• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So...I want to start a yard sign business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myte

If I listened to everybody who told me I wouldn't be able to do what I do today I'd still be working in a hot sweaty factory for near minimum wage.

Almost everybody rolled their eyes at me and cracked jokes behind my back.

Now, 6 years later, they ask me how I did it.

Lots and lots and determination. Lots of trial and error. Lots of sacrifice of the things I'd rather be doing (fishing, traveling, going out with friends...) in order to learn and become proficient at what I do.

You gotta start somewhere. It's not like he's saying he's going to become the next top sign designer.... he wants to start with yard signs. It's a starting point. He knows he's not going to get rich doing it. He knows it's the bottom of the barrel.

No offense to some of the people here, but several of you don't even do your own designs, printing, or fabrication... you outsource it all and the customer pays the price for your "knowledge and skill".

You gotta start somewhere. An idea seems like a good start to me. The rest will follow if it's meant to be.
:goodpost: signs sthat one.. Thank you.

FrankenSigns.biz

I say "go for it". Failure is only failure if you fail to learn something, and if you really have the entrepreneurial spirit, it will only be a stepping stone to something more suited to your personality.

I used to scoff at a friend who was the epitome of all "serial entrepreneurs". After numerous businesses and even more false starts, he finally settled into his niche and is now a very successful business owner.

The lesson: find a need, do your homework (business smarts), stay focused and hang tough. It will be the hardest job you've ever loved and hated at the same time.

And if you need further validation, I'm now in year #6 since I started a business in a hotbed of local competition...and with a close pricing structure to boot. It's not easy, but it can be done.

JB

Even though I think this thread may well be a prank, James Burke proves himself once again, a scholar and a gentleman. Jame's advice is what one should expect in a forum such as this.

Sticker Dude

:popcorn:
well I guess screen printing is out of the question because there is a min on signs
I think he wants to spent less than a $1000 and make $10k :banghead:
good luck
I know 3 sign companies in my town closing up the end of Oct and 1 of those companies will be doing it out of their home for extra income (retiring)
No money in sign business Vehicle wraps or Yard signs

Sticker Dude

Actually I say do it and do it Big get the cutter, vinyl, tape, yard signs. make yourself a table and a jig because I think you might make it Big, You are going to have a lot of business more than you can handle, you might have to hire help Just get a rhythm and keep on trucking
price them good like $2-$5 so you can make a good profit
also make sure you use the best vinyl like 3m so they last longer so the customers dont have to come back for more right away

Jillbeans

price them good like $2-$5 so you can make a good profit
also make sure you use the best vinyl like 3m so they last longer so the customers dont have to come back for more right away
You're kidding, right?

natedawg9640

:popcorn:
well I guess screen printing is out of the question because there is a min on signs
I think he wants to spent less than a $1000 and make $10k :banghead:
good luck
I know 3 sign companies in my town closing up the end of Oct and 1 of those companies will be doing it out of their home for extra income (retiring)
No money in sign business Vehicle wraps or Yard signs

that's not entirely true. ive been in business 3 years and since three years ago i've expanded 11X the size. That sounds more impressive than it is, but it's a good pace for what it is.

10sacer

I have been in business just over a year now (well, owning my own place - been in the business for over 20) - we were selected one of Top 50 Shops in the country by Wide Format Imaging magazine this year and it has been alot of long hours and hard work - but if you have a sound business plan and the financial means to get into it correctly and a cash reserve to wait out the slow paying customers - then you have a shot at success. I have to believe that the guys that are closing shop were lacking one of these major components to starting a business and it caught up with them. I got in to this with a mind for quality, diversification and quick turnaround and paid cash for everything we have. We don't really do anything different than anybody else in town with the same equipment - we just do it a little quicker and with a mind for color accuracy and detail. We don't do yard signs or alot of banners or car wraps, but if thats all you know or understand then go be the best at it that you can be and market yourself like crazy.

Marlene

I'll give you a hint post # 40 that ended with

So why don't you go stuff it Marlene and give out decent advice rather than just your opinion based on No knowledge of our State or Market, because like it or not kids like this are coming up and are going to take over one day. Whether they are going to be good or bad to the industry depends on people teaching them the ropes.

:Big Laugh I almost cried over that beat down...not

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't there a book once written about...... How to Win Friends and Keep Them or sometun' another ??

Next, they'll write a song about this place......One-Oh-One (Is the Loneliest Number) that Addie Will Ever Know..............​

Yeah, has a kinda ring to it..... I can hear the melody coming in now, too. :rolleyes:

Marlene

hey Gino, remember when I bitched you out way back when for being mean to addie when he was our band new newbie? I came over to the darkside pretty fast didn't I!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
hey Gino, remember when I bitched you out way back when for being mean to addie when he was our band new newbie? I came over to the darkside pretty fast didn't I!

How to Win Friends and Influence People

Marlene, some things are a constant. It's up to the individual if he/she wants it to be a nice experience or a bad one. In this case.... it almost always turns sour.

WildWest.... you write your book and I'll write mine. :rock-n-roll:
I took poetic license to make it fit the occasion.................:ROFLMAO: No foul :peace!:

SignManiac

All I have to say is you can't fake it till you make it around here. BS rises to the top like fresh cream, only it has an off smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.