• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My new Logo/Company name

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, if you named your shop after the redwoods as in Sequoia, your upside down 'U' could be a tunnel going through one of those giants and actually become quite the clever usage of the ugly font.

Biker Scout

(Sequoias in a different part, and very isolated part of the state. Not to mention a different species) But yes, that's clever. There is a tunnel through the chandelier tree in the Coastal Redwoods area.

Warlick Designs

I was always told to avoid talking politics and religion with customers. You plan on naming your business after a political topic. You have to ask yourself, is getting your political opinion out there as important as attracting as many clients as you can? Like most topics similar to the one that influenced your new name, you are going to run into folks that appose your point of view. They may not do business with you because of it. They may make assumptions about the rest of you beliefs based on this one thing. I'm not saying that's right, but it is a reality. The question then shouldn't be: "Am I going to attract more customers than I scare off with this name?" It should be: "Could I attract more customers with a completely different name that has nothing to do with politics, and avoid scaring off people all together?" Also keep in mind politics change over time. Is this name going to stand the test of time?

Agreed. However, living in northern ca all my life and knowing what I know about local business up here I will say this. The "jefferson state" thing isn't a big problem for "local business's" in fact I do believe its possible this could be some sort of advantage... but then you have the "test of time" issue. unless everything actually started to come together for there to be such a place I won't have anything to worry about and then after its all said and done I would have a name that coincides with the state I would then live in... I really don't see an issue here is what I'm saying.. :) I do appreciate the response/concern + you make some very valid points.

Warlick Designs

if you've ever been to northern california, then you'd understand that "those people up there" are in no way of running off any business by being all tea party/patriot/succeed from the union/start our own state types. They pretty much stick together and will shop at each other's establishments well before going "into town" to that fancy walmart and avoiding dem der "city slickers"

plus they are part of the "green triangle" and once the stuff is legalized, and it will be, they just want to be one step ahead and not have to send their taxes down to sacramento, where they'd literally do no good for the locals up there. Which is really destitute. Especially since the fishing industries have dried up, and all the leftist tree hugging wackos have basically killed the logging industry. They really are a state unto themselves up there. That area is literally a void, hundreds of miles between two large metropolitan centers, and state capitols.

exactly....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Oops:.... I always thought they were basically the same kinda tree, with slight variances, but the sequoias were just bigger, yet. Heck, I know a lion is bigger than a cat, but isn't a shorthair basically like a wirehair, just subtle differences ??

Anyway, I learned something today. I like that. :thumb:

Warlick Designs

Ya know, if you named your shop after the redwoods as in Sequoia, your upside down 'U' could be a tunnel going through one of those giants and actually become quite the clever usage of the ugly font.[/QUOTE

good idea :) ill probably pass but good idea

Biker Scout

Sequoias are living fossils. Some older than 3500 years old. They are they largest tree by volume on the planet. Their closest ancestor is the cyprus. Which is amazing when you think about the tiny portion of land they live in now, and where they originated from. Before white men came over the mountain passes and started telling everyone about the giant trees, there was estimated to be about 6000 amongst all the groves. Now, only about 100 are left after all the unsuccessful logging attempts. The wood in a Sequoia is so brittle and fibrous they would shatter when chopped down. Any wood that was salvaged, you can't build with it anyway because of the wood's stringy properties. (unlike redwood) And most of the mighty fallen Sequoia trees turned into shingles and match sticks, because of their natural fire resistance.

Sorry, all my Sierra Nevada Conservationist crap came rushing back. I miss my trees.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Sequoias are living fossils. Some older than 3500 years old. They are they largest tree by volume on the planet. Their closest ancestor is the cyprus. Which is amazing when you think about the tiny portion of land they live in now, and where they originated from. Before white men came over the mountain passes and started telling everyone about the giant trees, there was estimated to be about 6000 amongst all the groves. Now, only about 100 are left after all the unsuccessful logging attempts. The wood in a Sequoia is so brittle and fibrous they would shatter when chopped down. Any wood that was salvaged, you can't build with it anyway because of the wood's stringy properties. (unlike redwood) And most of the mighty fallen Sequoia trees turned into shingles and match sticks, because of their natural fire resistance.

Sorry, all my Sierra Nevada Conservationist crap came rushing back. I miss my trees.

So you're saying we should check in with Old Paint to hear what they looked like as seedlings?

wayne k
guam usa

Joe Diaz

Agreed. However, living in northern ca all my life and knowing what I know about local business up here I will say this. The "jefferson state" thing isn't a big problem for "local business's" in fact I do believe its possible this could be some sort of advantage...
Why limit yourself to northern ca? It's a brave new world. One day you could or may want to seek clients outside that area. One of those "City Slickers" could end up being one of your best clients ever. I'm sure you will be fine either way, just adding my 2 cents... for what it's worth.

Biker Scout

So you're saying we should check in with Old Paint to hear what they looked like as seedlings?

He'd probably know... but it would probably not have been until middle age that he saw the first Sequoia trees. He's more in line with the Methuselah Tree Which is about 5000 years old, and in a secret location in the Southern Sierra Nevada. He's probably the only person who knows where, because he planted it! (That tree should be his avatar) :ROFLMAO:

Warlick Designs

Why limit yourself to northern ca? It's a brave new world. One day you could or may want to seek clients outside that area. One of those "City Slickers" could end up being one of your best clients ever. I'm sure you will be fine either way, just adding my 2 cents... for what it's worth.

I don't necessarily want limit myself but for the time being my main focus is up here...

and its worth more than you might think :)
:thankyou:

Warlick Designs

ok took some advice and spent a little more time with it... what are your opinions???

???

Attachments

• Untitled-22.jpg
    Untitled-22.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 119

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think you have to go back to the drawing board.
Look at your thumbnail.
If you don't know what it says you can almost make out the word "signs".
The readability at relatively short distances is going to be poor.
The Jefferson State script is too compressed to have any contrast with the background.
You have the 2 lines slanted at two different angles.
The offset between the start of "Jefferson" and "State" does not make any sense.
Looks like all three were placed by dropping them in random spots.
The black lines of the "state" map will have people guessing as to what it is supposed to be.
On the plus side the combining of the tip of the upper case "S" and the lower case "i" has a subliminal Japanese tentacle erotica look to it that could work well........
You should do a search here of some of the logo development threads and you'll pick up a good deal of info on how others have started out rough and ended up with something nice.

wayne k
guam usa

player

Just pay a professional to do it for you. You will get so much more business with a nice professional logo. From the samples and discussion, your experience is not in typography or design.

Marlene

it is pretty horrid looking. the fonts are bad. the colors are bad. the format is bad. the state or part of a state or whatever that is bad. usually there's some bones to a bad layout that can be fixed but I'm not seeing anything that can be moved or re-done to help this. why not try something else and see how that works

SignManiac

Just out of curiosity Warlok, where did you learn and study graphic design? Or by chance, are you self taught? Are you totally opposed to hiring an outside designer or heel bent on doing it yourself?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Marlene and Maniac have hit the proverbial nail on the head.

This thread has got to be a joke or someone just trying to spin our wheels. No one is gonna come to the table with the first mess and then listen to post after post of good constructive help, turn it all aside and then post up this latest piece of work..... and I use the term loosely.

If this is all you have, you better forget trying to please your friends on one side of the fence or not, cause you ain't gonna be in business very long, unless you have something else up your sleeve. :rolleyes: