted to be close to reality.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I might be setting up myself for my own whippin' here, but I'll go on the record and applaud the man (joeslawn) for making an honest attempt to begin a new chapter in life. I've seen other newbies who've been just as green, yet haven't asked as many questions, and they haven't gotten nearly the flaming as Joe.

I especially remember one female member (that was fairly new to the trade and catered to the same customer base), and she seemed to be treated like royalty around here. Post was made in the New Member Welcome 7-10-11...check it out sometime.

Sounds to me like estrogen vs testosterone doesn't make a difference....yet testosterone vs testosterone = daggers. ....Just sayin'

Jim

Last edited:

CheapVehicleWrap

I might be setting up myself for my own whippin' here, but I'll go on the record and applaud the man (joeslawn) for making an honest attempt to begin a new chapter in life. I've seen other newbies who've been just as green, yet haven't asked as many questions, and they haven't gotten nearly the flaming as Joe.

I especially remember one female member (that was fairly new to the trade and catered to the same customer base), and she seemed to be treated like royalty around here. Sounds to me like estrogen vs testosterone doesn't make a difference....yet testosterone vs testosterone = daggers. ....Just sayin'

Jim

yeah but she's kinda hott and her English cute. Don't matter where in the world you're from, man arse is still man arse :)

iSign

I especially remember one female member (that was fairly new to the trade and catered to the same customer base), and she seemed to be treated like royalty around here. Post was made 7-10-11...check it out sometime.

Sounds to me like estrogen vs testosterone doesn't make a difference....yet testosterone vs testosterone = daggers. ....Just sayin'

Jim

check it out? ..how about a link then?

MikePro

estrogen, testosterone? i call dibbs on bashing your attempt to compare:
(a) an introduction in the new member's section from someone who understands at least a part of the trade.
to
(b) a google stumble across a sign forum and figuring to ask how to run a business with a buncha stuff he found in the dumpster.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
estrogen, testosterone? i call dibbs on bashing your attempt to compare:
(a) an introduction in the new member's section from someone who understands at least a part of the trade.
to
(b) a google stumble across a sign forum and figuring to ask how to run a business with a buncha stuff he found in the dumpster.

With all respect, I found this at the top of this page:

Newbie Forum New to the business or thinking about jumping in? Got some basic questions? Ask them here.

He's already jumped in...throw him a life preserver...not an anchor. I honestly believe he's owed some apologies here, regardless.

JB

MikePro

you're just no fun. honestly tho', he's gotten great advice... considering his vague post and lack of replies. and so what if people catch a chuckle on a weekend?
...or a place to lash out at others on a monday?

iSign

ok,.. dammit... I'll throw him a life preserver....
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
the one way to turn everything around for him, and get all his questions answered & receive all the assistance he will ever need...
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
a new avy (and name):
avy.JPG

mark galoob

95% of what ive read and posted on this thread so far is accurate and honest. if he wants sugary flowers with hippy mammas dancin to drums, and little winged fairies...how is that going to honestly help someone like that....he needs to take a real assessment of his business and reevaluate.

mark galoob

Status
Not open for further replies.