• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Losing Weight.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Yet 50 YEARS of research has yet to show that. Cultures that thrive on diets of almost nothing but meat have almost no history of cancer or heart disease. You want to find a direct correlation between diet and cancer look at processed meats and corn syrup.

Yeah, it's because that post is full of falsehoods which are refutable with 5 minutes of research... Keto has been shown to decrease cancer cells and was used many years ago as a way of managing epilepsy. It fell out of fashion once manufactured medicines became more prevalent.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215472/

equippaint

Yet 50 YEARS of research has yet to show that. Cultures that thrive on diets of almost nothing but meat have almost no history of cancer or heart disease. You want to find a direct correlation between diet and cancer look at processed meats and corn syrup.
The lead manufacturers 60 years ago also showed through their research that lead was safe in paint, gas etc. DuPont didn't agree that CFCs harmed the atmosphere either.
There are no civilizations that thrive on meat, if any were considered theyd be tribes who have under than average life spans. They typically dont live long enough to deal with cancers and heart disease in any scale. The counter is the Japanese, they dont eat much meat and overall health is better.
I agree in principal with processed foods but there has been no correlation of increased disease found with consumption. On a strictly statistical basis, one could argue that life expectancy has increased with the increased use of preservatives in foods. Corn syrup is bad, its overused, but its more associated with obesity and diabetes but in moderation there arent issues with it. Like everything in life, it comes down to personal responsibility. .
Another counter argument is that cancer risk increases with age and people live longer now than 50 years ago so cancer cases will rise. As will heart disease.

decalman

Your statement is 100% false. Meat does cause cancer heart disease and diabetes 100 different ways. Meat raises the acid in the body, which causes tumor's and cancer. It's an abomination. Multiple research studies prove this, hands down.

Jun Lanon

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone else is doing the diet thing. I looked at the archives and the threads on weight loss are years old. I started to diet with one plan and switched within a couple of days after starting when I realized that the diet was not sustainable. I am now on the WFPBLS(Whole Food Plant Based LifeStyle) plan and have lost over 30 pounds. I have gotten off my blood pressure meds and have reduced my diabetic meds significantly with lower blood sugar levels. Best thing is that I'm never hungry and can eat as much as I want.

If anyone is interested in this life style change, You can get started by checking out this website. https://www.drmcdougall.com/ It's all free information and direct to the point.
Lost 30 lbs in 30 days. No extra effort, just 30 minute exercise routine I created and still all you can eat thing. Learning and understanding how your body work is essential to healthy living. Diets don't work. Physical trainer and Martial arts instructor for 30 years.

decalman

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone else is doing the diet thing. I looked at the archives and the threads on weight loss are years old. I started to diet with one plan and switched within a couple of days after starting when I realized that the diet was not sustainable. I am now on the WFPBLS(Whole Food Plant Based LifeStyle) plan and have lost over 30 pounds. I have gotten off my blood pressure meds and have reduced my diabetic meds significantly with lower blood sugar levels. Best thing is that I'm never hungry and can eat as much as I want.

If anyone is interested in this life style change, You can get started by checking out this website. https://www.drmcdougall.com/ It's all free information and direct to the point.
I'm so proud of you.
I became a vegan 10 years ago and lost 55 lbs. Being vegan is better than people think. Sick people all over, but so far.... but so far, not me

DerbyCitySignGuy

Lost 30 lbs in 30 days. No extra effort, just 30 minute exercise routine I created and still all you can eat thing. Learning and understanding how your body work is essential to healthy living. Diets don't work. Physical trainer and Martial arts instructor for 30 years.

Nobody wants to hear this, but this is the gospel. You can lose weight on a diet, but you'll never keep weight off on a diet. You'll likely get fatter than when you started.

The best way to lose body fat is to add muscle mass. HIIT works. Add muscle mass, get cardio at the same time.

Brandon708

I've been doing ketogenic for a year as of the first week of July. Lost a lot of weight but what I am super happy about is my migraines are better and I am off all the GERD meds I've had to take for years. I do lazy keto which means I don't actually weigh or measure anything, I just keep it under 20 carbs per day. Really easy to do and really easy to live with.
Thats what I've been doing basically with the Keto diet. I've lost about 35 pounds.

d fleming

Wife has us on the fast metabolism diet. It's a book her cousin used and had success with. Yesterday and today are meat and veggie days. Tomorrow we get to add fat. Lost almost 40 pounds since Jan cheating the whole way. Laid off it for a minute, now back at it. Want to lose another 30 and I'm good.

flyplainsdrifta

I've lost 40 pounds in 2 years because of running 6 printers at the same time. no eating change. could it be a tape worm? thats what my girl seems to think considering she's been dieting for a year.

petepaz

calories in and calories out...bottom line. the best diet to use is the one you will follow. most diets are good if you follow them. here is the thing, once you diet and lose the weight you need to eat healthy. you don't have to be on a diet your whole life, everything in moderation. you can still have pizza or ice cream or soda just not every day.
eat healthy and exercise you will have less dr. visits and live long enough to be around when social security runs out...haha
i see so many people use a diet to lose weight and then go back to the bad habits. it may not be easy but once you get things in order and do it a while it becomes instinctive not hard.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I thought I'd give this tread a bump. It has been nearly 2 years since I stared the Plant Based lifestyle(Since 3/1/18). I have lost 40 lbs and kept it off. I don't count calories and I always get full.

I'm wondering how some of you have been doing with keeping the weight off.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I like the term "lifestyle" as opposed to "diet". The term "diet" often has a temporary connotation, as in someone will get on a diet to lose a few pounds. Once the pounds are gone that person will quit the diet and go back to eating the junk he likes. Then all those pounds will come back and maybe a few more for good measure since the starving routine slowed his metabolism.

The key thing is adopting a balanced nutrition plan that one can stick with faithfully and permanently as a change in lifestyle.

A married couple I know have done the vegetarian thing for about a decade and eased into full vegan recently. Back in the 2000's the female friend started having issues with her cholesterol level. She was pretty slender, active and didn't eat a lot of junky foods, yet her cholesterol turned out to be pretty high, near or above 300 on multiple blood tests. She didn't want to take statins due to the stress they put on the liver. Going vegetarian caused her cholesterol numbers to drop to safe levels (below 200 total and below 100 for LDL). Her husband adopted the vegetarian lifestyle when they started dating.

Most people don't have the willpower to just jump 100% into following a vegetarian, keto or whatever kind of nutrition plan that involves eliminating entire food categories. But it's not all that difficult to just "clean up" one's nutrition if the clean up process happens in a gradual yet deliberate manner. It starts with weaning off the really obvious crap: the potato chips, candies, sugary drinks and other garbage loaded with empty calories -calories mostly devoid of any nutrients. That will make a big difference on its own. As one bad item goes replace it with something more healthy. Watch portion sizes since calories are calories. A person will gain weight regardless of the kinds of calories he is consuming if he eats more calories than he burns in a day. You can get fat eating a lot of protein, just like you can get fat eating carbs or fat.

I think most people don't have a realistic idea of their daily caloric intake. A lot of fitness experts tell people who want to lose weight to keep a food diary. It can be a real eye-opener to see how all the meals, incidental snacking and drinks can add up into a big calorie total.

Some people occasionally go to the gym (or just go walking at the park) in an attempt to offset bad dietary choices. There's two sayings I like: you can't outrun a bad diet and six pack abs are born in the kitchen.

Working out and being active is important. But it doesn't burn all that many calories, not unless you're doing 3-6 hour workouts like a champion MMA fighter or something. Lifting weights builds and maintains muscle mass and bone density. Various methods of cardio are good for conditioning. Any serious workout requires proper nutrition and even supplementation. Without the right "fuels" serious workouts will break down the body rather than build it.

I work out on a pretty regular basis and am keeping an eye on my nutrition and supplements. When you get into middle age it's easier to develop over-use injuries in various joints. Doing more to clean up one's nutrition can help bounce back from injuries faster.

Last edited:

Johnny Best

I weighed 158 lbs in 1966 when Graduating from high school. I now weigh 178 and go to the gym to work out every day for 2 hours. Still the same height at 6’1”. Turn 72 in March.

rjssigns

How to lose weight.
1) Go for your yearly physical.
2) Look at test results and scare yourself.
That is all the motivation you will need.

About the time this happened we rescued a Labweiler pup. Both of us need exercise and I had to stop eating like a teenager.
Dropped 15lbs and cholesterol hovers around 200 and is in balance.
Lots more energy and overall feel better.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
How to lose weight.
1) Go for your yearly physical.
2) Look at test results and scare yourself.
That is all the motivation you will need.

About the time this happened we rescued a Labweiler pup. Both of us need exercise and I had to stop eating like a teenager.
Dropped 15lbs and cholesterol hovers around 200 and is in balance.
Lots more energy and overall feel better.

I just had mine last week and it said my bad cholesterol was "high" at 118. I don't know what I could do because I eat better than 99% of people out there.

I eat fruit for breakfast, usually veggies for lunch and rice/veggies for dinner. About once or twice a week I throw in a fish or chicken for meat. I never go to fast food and if I do it's chipotle. My wife was high too and she is vegan and only eats organic veggies/fruit and fasts everyday till dinner with masticating juicer. I couldn't do her diet but I was surprised.

rjssigns

I just had mine last week and it said my bad cholesterol was "high" at 118. I don't know what I could do because I eat better than 99% of people out there.

I eat fruit for breakfast, usually veggies for lunch and rice/veggies for dinner. About once or twice a week I throw in a fish or chicken for meat. I never go to fast food and if I do it's chipotle. My wife was high too and she is vegan and only eats organic veggies/fruit and fasts everyday till dinner with masticating juicer. I couldn't do her diet but I was surprised.

Odd with your diet, but everyone is different. One of my colleagues made the comment if either of us would get cut we would bleed gravy.o_O

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member

I eat a plant based diet as well. My total cholesterol is 89. I don't eat any meat, dairy, processed food or oils. I also try to avoid plant based foods that are high in fat such as avocados, olives, nuts and seeds. I do eat a few of these but very little. I get most of my calories from starchy foods such as potatoes, beans, corn, and rice. It is impossible to gain weight on these foods so I eat as much as I want and as often as I want.

My doctor told me 2 years ago that my arteries were 65% blocked. A recent exam reviled that the plak has been reduced to 50% and in some places completely cleared up. I'll be 67 next month. It's been nice to be able to run again without getting dizzy or tired.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm in great shape for the shape I'm in.

Like Johnny, I was 182lbs when I graduated high school and I'm right about 188lbs at the moment. In between those years, my weight was as high as 246lbs and as low as 172lbs The last buncha years, my test results were really good, except for my A1C. I blame that on my fluctuating weight over the years. All my numbers are well within the zones they want you in with my A1C at 6.7. My doctor said he wished his numbers were as good as mine and he's almost 10 years younger than me. He's a runner, plays racquetball and some other stuff and is super active. I dropped many things..... soda, booze, haven't had fast foods other than Chick-Fil-A once in a while and a pizza about once a month. Can't really remember the last time I was in a fast food joint. And for those who know me..... I still go to Johnny & Hons with my wife about once a month, too.

I eat eggs, bacon, sausage and just about any other kinda meat and potatoes and all homemade stuff. Everything is made in Olive Oil and onions are in everything. I even have a popsicle or ice cream sandwich every night. Wife makes soups all summer and we eat them all winter long. Yep, everything in moderation and ya really don't hafta feel cheated on anything.