• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

copyright

shadi75

owner
interesting aquick question on the topic

Excuse my ignorance about this but i have a quick question :

How about recreating art work painting and printing them on canvas, those painting were painted long ago, the artists have been dead for centuries like the mona lisa or stary night by von goh. could the museum that owns the piece of art sue for that !

Is there a way to check and see if the copyright have expired on old art work like that.

iSign

Is there a way to check and see if the copyright have expired on old art work like that.

yeah, just ask here... there are so many legal opinions spouted here you are sure to get one to suit you & it's always worth the price you pay!

iSign

Just curious if it is wrong to reproduce a copyrighted logo for a purely personal use?
ummm... yeah, it would be "wrong" in the sense that it's not legal, but I'd do it... ONLY as described, for myself... BUT, the theory is that it has value, because it's recognized & appreciated, and has been marketed such that people might want something like that (you do) ...and if people might want it, someone might legally make it available.. and at that point, they are losing a sale to you..

the other problem is that once we (myself included) begin to imagine it's alright to make one for our personal use.. it gets closer to seeming like making one or two for your buddy & his buddy's personal use is just as safe... you see where this is going right?

Another personal example would be making a sports team logo for display in your home or on a vehicle!

you're joking right?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

How about recreating art work painting and printing them on canvas, those painting were painted long ago, the artists have been dead for centuries like the mona lisa or stary night by von goh. could the museum that owns the piece of art sue for that !

There's no copyright on the sort of stuff you're talking about, there never was.

I print my share of Rembrandts, Manets, Millets, etc. on canvas. You can make all the copies you want, you can incorporate the images into other works, you can do just about anything you want with them. But what you cannot do is try to pass off a copy as anything but a copy. Fat chance with a digital print.

Locals Find!

The copyrights on those pieces of artwork expired with the Artist. Artwork that is Copyrighted by a Corporation doesn't expire until the corporation itself expires. Now a Copyright done by an individual expires upon their death. Then the work becomes public domain. This has happened with many popular songs such as Happy Birthday etc and the works of art in question.

signswi

There's no copyright on the sort of stuff you're talking about, there never was.

I print my share of Rembrandts, Manets, Millets, etc. on canvas. You can make all the copies you want, you can incorporate the images into other works, you can do just about anything you want with them. But what you cannot do is try to pass off a copy as anything but a copy. Fat chance with a digital print.

Just because an artwork is old doesn't mean the rights haven't been transfered. Old masters are generally fine but you have to be careful, many many foundations and family trusts legally own the rights to works from authors/artists long dead. We really don't want to go down this road though, as a former art museum employee with an art history degree...this isn't the forum for this topic.

My general advice? Don't be a dick, profit off your own works or those you're directly authorized for. Anything else? Stay away from it. Pretty simple. Everytime I see someone with a Calvin pissing on something sticker I die a little more. Poor Bill Watterson...

shadi75

owner
I just remembered how a friend of mine who was selling t-shirts, had his che guvaro t-shirts taken of ebay, even thou the photographer was long dead his family still owned the right and were active in it.

I guess when it comes to old art better make sure its not still protected by the family.

I m not sure why this isn't the forum for this topic, i understand if a customer wants a Disney character that i know is illegal, but if a customer wants a mona lisa on a poster or canvas its good to know whether its legal or not.

Thanks thou this is helpful.

The copyrights on those pieces of artwork expired with the Artist. Artwork that is Copyrighted by a Corporation doesn't expire until the corporation itself expires. Now a Copyright done by an individual expires upon their death. Then the work becomes public domain. This has happened with many popular songs such as Happy Birthday etc and the works of art in question.

Oh Goodness.....where's my button...where is it......

BLEEEEEEEEEP....(that's the sound of my game show buzzer)

wrong answer. i'm not trying to bust your balls...but this is what kills me ... why make statements on a subject like this if you don't know them to be correct? it is obvious that the poster of this statement doenst have a good grasp of the subject we are talking about or as a professional in the trade he would not have used copyrighted images in his logo..let alone the US Post Office's images, I'm not trying to be mean here it is just abundantly clear you are not clear about this topic.

Obviously at some point Adtech thought it was acceptable to take bits and pieces of other's work and use that to make his own original 'logo' (off a disc he purchased from his statements) he has learned it isnt the case, i'm sure that was embarrassing and it takes work & money to remove it from his companies image, that could have been avoided. But where did he get that idea? Just look at some of the questions that have popped up in this thread about using sports logos for your own use and such...the misinformation or misunderstanding is everywhere and at some point it is going to cost you or your customers money if you do not understand the basics.

ok back to the song 'happy birthday' it is protected until 2030 because of the copyright extension law of 1998....and here's a little trivia for you. many will say it is owned by Clayton F Summy Music Production Company (and that is usually the correct answer in trivia games) but it is currently owned by the Time Warner Co. estimates are that it brings in over $2M per year in royalties.

WildWestDesigns

The irony of threads like this, is that when people that are without law degrees that rattle off this is/isn't allowed on whatever law is dangerously close to be violating the law as well. Whether or not what they say is correct.

Professions such as Law and Medical have very strict rules and regulations over such things due to the "intimate" nature of those professions. Now with the internet, there is some room to scratch and burp with regard to what you say until things catch up, as most people see the internet as a place that people still have to vet the information they read very carefully. As the internet is steadly becoming the first place people go for information(if it isn't already there by now) that'll change for sure.

But if you were to go up to someone during a "physical" conversation and say this or that is or isn't allowed under the law. You could be sued. Or if you say to someone, sounds like your kid is sick or sounds like you are sick, you could be sued unless you have certain letters after your name.

Case in point, I knew a barn manager that told a boarder at his barn that it looked like her horse was lame. She sued and won. The claim was giving medical(in this case vet.) advice without a license. Now, you might be thinking why as that seems to be kinda harch reaction. They were on the outs and I think she was especially wanting to get something to stick it to him. Not many people have evoked that law in my experience, but it's still on the books and that's all that matters. I don't know what he does now, but he doesn't manage that barn anymore. I've done it numerous times with boarders at my barn, still do. After so many years you pick up on that just by experience, but it is still against the law. As it is in TN anyway.

That's just another irony, that isn't far off from the irony that DanStriker mentions. It's because of what Dan finds ironic is why we have rules and regulations for certain professions. Regardless of whether or not they offender is correct.

natedawg9640

Case in point, I knew a barn manager that told a boarder at his barn that it looked like her horse was lame. She sued and won. The claim was giving medical(in this case vet.) advice without a license. Now, you might be thinking why as that seems to be kinda harch reaction. They were on the outs and I think she was especially wanting to get something to stick it to him. Not many people have evoked that law in my experience, but it's still on the books and that's all that matters. I don't know what he does now, but he doesn't manage that barn anymore. I've done it numerous times with boarders at my barn, still do. After so many years you pick up on that just by experience, but it is still against the law. As it is in TN anyway.

i don't doubt it at all, but that's absurd and that lady should be ashamed. unless there is some other matters behind the story, that just irks me. If i wank up to someone and say, your horse is limping it might be lame. and they sue me, i'd be tempted to leave a large flaming bag of poop on thier door step. and by large flaming bag, i am just making a non-incriminating example of retribution. rediculous.

WildWestDesigns

i don't doubt it at all, but that's absurd and that lady should be ashamed. unless there is some other matters behind the story, that just irks me. If i wank up to someone and say, your horse is limping it might be lame. and they sue me, i'd be tempted to leave a large flaming bag of poop on thier door step. and by large flaming bag, i am just making a non-incriminating example of retribution. rediculous.

Oh no, there was a back story, but that's what she did to stick it to him. One of the reasons why I'm not a big fan of burning bridges no matter how much you want to chant "burn baby, burn".

I can't remember if it's on this forum or another one that I belong to(not related to signs) where a user's siggy as something like this: "Be careful about the toes you step on today as they might belong to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow", or something to that affect. Very very true.

Marlene

:thread
It just might. I'll go in shock if "Last in Line" and "Catch the Rainbow" would be your choices as well

went to u-tube and to have a listen. both songs are a little to soft for me. for soft, slow songs, I go way way back to Metallica's "Unforgiven". that is one of my all time favorites and to me, is the best of the best of slow songs. Jim Hatfield's voice is amazing and I just love it. I could sit and listen to him just talk for days....

WildWestDesigns

went to u-tube and to have a listen. both songs are a little to soft for me. for soft, slow songs, I go way way back to Metallica's "Unforgiven". that is one of my all time favorites and to me, is the best of the best of slow songs. Jim Hatfield's voice is amazing and I just love it. I could sit and listen to him just talk for days....

I do like a good Metallica song, but I'm more along the lines of "Torn" and "Thorn Inside".

All time fav. slow song is Danzig's "Blood and Tears".

Marlene

I do like a good Metallica song, but I'm more along the lines of "Torn" and "Thorn Inside".

All time fav. slow song is Danzig's "Blood and Tears".

not bad, but still a little too soft for my liking. another older song I love is "Drive" by Incubus. I love that song