• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New logo

GoodPeopleFlags

The main problem I see is that I don't know what you do based on the name. Clever name but not descriptive. The shield ideas make me think of a security system business (and not a good one with the name "thin skin"). If you're stuck on that name, you need to have an image that protrays what you do. I like the idea of a Deaton-designed cartoony car that's wrapped. Then put less emphasis on the name and more on what you do.

stoneandtle

The main problem I see is that I don't know what you do based on the name. Clever name but not descriptive. The shield ideas make me think of a security system business (and not a good one with the name "thin skin"). If you're stuck on that name, you need to have an image that protrays what you do. I like the idea of a Deaton-designed cartoony car that's wrapped. Then put less emphasis on the name and more on what you do.

I read those books that were suggested to me about designing logos, and I have to agree with you - you won't know what I do based on the name - it'll have to be spelled out somewhere else. But that's not much different than a lot of companies out there: Sony, Integra, Scientific Atlanta, Samsung - you have no idea what these names represent until after they've been branded and associated with what they represent.

I'm 50/50 on the shield...I've seen that used with a couple other companies that have "armor" in their name. Although I like some of the shield design suggestions offered in this thread. I also like the logo where the car outline is above the name, but that one just looks too much like a car cover to me.

I agree with you on where the emphasis should be placed, I'll come up with some more options later today.

Thanks everyone for your input!

stoneandtle

As banner ads for a website or in print I see these have potential. As a logo. Not so good. Don't ditch these though toss them into a folder. They may come in handy later.

Now what Jill is going with has some potential work from that. Her design is simple and clean.

Valid point...thanks.

Marlene

how will this logo be used? if pretty much on the web, people who want what you do have found you so supporting the name with subtext and images isn't as important as if you used this for a sign. the shield isn't all that bad of an idea as most do think protection of some kind. once you put that idea of protectin out there, you will need to make it clear what you protect. the image of a car works as it is quick and a clear way to say "this has to do with cars" without all the extra copy. the thin armor is what needs to be defined and the subtext can take care of that. before going to the computer to design a logo, make a list of what the logo is required to do. write a list and then refer back to it to see if you have acomplished the requirements.

GypsyGraphics

LOSE THE CAR!
for the logo anyway.

i hate it when client have their mind set on having an oh-so expected image in their logo... it's so often a mistake.

back when business was better i turn down jobs like a dentist who insisted on having a toothbrush in his logo.

had a client last year who came in to see there first round of preliminary designs for an upscale dog boarding service... first thing they said was "we can't wait to see what kind of dog used in our logo."

i said "i hate to break it to you, but.... "there is no doG."
(that would have been funnier if they knew i was dyslexics)

that logo won several awards without the help of doG.

Flame

Sony, Integra, Scientific Atlanta, Samsung - you have no idea what these names represent until after they've been branded and associated with what they represent

Small business logos and corporate logos....two different worlds man. These guys spend more on buying their employees coffee every day then you will on your yearly advertising budget.

SignManiac

The obvious, but not necessarily with Armor in the name... One of many possible directions.

Attachments

• thinskin2.jpg
    thinskin2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 95

jwmedia

Here's a Tip:

When designing a logo, always do so in a way that would look good in 1 color as well. Keep them simple and to the point. Look at some of the most famous logos in the world: the Golden Arches, Nike, etc. They are VERY SIMPLE and look good in black and white as well as in color.

TheSellOut

Couple more ideas...I like the idea of the shield but I would also think about other things that come to when when thinking protection, tough skin, armor...such as a tank or an amadillo or a bullet proof vest or...

Attachments

• aRMOR.jpg
    aRMOR.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 96

ForgeInc

I also think many people oftentimes overthink their logo and try to tell too much with what should be a very simple mark and brand. Remember, your logo will almost always be used with other collateral materials or graphics, it's rarely on it's own. On a sign or card, there will most likely be more information such as contact info, etc. You could quickly explain more there with a few bullets or other content. On a website, people have already found you, no need to say "certified installers" or other extraneous info in your logo. Keep it simple. Use your other identity elements to fully tell your story in detail.