• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I've been to your profile page... and i must say, I'm very disappointed!

Jillbeans

Indeed I did.
You don't know who Norm is? He's our "star", the guy from This Old House and New Yankee Workshop. The guy with forearms like Popeye. He put in an appearance at the Nor'Easter (but to be honest in person he was rather flat) He pops into 101 now and again.

signgal

OMG that's awesome! makes sense now LOL I should arrange a meeting here for the ISA show... see what celeb we can get there :D

GypsyGraphics

Anyone else notice the only ones interested in their profiles are female? hmmmmm

While I'm quoting Flame, my questions are more directed to Jill, Marlene, Signgal and any other girls who might be reading this thread. I'm wondering if there isn't some validity in what Flame says.

It's has at least got me wondering...

Sorry, this is gonna be a long one.... and maybe a "girl thing" so you might wanna skip this Flame... or check your testosterone at the door.

This may seem off the thread topic, but I don't believe so...

With changes in my business in the past year, and more so the last 6 months, it appears I need to put myself in front of potential clients and do the "networking thing." In the past, business came to me, I never had to leave my office. So, one on one in the office, made for a more personal connection with clients and I'm sure, at least part, helped establish ongoing, very long term, business relationships.

Clients have express that they feel like I care about their business and that is important to them. It's not some kind of strategy, it’s the way I like to work. The down side is, I know give client too much time and allow them to talk on the phone or hang out in my office longer than is necessary. But if they come in worried or stress about their project and leave happy, having writing a check… seems to me it-all-good.

So, I guess my question is, IS IT a girl thing to want to know who you’re dealing with?

I never ask anything personal of clients, but that doesn’t stop them from telling me their life story. Some of which is helpful to know but most not necessary, other than the fact that they seem to want to tell, maybe making it necessary for them.

But by the same token, I too like to know who I’m dealing with in business. I’m less likely to use a subcontractor who is tight lipped, or the opposite, chatting you up salesman-like. There’s a middle ground in there, just enough info where you say to yourself, “now here’s someone I want to work with.” And those are the ones I stick with, use their services and don’t shop around to beat their price. Their knowledge, integrity, quality work ethic and customer service matter a great deal to me.

That can’t possibly be a girl thing!

Sure I’d find out who I’m dealing with, once we’re into a job, but isn't it better to know as much as possible when your deciding who to work with?

And back to, having to be out more meeting potential clients and doing the “networking thing” … even as chatty as clients can be in my office, I’ve been caught totally off guard by how little business talk goes on at these business networking things. Way more personal then I ever expected, which tells me people like to do business with people they know.

Business would be much easier, if I had Flame’s attitude… “just the facts” no personal info necessary… but it’s not what I’ve experienced in my office and really not what I’m seeing meeting business professionals who I’m meeting and hoping to have as clients.

I think it’s a whole different ball-of-wax for females running their own business.

For 13 years, they way I’ve dealt with clients and subcontractors has worked, and worked well. To me there’s a big difference in asking to know a little history of the people who advice and suggestions I read/take and taking it too far and too personal.

From Flame and other guys here, I get the impression that, unless it’s straight up business, it’s too personal. But that’s not what I’m seeing in my business, not even the guys I deal with.

So is the difference, guys doing business with guys vs girls doing business with guys.
Or are we girls just more personable by nature and therefore in business as well?

Jill, Marlene , SignGal, Stacey?????? Enlighten me!

Maybe this would have been a better suited to a knew thread… “Calling all Girls.” But really, better to hear from the guys too, since they make up the majority of who we deal with... may as well know what they do and think on the matter. Even knowing they think the topic is “pointless” tells us something.

Last edited:

Stealth Ryder

By the time I got to the end I for got what the question was??? I have always been told I have no attention span what so ever...

Reckon I am a typical man...

"the facts mam, just tell me the facts"

signgal

Well, I'm not sure which question I'm answering but yes, we girls are much better at networking and getting to know people and yes, that is necessary if you're gonna stay in business. My best, most faithful customers have cried on my shoulder, shared there proudest moments in their life and just hung around the shop BS'in with hubby and me. And let me tell you something, it's the guys that come in the shop and rope me on the phone, who tend to talk the most!

I recently started a woman's networking group because a few of us gals felt like the guys are just plain selfish when it comes to passing a lead on. They think so much about themselves that they don't see the benefit in getting business for others. Not to mention this area is quite the "good ole boy" network. I'm by no means a male basher. Some of my most favorite people are guys.

There just from Mars when we're from Venus LOL

GypsyGraphics

By the time I got to the end I for got what the question was??? I have always been told I have no attention span what so ever...

Reckon I am a typical man...

Probably got two sentence in before it started sound like the Wa Wa Wa (charlie brown thing).

SUPER SIMPLE DUDE VERSION
Are you straight up business, needing OR preferring no history, experience or personal information from client's or subcontractors? If so, does that apply to both men and women, no matter where the conversion takes place (your office, theirs or business social environment?

GypsyGraphics

SignGal, THANK YOU!!!! You've answered several questions!

I have so many changes going on in my business and how involved I get, on a personal level with people, is something I'm questioning ...in just about every aspect of my business, in and out of the office.

And it is for me, just as you said... "My best, most faithful customers have cried on my shoulder, shared there proudest moments in their life and just hung around.." and "it's the guys that come in the shop and rope me on the phone, who tend to talk the most!"

So there in lies the problem, the impression/presumption of "All Business" and the fact that It's Not!

sincerely! thank you!

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

I knew it.. It's bash the men time..

Man bashing????

So there in lies the problem,
the impression/presumption of "All Business" and the fact that It's Not!

That statement is MY issue and what appears to be for other women as well.. while we'd like to be "All Business" some of us just don't have it in us to cut to the case with clients and keep them at a professional distance.

The guy who's profile I mentioned, at the very beginning of this thread, that I thought was so great.... specifically disucess how much friendly chat time he allows clients. It's the very reason an S101 member said it was a MUST-READ for me. I read it, enjoyed it and agree with it every single thing he said. Some of what he does, I already do, some I'll try to do and some, like keeping friendly chat to a minimum... probably can't do.

The guy who's profile that was... very smart man. The guy who made me read it... very smart man.

And the guys who hang out here and chat too long, no dummies either... I'm guessing, on their dime, they wouldn't be quite so chatty.

So man bashing I THINK NOT... i could use a does of what they got. just a little does though, let's not go overboard

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I had a tiny bit more information about myself and I have posted work from a job I was at. Bit me in the butt... this was here and other design sites. There are more than a few insecure people out there who will start trouble for whatever reason they have. Simply not worth losing a client or a huge budget job because of someone else has personal issues.

That said, a few months ago I noticed the need to step up my networking beyond my current network of people. As well connected as they are, they are starting to get a little slow and some are dropping out of the business or keeping the scraps that they have. I am free about my information to whoever it is... competition or not. I pass off work to other designers because I am not qualified to do it, or know someone that will do a better job or I am too busy but need to send the client to someone I know will do a good job.

I get you about secretive or the over salesperson thing. I generally will not do business with them. I have to "feel it" from a client or I will not do the work, or get overly cautious myself, and I hate doing business that way. The forum to me is about me working alone and needing some outlet to deal with the trappings of working alone.

If I went the route of networking, I have yet to figure out how to communicate in that manner. My version of the sign business may not work well with networking on this site... or at least I have not figured out if my expertise is needed enough to be a merchant member to start properly networking. After 12 or 13 years of forums, I have learned to be careful about what I put down probably need some intense forum therapy to change the way I do it.

Sinkers

Very off topic, but I would love to see a pic of Jill wearing a very short dress, I have said it before, Jill is the hottest bird on this forum by far!

A bit creepy of me I know lol

iSign

some of the short posts people write make me laugh... a thread may have nuances & implications as diverse & complex as a chess board...

...& some guy walks in & says "tic-tac-toe"

sure dude... 3 in a row... cool observation

WOW 11,111 POSTS! Stupid reason for editing this post, instead of writing a new one... but I use stupid reasons for a lot of things I do... so that's my reason this time... anyway...

My user name used to be my real name & my avatar used to be my business name & logo. With a minimum of effort someone could find my identity from many of my 11,111 posts... but at least I'm not broadcasting it as blatantly anymore & that change took place because of an event here at Signs101.

There was a guy advertising an Edge printer for sale here. I happened to see him advertise it at www.4edgetalk.com also, but prior to advertising it there, he had been trying to fix it, so checking his profile over there turned up many posts about how much trouble it had given him... someone over there had done the detective work & shown a light on these possible problems that might still remain with the equipment he was trying to sell, so he left there & came here to try to sell it. Well, out of respect to my friends here, and in the interests of fair play & justice in general, I posted a link to the discussions about possible unworthiness of his Edge.

10 minutes later I received a phone call with terroristic threats stating my name, business name, & shop address, and the claims that the caller (the owner of that edge) was a frequent visitor to Hawaii who knew what I looked like & would be visiting me some day, and I'd never see him coming. Of course his profile gave me nothing to identify him. Lesson learned!

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

I had a tiny bit more information about myself and I have posted work from a job I was at. Bit me in the butt... this was here and other design sites.....

I get you about secretive or the over salesperson thing. I generally will not do business with them. I have to "feel it" from a client or I will not do the work, or get overly cautious myself, and I hate doing business that way. The forum to me is about me working alone and needing some outlet to deal with the trappings of working alone.

After 12 or 13 years of forums, I have learned to be careful about what I put down probably need some intense forum therapy to change the way I do it.

Well, it took a few days but FINALLY... some valid reasons for just having basic info on your profile page!

Rick, your post got me thinking... there are so many people here I've come to respect, you included, all with very basic info on their "about me" page. And those very smart men I mentioned... nothing personal on their pages.

I know I've had what seems to be some very disconnected questions throughout this thread. But really it's been about, how much information we disclose to people we communicate with in regards to business. I've found myself saying "WOW i didn't know that" after reading some great info on a few members here and wonder why that info wasn't in their profile here.

Now, having read your post and hearing privately from a few, I think I'll change MY profile page. The "about me" tab through me off when I first signed up here, that title isn't appropriate for the info that goes there. Unless there was another section, head of "interests" where we put something brief like what's often in a new members welcome.

Oh and... Jill, cute baby pic... can I borrow that dress? Someone mentioned 20 year old pics on profile pages, if he was talking about baby pics, I think we're talking more like 40 years old. Jill, how did you get a different pic for your, avatar, profile and mini stats? Like how Rick has his avatar in his signature. Think I'll change things up when I delete the personal info if I can figure out how.... still don't want to be all straight up businessy.

skyhigh

I've been on here for 5 years, and allready GG has surpassed me in "visits to her profile" by 8 fold. Of course, I've been there a dozen or so times myself :loveya:

:Oops:

maybe if I had man boobs like op, I would get more visits?