• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Do you 'tag' your signs?

Do you tag your signs?

• Yes

Votes: 73 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 40 33.6%
  • Wait you can do that?!

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters

anotherdog

usually a 2 inch removable sticker with a logo and the 1-800 number on the back if there is a back... Unless its a trade job of course.
Mainly just as a reminder of where to get replacements when it wears.

signswi

Yes unless it's a trade job. Drives a lot of sales. Our competitors in the area do the same, most much more heavy handed then we are. Not that it matters since we trade print for all of them...

TheSnowman

I just last week had that thought of putting them on banners and started doing it. I just print it on the back of the hem, and it doesn't take me any more time. I would think it's handy to the next guy. I'd never do it wholesale for those customers, but retail, single sided banner, no problem. FOR SURE on anything I do for a school athletic event, even on yard signs small. Never the same person in charge.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm a monument guy and nope...I don't tag my work as of yet, but perhaps in the future...with a small, removeable stainless tag on the back of the stone.

But here's where it gets carried away: One of the bigger monument companies on the east coast literally sandblasts their logo (about the size of a quarter) onto the FRONT of the (granite) headstone / monument, and also onto the base.

They claim it's a "status" thing...being able to afford one of their "rocks"...but I'll be danged if I'm going to plaster my logo right next to somebody's death date. I'm sure many families are miffed over the practice.

JB

Farmboy

Web address and phone number go on our screen printed coro signs. Text is no bigger that 10pt. All of our shirts get hang tags.

FS-Keith

Every sign that goes out(not signs for other sign shops) gets a label. banners, coro ect get a small 1x2 decal on the back. Channel letters get 1x3 decal on each end of the letterset. cabinets/raceways/monuments get multi layered cut out vinyl with name and location.(in a tastefull size) We get full strip malls of work because the new tenant will go around and see our nice work everywhere and know who to come to.

npcsignworx

Of course

Our signs look so damn cool! people always want to know where to get them.

It's also for maintenance purposes. If the old customer sell up and the new one doesn't know where to get his signs cleaned or bulbs changed etc...
It's worked for us numerous times. :)

HulkSmash

Well you guys probably don't 'need' any extra advertising...a 2 inch sticker on the back of an 8 foot banner isn't exactly defacing someone's property...besides many people come back for new stuff using that sticker. never had a complaint.

its removable anyway...

The simplicity of it is, If they ask me to put a small decal or logo on it of mine, i will. I will not ask the customer, or do it without asking unless it's some type of electrical signage. Whenever i buy a car, i immediately rip off their dumb decal. Last thing i want is my customer feeling the same way.

You can run the business the way you want.

btw, Banners, Signs "and" etc doesn't make sense. Might want to remove the &..

slipperyfrog

Whenever i buy a car, i immediately rip off their dumb decal.

Yes but you don't rip off the vehicle branding plastered on every side of the vehicle. It is a fact of life. Almost any item you buy now is "tagged" by the producer/manufacturer. Why sell yourself short and not include the association of your name?

We get plenty of calls off of the small decal we put on the back of signs we produce. It does not infringe on the customer. It shows we are proud of the work we do. Many times a customer has said we lost your business card but found your number on the decal sticker.

Last edited:

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Of course we don't, but I strongly suggest our customers (Sign Shops) do. Something on the back of a single sided banner or small text in the lower corner of a yard sign. It makes good sense.

Customers constantly forget where they got something from. Help them remember.

If all your stuff has your name on it some way or another, there will be a standard set and the customers won't mind. If they ask you not to put it on there, a simple "No Problem" will handle that.

Your existing work and existing client base are the BEST ways to get more work and more clients hands down.

Make yourself easy to find!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I tag at least 90-95% of work with a small printed decal.
24 years in business and only had one person complain to me. I see a few of my trucks on the road where a customer has removed it but the majority leave them on and for years...

I've received countless calls from potential customers who see some lettering/graphics on a vehicle they admire in Home Depot parking lots, Lowe's, plumbing supply stores, hardware stores etc. because of the decal.

rjpjr

no, the product belongs to the customer.
Cars, refrigerators, jeans, cigarettes etc. are all products that belong to the customer... and all of them are "tagged" by those who created it.

If you commission a painter to paint your portrait, are you going to get upset when they sign the bottom corner?
While some signs are indeed works of "ART", the general public does not see them that way, and I would agree with them.

Yes but you don't rip off the vehicle branding plastered on every side of the vehicle. It is a fact of life. Almost any item you buy now is "tagged" by the producer/manufacturer. Why sell yourself short and not include the association of your name?

+1

Craig Sjoquist

YES indeed

WHY I'm proud of what I do so about 95% get my phone#
which is my name

Only smaller info or vinyl signs that are just lettering with or no real work in design / layout.

Many customers forget or do not want to say who did it, WHY cause they do not want the sign shop to be busy when they order the next sign or compete with them.

I've seen some awesome work & gone in and ASKED .. WHO DONE IT days after person that signs the check will just has this no idea attitude & very few will say anything, those people aren't afraid of competition usually do good business.

If you do outstanding work ... secret is putting your name on it so it can be readable, you will get more work.

Note been doing this since 1975

Locals Find!

I put stickers on everything I do. Usually on the outside packaging for printed products, on the frames I sell, and on the backs of the banners.

I don't answer my phone anymore anyways and now people are banging down my door, trying to hand me money$$$ My customers think more highly of me the more I ignore them.
-Learned that little trick from Addie.
:Big Laugh

:ROFLMAO: see how completely fast one forgets the totally stoopid things on this site ??
I forget all about that pearl of wisdom stellar business phones101 . . :thankyou:

You two can keep laughing but I have 12 large print jobs line up this week already, 4 logo design jobs, a partial wrap, and signs for a new bank opening a branch in town. So, laugh away boys for a 1 man operation I am laughing it all the way to the bank. I can already see my new truck sitting in my driveway next year if this keeps up. I might even go out and buy a printer too. Start asking some of my own questions about how to profile colors etc...

BTW, I am not low balling these jobs these are all referrals, and I am still working a full time job and raising 3 kids. I must be doing something right.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Cars, refrigerators, jeans, cigarettes etc. are all products that belong to the customer... and all of them are "tagged" by those who created it...

That bit of inanity is locked in a tie with the comment about an artist signing his work for what has to be the absolute stupidest comment yet on this thread.

An automobile isn't 'tagged' by Ford. It IS a Ford. Likewise for smokes, and to a lesser or greater degree, most all other brand name products. It's how you can tell one from the other.

No such distinction can be made for signs. A sign is not a ''this shop' or a 'that shop', it's a sign. Being such, there's seldom, if ever, a need to tell one from the other.

...While some signs are indeed works of "ART", the general public does not see them that way, and I would agree with them...

That being the first thing you've said that even approaches the edge of sensibility.

HulkSmash

I

You two can keep laughing but I have 12 large print jobs line up this week already, 4 logo design jobs, a partial wrap, and signs for a new bank opening a branch in town. So, laugh away boys for a 1 man operation I am laughing it all the way to the bank. I can already see my new truck sitting in my driveway next year if this keeps up. I might even go out and buy a printer too. Start asking some of my own questions about how to profile colors etc...

BTW, I am not low balling these jobs these are all referrals, and I am still working a full time job and raising 3 kids. I must be doing something right.

God, this made my night. I'm curious who's doing the 4 logo designs.
Addie you never fail!

CanuckSigns

That bit of inanity is locked in a tie with the comment about an artist signing his work for what has to be the absolute stupidest comment yet on this thread.

Thanks bob, as long as you disagree with me, I know i'm doing something right.