• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So...I want to start a yard sign business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedsterbeast

Sorry for all of the non-constructive negativity around here.
I think the biggest concern about starting a sign business should be how jadded and negative you may become. Some people here think they have more of a right to use internet forums than others- forgetting that they once had a first post. They talk about how difficult the business is but they have time to post condescending rants that offer no help to the information you requested instead of moving past your post. Your questions seem like a natural progesssion in the thought process of what equipement you would need to start in order to come up with a plan. Your questions, however, were answered so I guess you got what you needed... with a little extra.
I lost my father and best friend last June at 66 years old. Through all of the sorrow that I have conceded that I will never get over, a wonderful thing happened to me. I realized there is nothing to fear in this world in regards to failure NOTHING. I wish he was here to see how he inspired me to start my sign business.
Good luck with your path no matter which you choose.

Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is? ~Frank Scully

OldPaint

adtecia, I KNOW FLORIDA...lived in SARASOTA from 1981-1998, and PENSACOLA from 98 to now. REAL ESTATE AGENTS only do business with the CHEAPEST SIGNS they can get made and some even wont pay. i have never in all those years met a REAL ESTATE agent/broker, that didnt tell me they knew somebody WHO WOULD DO THE SAME SIGNS FOR WAY LESS THEN ME!!!!!! so depending on that market, your in for a lot of sorrow. most of the real estate signs are made by the same people who do POLITICAL SIGNS. as for yard signs i can buy them SILK SCREENED for way less then i could make em with a plotter/vinyl.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
To further my statement in the post above, I think we'd all like to see him succed in some way, shape or form...instead of standing in the welfare line.

JB

10sacer

If I am not mistaken... everybody here was a newbie at some point... right?

Good luck in your endeavors....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:thread Sorry to the OP for this side-tracking, but..........

ADDIE.... you're a real piece of work. You're gonna tell someone like Marlene to go pound sand because of your knowledge and experience in ANYTHING ?? :ROFLMAO:
You've got nothing anyone wants, let alone advice to a newbie.

Sure, this guy is going about it all wrong, but that shouldn't stop him from trying. If he wants to waste time and money, so be it. By now, if he's still listening or checking in, he's gonna see that for the most part, he's trying a very difficult task. Some of you seem to be condemning the other people telling the OP the truth. It's gonna be real hard for him, but if he has determination and unlimited funds, he might pull through.

After being here for some years and just in life in general, one must learn to take all information and pull from it what you need.... no matter how mean or rough it may sound, there is still truth in there. Truth and knowledge are not always obtained through niceness and generosity. One must earn it, learn and then make it their own. This usually takes years and in some cases decades. However, with a sight like this, you can cut years off of that by asking questions, no matter how dumb they are or sound.

Many here, including myself, like to hear questions asked with a certain amount of understanding of the industry language in mind, but for the professionals here, we should be able to see through some poorly worded questions and get the right feel for the person asking. Following proper protocol isn't a requirement, but it certainly is nice. Once someone figures out how the grumps and gripers want it.... they mostly come around and fit in. For those, like Addie, some never will fit in, regardless of how they try, back-pedal or lie.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Not everyone buys a cutter and software and starts making signs... but in a poll done quite a while back, most do.

I did answer his question while giving him advice. Cut vinyl is a good way to get into this slowly, but offering yard sale signs is not the way...

A lot of these newbie post really start with "I'm not going to start making signs, I just thought I would start making stickers" post are lame anyways. I would rather hear them say I have been interested in graphic design for quite a while and thought this was a good way to break into it and want to learn how to make signs.

To all the fresh members here... we are not a newbie site. We have a newbie area, but craftsmen are here to throw in their 2 cents. There is a newbie site where everything if rainbows and unicorns... but your skills will only go so far with people telling you that you are doing great when in actuality you probably suck. I would take harsh criticism from a craftsmen, than praise from an idiot any day.

Yard sale signs are not usually profitable, you can do a lot more. But without knowing your skills, there is squat anyone can say till you reveal a little more about yourself.

GoodPeopleFlags

Yes, yes I was... when I learned how to make signs while working in a sign shop. Trying to start a business in something you know nothing about is just stupid. I don't care how many people say that's how they did it and succeeded, I would bet that success would've come alot sooner, easier and more abundant if those people had experience first.

I think this whole thread was started as a joke. I don't believe the OP is real and someone posted this just to get a rise out of everyone.

Locals Find!

To the OP, I'd recommend doing the EXACT OPPOSITE of what Addie has done.

Based on what?? The fact that I am feeding, housing, and supporting a family of 5 off my endeavors??

I am far from the most successful person on this site, but my kids have good clothes, shoes, and a roof over their head.

So, if the OP followed your advice he would be homeless, hungry, and naked. Wow! thats some Gold Right there!:ROFLMAO:

charissabuskirk

Then go hire a couple of our South of the border brethren for labor and get to work. You will make more with less investment and hardly any learning curve.

:banghead: really? really?

so many things to say and yet...

what makes you think this profession is any easier to acclimate to? and THAT's the ticket. Use slave labor to keep your costs low while passing up on Joe Smith next door who's fresh out of college, can't find a job and will probably think about starting his own sign/landscape business.

:wavingflag:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Addie must have me on the 'Ignore' button. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Fanaticus

Or they had the money to start with properly. Or they worked in a sign shop BEFORE deciding they wanted to own one. Or it was a business handed down to them from someone. Or they've been in it so long they detest the idea of someone new coming into it.

Also remember that designers (aka, artists) are known to be very critical of everybody else and often time will have nothing positive to say about anybody. Because only they can be perfect and do what they do as perfectly as they do, so why should anybody else even bother trying?

Locals Find!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Addie must have me on the 'Ignore' button. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No, Gino. I don't have you on ignore. I just choose not to respond to your childish whining. If I want to hear childish whining. I got 3 kids at home I can toss a single cereal box prize too and get my fill.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, Gino. I don't have you on ignore. I just choose not to respond to your childish whining. If I want to hear childish whining. I got 3 kids at home I can toss a single cereal box prize too and get my fill.

Oh, now you have me upset:frustrated:. Your resorting to ad hominems towards me makes me feel uneasy and I'm beginning to think you know rand...........
Can you put me on ignore ?? :rolleyes:

HulkSmash

Oh, now you have me upset:frustrated:. Your resorting to ad hominems towards me makes me feel uneasy and I'm beginning to think you know rand...........
Can you put me on ignore ?? :rolleyes:

Something tells me this forum wouldn't be as fun if this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.