• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

should I come back after lunch?

iSign

Still think interest free loan of two weeks pay gives them the buffer with you, to mismanage and be slackers... and gives you chance to retain dignity, and a job

earplug

If they are not able to make payroll it is a sure bet they are not paying the payroll TAXES either. Not paying the taxes will soon get a padlock on the door.

Jack

HulkSmash

Keep in mind, they're not just messing with you, but with your family. Think carefully about your next move. I'd put out resumes, Find a job, put in my 2 weeks.

genericname

Keep in mind, they're not just messing with you, but with your family. Think carefully about your next move. I'd put out resumes, Find a job, put in my 2 weeks.

I'll back you up on that. Though messing with me is one thing. Last time someone messed with my family, I was on the phone on Wednesday, had an interview and was hired on Thursday, and gave my 2 hours notice on Friday.

iSign

Last time someone messed with my family,...

...gave my 2 hours notice on Friday.

wow... some serious badass testosterone here.... been late, inefficient, hung over and/or sick (at the beach) countless times... while this lazy scum employer has kept up his end in helping me feed my family for who knows how long... BUT, now he's being late... I think take my irreplaceable ass out of the equation with 2 short hours notice...

"irreplaceable ass" my ass hahahahaha "good riddance!" he probably said!

genericname

I'd agree were it an isolated incident, but the OP already stated that this is a regular occurrence. If you can't run a shop straight, that is to say, pay the workers that keep you alive, you don't deserve to run the shop, and you don't deserve those workers.

I don't fly off the handle and randomly quit things. When I made my decision to leave the place mentioned in the previous example, it was only after months of disrespect, mental abuse, and financial loss on my part.

I don't believe in burning bridges. When your employer is the troll under that bridge though, never looking back is a healthy enough attitude. Life's too short to worry about garbage like that when you have to put food on the table.

signswi

Check your state labor laws, continue working as normal. You're well protected by law on this front it just depends on the state for specifics. Bring the appropriate arm of the law into the mix if the owner doesn't correct the situation ASAP.

charleskowen

A company did this to me for a while but I didn't leave because I enjoyed the work and I liked the people that I worked with and for. I failed to realize that it was a sign of trouble and the company went out of business a few months after the first time they didn't pay me on time.

I would apply elsewhere and leave.

anotherdog

:popcorn: Sometimes this forum is like a western saloon on payday. Someone yells fight and its on!

If you aren't getting paid regularly what you are due, if you don't like the coffee or the quality of the toilet paper...walk or at least look around.

If you can't find anything else then it's time to decide what your limits really are. There is plenty of law to back you up...but once you pull the law on your employer you may as well be quitting anyway. They will either get rid of you, make life hell or fold the company because they are out of money.

The last alternative is to start up your own sign shop just like a million ex-employees have done in this business.

Craig Sjoquist

I also wonder what happened. ??
Hope he left.
Here in Orlando there is 10 outfits a week looking for some sort of graphic designer and that is just a low guess, and there is at least 4 schools here teaching graphics well, main one is Full Sail University.

genericname

I also wonder what happened. ??
Hope he left.
Here in Orlando there is 10 outfits a week looking for some sort of graphic designer and that is just a low guess, and there is at least 4 schools here teaching graphics well, main one is Full Sail University.

If you graduate from Full Sail and then go to work in a sign shop, you've already given up.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I wouldn't say that genericname ... I went to UCF, fullsail was always an option but the $32k for 2 years of school was a little insane. With that much cash invested in such specific schooling, sign shops are the only ones paying enough to cover loans.

That and it's better than being a barista.

ucmj22

I'm still there. payday has still been late from time to time, I expect it to get worse next month when their travel season starts again. Ive increased my freelance work (this kinda pisses them off), and I've been trying to talk my way in to another (better) sign shop that has an actual signmaker as an owner, for the last 3 months. he was a little scared to take on another full timer the way the economy was, but business is getting better around here, so we'll see.

SD&F

I have had challenges in the past and I would not pay myself before withholding an employees check. I have a tight group here and I can tell you that they may love me, but they are not gonna stick around without money to live on.

ova

I think I figured out your problem. Check out your Thread about repoing a wrap.

No money in = no money to take home.

Maybe a better business/billing plan should be put into effect.

Dave