• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help getting started, looking to buy stuff.

sarge

i believe those who scream racist first are the real racists .. that statement about lazy whites and black being racist to stupid .. if your not part of the solution your are the problem .. it is funny how we all pick and choose what we think it is right or wrong .. take that post where one of our merchants thought it was ok to pirate software .. it is no different then stealing someones art .. when we buy software we know the rules .. like racism .. and politics .. .. our country was built on the backs of imigrants .. many of them illegals .. we need them now as we needed them 100 years ago .. simply we are a nation of imigrants .. and we all deal with illegal imigrants like it or not .. they are in our business and every other business accross this country .. it is funny how everyone got in on this and have no clue the premise .. it just shows ignorance .. i enjoyed this thread .. all this over a simple man wanting to put letters on his race car .. and all the "real macho pros" beating him up .. so i stood up for him and i got all this drama .. isnt this fun .. stand up and be proud of yourselfs pat yourselfs on the back

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
.. all this over a simple man wanting to put letters on his race car .. and all the "real macho pros" beating him up .. so i stood up for him and i got all this drama .. isnt this fun .. stand up and be proud of yourselfs pat yourselfs on the back

You still don't get it then Sarge. Signs 101 is a forum for professional sign makers and those who want to be. Our registration form makes this clear and even details out that those seeking to save money by not dealing with a professional by buying their own equipment will not be welcome and should not register. The original poster claimed he was or wanted to be a member of the sign making profession on his registration. He then made it clear that he lied when he made that statement.

If you think we should be recommending to people outside of the profession that they go out and buy their own setup ... if you think the members here should be in the business of training people how to bypass the professional community ... then I suggest you make a sign to the effect that this is how you feel, plant it in the front of your shop, and offer counseling and training to the masses.

You have posted here in the last 24 hours how you have cracked your software so you don't have to put up with the agreement you entered into when you licensed the software. You have posted here in the last 24 hours that you regularly hire illegals and that you hold the majority of the members of our profession in disdain. Now you are sticking up for a cheapskate who decided to do without the services of a professional but now needs help from us as professionals.

So I can only conclude that you are a habitual criminal grasping at obtuse rationalizations to justify your behavior and either dead set on alienating almost everyone here or too stupid to realize how ignorant you come across.

Last edited:

Techman

we need them now as we needed them 100 years ago

No we do not. We have plenty of legal and properly documented people in our country.

It is not racist to want illegal immigrants out of here. It is not right to have them here. If they are here against the law and we ignore it then we are condoning breaking the law. The illegals are not above the law. No man is.

Just Me

You still don't get it then Sarge. Signs 101 is a forum for professional sign makers and those who want to be. Our registration form makes this clear and even details out that those seeking to save money by not dealing with a professional by buying their own equipment will not be welcome and should not register. The original poster claimed he was or wanted to be a member of the sign making profession on his registration. He then made it clear that he lied when he made that statement.

If you think we should be recommending to people outside of the profession that they go out and buy their own setup ... if you think the members here should be in the business of training people how to bypass the professional community ... then I suggest you make a sign to the effect that this is how you feel, plant it in the front of your shop, and offer counseling and training to the masses.

You have posted here in the last 24 hours how you have cracked your software so you don't have to put up with the agreement you entered into when you licensed the software. You have posted here in the last 24 hours that you regularly hire illegals and that you hold the majority of the members of our profession in disdain. Now you are sticking up for a cheapskate who decided to do without the services of a professional but now needs help from us as professionals.

So I can only conclude that you are a habitual criminal grasping at obtuse rationalizations to justify your behavior and either dead set on alienating almost everyone here or too stupid to realize how ignorant you come across.
owned!:signs101:

S'N'S

I don't want or need to get into the preceding posts.

The OP has stated that he only wants to do race cars and wants information on how to do it, what cutter etc to buy and once he's got this information we probably will never hear from him again, so what benefit is he to this forum.....none. These knuckle draggers are the reason I now DON'T do and never will do racecars again, sick of their cheap ass crap. Yep, they're exactly the same here too, expect everything for nothing.

Deaton Design

The guy that posted this topic had to know that this was gonna happen. You come to a board where people that make their living or at least half of it making signs, being designers, etc. and tells us all he wants to make his own lettering for his car. What did he expect? Im usually the type to never jump in on these kind of posts, but this one got my drawers in a wad also. He never really stated his reasons for wanting to do this, but we all know what it is. He doesnt want to pay for it. Sure, it will cut his expenses down somewhat if he does it himself, but with no skills, its not gonna look worth a crap. Thats the mentality we all have to deal with now. Hey, I can get me a cutter, some vinyl and a cracked cutting program, and make signs for my car, my dads business, etc. Ive got three or four people here local that bought their own cutter, and they sit gathering dust in a corner somewhere. One even called me to help them set it up, told me I was too high, so they were going to do their own. I didnt call back.
Collectively, we here are willing to help anyone if they are serious, and dont expect us to do the work for them. Everyone here knows that making signs isnt as easy as ebay sellers and others make it out to be. Its takes some skill. Come in here and ask nicely and be serious about this business,and people will help you out, or direct you to areas that will. Come in any other way,and expect what happened on this thread.

Joe Diaz

Sarge, you’re a glutton for punishment.
I skimmed through this thread this morning, to try to understand where you are coming from and I just can’t. Maybe you can see where I am coming from. At least try. I personally think you are very confused at the reason the country isn’t what you wanted “to come home to” . You blame everyone else for being lazy, but I really think yours and others who think like you are the real source of the problems.

Do yourself a favor, ask your son to translate for you. Have the illegals that work for you prioritize a list in order of importance for why they are here illegally. Do you think welfare or medical care is closer to the top of the list? or jobs? I guarantee you its jobs. They just want to work and make money and are willing and able to do it a lot cheaper then average American citizens. I also guarantee you that the illegal immigration would be less of a problem if people like you weren’t providing them with jobs. This used to only be a problem with large corporations, to outsource work to cheaper labor, but now small business can get involved too as long as illegals can make it to them. You are a perfect example of this.

It all boils down to greed… wanting to make money by doing as little work as possible and paying little to those that are willing to do job for very little. It also boils down to respect, not respecting the people that want to make an honest living, not having respect for the actual profession by thinking that any person is capable of doing a job if the price is right. You see whites and blacks as lazy, while I see us as not willing to work our a$$es off for little pay like those who are here illegally. So what you are saying is we should be willing lower our standard of living to compete with people that aren’t here legally? that don’t pay taxes, and don’t follow the rules? That makes absolutely no sense.

But you say it’s everyone else’s fault because of a vote. You say that they are over hear because we have made our country a safer, better place to live. Will s#!t I should have been voting to make this country a crapper place all this time. What was I thinking?

Before we went on this tirade about illegal aliens, this post was about a guy wanting us to freely share with him our knowledge so that he can take work away from another fellow sign professional. I think you are defending this guy because you can relate, because it sounds like you got into the business for the same reasons. Now us “real macho pros” aren’t really worried about the competition, We are worried about guys like the O/P, or guys like you who illegally use cheep labor, devaluing the products we sell, by lowering the cost of things to unrealistic levels, making harder for the industry as a whole to make a decent LIVING (notice I emphasize living). The problem is they really have no clue the true value of what we do. And… the motivating reason to try to get into the industry was because they didn’t understand or respect how us “real macho pros” come to our pricing.

Last edited:

signage

Sarge could you afford to live the life you are living now without you government (military) retirement on the wages you get from you sign shop? Also remember that if no one is paying taxes your government retirement will dry up so I would think that you would want to hire legal employees that pay taxes to supplement your pension, not illegals that take the money and run!

THATgirl

Many of my friends and customers have hired illegal Mexicans thru the years. I often told them how I felt, that they should be giving the work to Americans who pay taxes. Their replies were always the same 'the Mexicans work hard and the lazy American's don't want to work for less than 15.00 an hour' So yes, we are in a mess now. The banks have signs with Spanish and no English. (this is nuts, it's AMERICA! ) Our emergency rooms are full of illegals getting free medical. The roads are full of illegals with no auto insurance. So we tax paying Americans have to pay more for everything to cover the non paying illegals. It's not only Mexicans, it's Pakistan, and Iranians etc. coming into our country as well, illegally.

In defense of sarge. I think people in signs101 jumping all over newbies over and over and over again does get on peoples nerves. I have seen sarge give helpful advice, I think he was just at the end of his rope with all the rude replies.

I also think that there should be a section that has all the info that people keep typing over and over. (read mike stevens) (get a price guide) (learn to design before you buy your own equipment etc.) for the new people to have a link to, to avoid reading the same old sh!t over and over. How many times do we have to read this? Some do come off as awfully high on themselves when in fact they could take some lessons in manners and design as well.

webguru

Alas, a small light flickers in the darkness! :loveya:

Many of my friends and customers have hired illegal Mexicans thru the years. I often told them how I felt, that they should be giving the work to Americans who pay taxes. Their replies were always the same 'the Mexicans work hard and the lazy American's don't want to work for less than 15.00 an hour' So yes, we are in a mess now. The banks have signs with Spanish and no English. (this is nuts, it's AMERICA! ) Our emergency rooms are full of illegals getting free medical. The roads are full of illegals with no auto insurance. So we tax paying Americans have to pay more for everything to cover the non paying illegals. It's not only Mexicans, it's Pakistan, and Iranians etc. coming into our country as well, illegally.

In defense of sarge. I think people in signs101 jumping all over newbies over and over and over again does get on peoples nerves. I have seen sarge give helpful advice, I think he was just at the end of his rope with all the rude replies.

I also think that there should be a section that has all the info that people keep typing over and over. (read mike stevens) (get a price guide) (learn to design before you buy your own equipment etc.) for the new people to have a link to, to avoid reading the same old sh!t over and over. How many times do we have to read this? Some do come off as awfully high on themselves when in fact they could take some lessons in manners and design as well.

kustomkoncepts

(COMENTARY MY OPINION)

Fred

first this turned into a political debate and should be shut down even as funny as it has been.

as part of the registration people should have to submit a picture of their store front sign and door, yellow page ad, Have a working SIGN related web site and a EIN number or sales and use number or business lic number. Make it so only legite sign makers can get registered.

Make a board of directors that if 10 CM or MM deem a person Rude, Stupid or just has bad intentions can vote to have him banned.

Use your Admin power!!

keep the idiots off here or make this a full pay site and raise the rate will thin the field to people who want to be here and are professionals.

Just My .02 pesos because that is what the american currency will be soon

Bigdawg

Just Me
Fred does use his awesome admin powers for good - not evil <smiles>

It is such a fine line between censorship and moderation. I just read all this crap for the first time this morning - kustomconcepts - we do everything we can to only let only signmakers register... you have no idea how many registrations Fred or I look at each day. All of them are processed manually so we can weed out those that aren't. What you are suggesting is more process then I think we need... the ones who pretend to be professional eventually out themselves just like Sarge did.

TheProfessor

+1 to the second half of THATgirl's post... In the newbie section make a thread with pitfalls and a disgustingly long list of things needing to be purchased/pricelist and that should drive away anyone who isnt serious about actually being a sign maker. Not that I am trying to drive anyone away, but why would you be here if you weren't in the sign business?? Its kinda silly...

as to the whole illegals... I kinda think that if they are smart enough to get here, can prove they have gainful steady employment and are enrolled in english as a second language, I think they should be able to stay as long as they pay taxes. Even if its just a work visa that stipulates the payment of taxes, I'm sure 3/4 of the immigrants would happily pay taxes and not get deported.

I'm not defending, but I think sarge is getting totally misunderstood... My interpritation of what he was originally trying to say is that he couldnt get anyone "legal" in his area to take his jobs so he hired ilegals to actaully get work done. He wasnt saying that he originally only looked for illegals because he didnt want to pay money... he couldn't get anyone else to do the work...

kustomkoncepts

I'm not saying your guys don't have a great site. you do a great job also.

I for one would be one of the first people BANNED here because every one thinks i'm a a$$. I'm not emune to it either.

I know that if everyone had to pay $50 to register for a year guys like the Origional poster of this post would have never got on. he would have kept going until he found a free site to register and ask his question.

THATgirl

bigdawg, pretty sure sarge is a professional sign maker. He may have ticked a lot of people off on here, but I think he also makes a lot more money than lots of people on here. I guess everyone has their own way of doing business.

Also notice how many professional sign makers get into the forum a bit too heavily at first, then eventually calm down, or get bored and leave.