• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

copyright

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...convoluted self-serving rationalization mercifully deleted...

...It all comes down to basic logic, you need to understand them properly.

Did it ever occur to you that I might feel as I do because I do understand not because I don't?

W

wetgravy

Did it ever occur to you that I might feel as I do because I do understand not because I don't?

Still have to prove that to people reading the fact you just called retail profiting as copyright theft.

bob

Still have to prove that to people reading the fact you just called retail profiting as copyright theft.

One can only wonder what that sentence might have said had it been written by a sentient being.

Dan Antonelli

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and all that jazz?

yeh, that's what they say. But when you google the first few sentences on your home page, and its verbatim on 20 or so other sites, it's not flattery, it's theft, first, and laziness, secondly.

Rewrote our new site from scratch. Can't wait to see how many sites steal that one, too. What the hell, 40 hours on copywriting, help yourself.

natedawg9640

Read that sites user agreement link. Seems like he is contradicting himself

Question regarding the final paragraph (disclaimer) on that user agreement...

would that in effect displace any legalities regarding the printer (aside from moralities) and hold up if you were to end up in court over a spongebob picture?

Marlene

so just what is you stance on copyrights bob? just answer with a simple answer instead of trying to dazzle the crowds with your picturesque use of the English language as I would really like to know. you touched on the whole thing as being outdated. yes, the world has changed and we can steal with an ease that no one had access to years ago. in the past, it took a pro to steal artwork. now any bozo with a computer can. do you just think the laws are outdated or do you think that because we all can now steal with ease that the laws should be dropped so those who wish to steal can?

WildWestDesigns

yeh, that's what they say. But when you google the first few sentences on your home page, and its verbatim on 20 or so other sites, it's not flattery, it's theft, first, and laziness, secondly.

Rewrote our new site from scratch. Can't wait to see how many sites steal that one, too. What the hell, 40 hours on copywriting, help yourself.

Yep, that's a little much to stomach that's for sure.

TheSellOut

Just curious if it is wrong to reproduce a copyrighted logo for a purely personal use? I made this little game last night so that my 2 year old daughter, my wife, and I could make our own "Mega Millions" quick pick destiny and I used their logo to make a decal for the pick box. I don't plan on selling them, it was purely for personal enjoyment to be played whenever there is a huge jackpot!

Another personal example would be making a sports team logo for display in your home or on a vehicle!

Dan A., on a different topic...I "Like" your Facebook page and love seeing the work you post! Does posting your work there in turn Copyright your artwork and logos being as it publicly displays who and when the post and contents were originated?

Attachments

• 2011-01-04_21-43-08_640.jpg
    2011-01-04_21-43-08_640.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 93

2972renfro

so just what is you stance on copyrights bob? just answer with a simple answer instead of trying to dazzle the crowds with your picturesque use of the English language as I would really like to know.

OMG, the most awesome reply to Bob ever. I agree. There needs to be a [bob to common english language converter.] Us lower slobs don't know half the time what he is saying

bob

so just what is you stance on copyrights bob? just answer with a simple answer instead of trying to dazzle the crowds with your picturesque use of the English language as I would really like to know. you touched on the whole thing as being outdated. yes, the world has changed and we can steal with an ease that no one had access to years ago. in the past, it took a pro to steal artwork. now any bozo with a computer can. do you just think the laws are outdated or do you think that because we all can now steal with ease that the laws should be dropped so those who wish to steal can?

I think that an entirely new model needs to be developed wherein the concept of 'intellectual property' must be redefined. It's unclear the the traditional concept of 'intellectual property' is realistically enforceable give technology that's ubiquitous. There is no distinction between innocent casual use and intentional malicious use. The traditional injunctions cast far too wide a net.

It's also unclear that 'intellectual property' in anything that can be owned in the same sense that one owns real or chattel property. It would seem that you can only 'own' something that you can hold. But then I tend to regard the entire universe as community property. You're mileage may vary.

To sum up, first demonstrate that 'intellectual property' is indeed holdable defensible property. Legislation proclaiming it so does not make it so. After doing that, then describe just how such property might be held given technology that's near universally available without being unctuous and arbitrary.

Marlene

thanks bob for the answer. I like it when you just chat as you do have some pretty insightful ideas that kind of get lost in your usual posts

There is no distinction between innocent casual use and intentional malicious use. The traditional injunctions cast far too wide a net.

that is a really good point. as a professional, I respect the laws and do the best I can to obey them. in my private life, I would make a big old Mickey Mouse for my grandson's wall. Disney and their ownership of the image would not be impacted by this as no one but my grandson would view this and no one would make a dime off the Mickey Mouse. my Dad made me both Donald Duck and Mickey for my walls when I was a little kid and no one from Disney was impacted by that either. If I or my dad tried to sell a Mickey or used it as an example of the kind of work we can do to promote ourselves, I think then it goes way past casual use into malicious use.

It's also unclear that 'intellectual property' in anything that can be owned in the same sense that one owns real or chattel property. It would seem that you can only 'own' something that you can hold. But then I tend to regard the entire universe as community property. You're mileage may vary.

that too is a very good point as that needs to be defined rather than just calling it intellectual property. on the flip side, people/compaines own phrases and songs. I couldn't use "Bang Your Head" as a theme song unless I paid for the rights. some how, most people do understand that so why is it that when it comes to artwork, people don't? is it that the music and advertising industry are better at expalining useage rights?

Bigdawg

Just Me
My daughter works - or worked for until this morning - one of those wanna-be-I-can-do-it-cheaper-sign-screenprinting-companies. The owner had the bright idea of cutting thermoflex DEA, FBI badges for shirts and selling them on ebay. My daughter declined to do the artwork - she pulled up the law and showed him where SHE would be liable - not just him.

He told her she wasn't going to tell HIM how to run his company. She said she wasn't going to jail over this or even taking the chance - her momma taught her better than that. So when he started screaming that she would damn well do what he told her - she not-so-politely told him FU and quit.

As an employer - no one has the right to ask you to violate the law. No one. And if she wants to fight it over why she left - she probably has a decent case. Just sharing this story because it was relevant... if you are asking your employees to violate the law - you are in the wrong. And violating a copyright is violating the law...

Locals Find!

I recall that there is a member on here that uses the old post office logo as part of their own logo. Big no-no

Yeah that moron was me. Got the dumb thing off an old clip art disk and used it for a portion of my logo. Didn't realize what it was at the time. Still trying to get it removed from everything.