• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My new Logo/Company name

jen.reelez

I had to look up what "Jefferson State" was. I'm not American though. If it's that controversial, maybe just go with "Jefferson Signs" as someone else suggested?

Me, too...I prefer "Jefferson Signs". Better to have a logo/business name that gives peace in our lives,, :Big Laugh

player

I would use your last name. I had 2 scam artist use names similar to my old company and they were able to fool people into thinking they were using us when they called them. This time I was sure to use my last name so when people want my quality there is no mistaking my company name.

Marlene

time to weld or not makes no difference when you have no talent. just do what you have as it is wonderful and amazing. love the bear coming out of the letters and the great colors you picked. it is a winner and will work great to help you sell your amazing talents. just as well be honest and show the people what you can do

Warlick Designs

thank you :)

time to weld or not makes no difference when you have no talent. just do what you have as it is wonderful and amazing. love the bear coming out of the letters and the great colors you picked. it is a winner and will work great to help you sell your amazing talents. just as well be honest and show the people what you can do

:thumb:

Dan Antonelli

What if I told you there was a book or two you could buy that could really help you understand the fundamentals on building a logo. Would you buy it?

I'm not specifically talking to you, but often, the problem is that people want to be able to understand how to do something NOW, without investing the time it takes to really understand the fundamentals of how and why. It's why people don't buy books anymore. Because it's actually requires work to help master and understand any given topic. Nowadays, people want a blog post and think by reading it, they're good to go.

The samples you sent show that some fundamentals may be missing from your understanding on building a brand. It's great that you're trying to jump and try and build your logo. But maybe take a step back and study the basics on what an effective brand looks like, how they are usually built, and then perhaps take a shot it.

Or, if it's not really your cup of tea and you don't really want to take the time to learn what it takes, then consider hiring a pro. Sometimes that is a more effective use of your time, and you'll end up with a better product in the long run. Plenty sign shop owners hiring brand and logo designers to do their own brand. Doesn't make them any less accomplished in what they're good at - it makes them smart for trying to build on the positive brand promise a great logo delivers.

Just my two cents bud.

Biker Scout

I've had this theory/observation for years, and it's something I know I can't say out loud, especially in here... but I'm gonna mutter it anyway. "People who use Corel, Flexi and other oddball programs (like Quark) aren't the kind of people that are adept at real logo design and brand building." Now I know there are plenty of talented people who are the exception, but that's the case for everything. Just like so called designers and artists who do own the industry standards don't necessarily know what they are doing just because they have the tools as well. But it's just something I've noticed over the years having drifted though nearly every kind of industrial design environment, from Newspapers to Boutique Design Studios.

OK, now that I've said that... I'm sorry, please don't think less of me. Feel free to FLAME ON! :covereyes:
:flamey:

Joe Diaz

I've had this theory/observation for years, and it's something I know I CAN say out loud: Folks that are too focused on what tools other's use, then form some sort of ridiculous conclusion based on the tool set rather than the final product, cannot see the forest for the trees.

Biker Scout

Not even gonna debate the tool vs. user, I agree. It's just a tool. But I've never seen a traditional sign maker be good at developing a brand or package design or even know what a marketing plan was. Just like I don't know how to properly guild a sign. Doesn't mean I can't learn.

Dan Antonelli

I've had this theory/observation for years, and it's something I know I CAN say out loud: Folks that are too focused on what tools other's use, then form some sort of ridiculous conclusion based on the tool set rather than the final product, cannot see the forest for the trees.

Agreed. I used Freehand up until 2 years ago when I was forced to use Illustrator because I could no longer use Freehand on the new Mac OS. Probably 500+ brands created with that application.

Joe is one of the best in the business, hands down. He uses Corel. In my opinion, there isn't a designer anywhere on this site who could design at Joe's level regardless of their design application. Joe has a traditional sign painting background, and can design some of the best brands in the business. I come from a traditional sign painting background as well.

It's not the tool, it's the craftsman behind the tool.

Joe Diaz

But I've never seen a traditional sign maker be good at developing a brand or package design or even know what a marketing plan was.
Then you must either be new to the sign industry or haven't even come close to meeting some of the folks I know. There are a bunch of sign makers I know that can create outstanding brands. You seriously underestimate your fellow sign makers. It's a big world we live in and there's a bunch of talent out there. Dan knows the business of branding better than anyone I know and I'm pretty sure he has sign making roots too.

Biker Scout

Right on cue, the two exceptions who I was thinking of. Anyone else?

Look there's a reason behind the observation... and you have to go back to circa 1989 to understand why the industry has branched the way it has. I started out on Aldus Page Maker and Photoshop 2.0 during a time when Macromedia Freehand was the default go-to premium illustration and drawing tool, and Illustrator was a joke. But that's not the whole story.

VTSigns

I would add Neato to the list. I'm pretty certain he uses Corel. He can put out some really nice design/branding work as well.

Biker Scout

Who can honestly look at a sign, or a billboard or any kind of display presence and pretty much know what program they used? Certain design traits are sooo prevalent amongst certain types of designers, and that's partially because of the truncated tools they are working with. Even how the programs handle colors is sometimes obvious.

But the good designers are the ones where you can't make out those subtle (and sometimes obvious) distinctions. And they have been mentioned.

But let's refer back to the OP's three logo examples... I would eat my hat if he said he made them in Illustrator. Impossible. Those have Corel written all over them.

Oh and Dan... you also revealed another trait that just begs to add fuel to this raging inferno... you were using a Mac. Even if it is Freehand or whatever, things are just smoother, more fluid, color representation is accurate, anti-aliasing is king, post script printer language... they were made for pre-press production and desktop publishing. Period. You can't buy a Dell and expect to use it to be a designer right out of the box. They need way too much tweaking, from color calibration to graphics cards.

Joe Diaz

Right on cue, the two exceptions who I was thinking of. Anyone else?
I'll tell you what, instead of making a list for you of folks using something besides the "industry standard" or who are in the sign industry or have started out in the sign industry, I think you should do yourself a favor and head on out to the next sign meet, panel jam, Letterhead or Walldog event. You will quickly find the people you are looking for.

Who can honestly look at a sign, or a billboard or any kind of display presence and pretty much know what program they used? Certain design traits are sooo prevalent amongst certain types of designers, and that's partially because of the truncated tools they are working with. Even how the programs handle colors is sometimes obvious.
Tell me then, since you have it all figured out, with out doing any research, at first glance which software do you think this designer uses? http://www.logomotive.net/portfolio/

How about him? http://originaledesigns.com/

or him? http://www.signamigo.com/

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

But the good designers are the ones where you can't make out those subtle (and sometimes obvious) distinctions. And they have been mentioned.

But let's refer back to the OP's three logo examples... I would eat my hat if he said he made them in Illustrator. Impossible. Those have Corel written all over them.

Oh and Dan... you also revealed another trait that just begs to add fuel to this raging inferno... you were using a Mac. Even if it is Freehand or whatever, things are just smoother, more fluid, color representation is accurate, anti-aliasing is king, post script printer language... they were made for pre-press production and desktop publishing. Period. You can't buy a Dell and expect to use it to be a designer right out of the box. They need way too much tweaking, from color calibration to graphics cards.
Biker you are really stepping in it, just like when you suggested a heavy thick laminate on long term banners that needed to be stored between events........

wayne k
guam usa

Biker Scout

I've been to a Letterhead. Very cool group of guys. But they all seem to have a similar style to each other. Just varying focus on their own personalities that show up through their designs.

OK, the challenge:

I'm not even going to comment on logomotive, because they are just simple vector shapes that could easily be made in any vector program. Even Inkscape.

The original designs ones are neat. But looks like the guy owns every sign font from Steve and Letterhead and is going to use them all. His style, and it's cool. But there are definitely some tale tell signs of Corel for sure. Especially in the heavy usage of RGB color fills and certain outline characteristics.

The signamigo ones are probably the most well rounded. But when seen all together you can pick out the Corel nuances, that are just otherwise a pain in the but to try to reproduce in Illustrator without some trickery. The drops fills and fades are one click in Corel.

Joe Diaz

I've been to a Letterhead. Very cool group of guys. But they all seem to have a similar style to each other.
Now I know you have no clue what you are talking about. That or you are just a troll.

The original designs ones are neat. But looks like the guy owns every sign font from Steve and Letterhead and is going to use them all. His style, and it's cool. But there are definitely some tale tell signs of Corel for sure. Especially in the heavy usage of RGB color fills and certain outline characteristics.
Wrong! not a Corel user.:Big Laugh but an amazing adobe illustrator designer and a hell of a nice guy.

they are just simple vector shapes
simple vector shapes? The guy does amazing work and he uses CorelDRAW.