• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thanks a LOT,,NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
seriously, did anyone think there was a chance in hell that a thread titled palm sunday was going to survive????

if there is anyone to blame, it's OP

are we happy he's alive? sure, but there are rules that are clearly stated, and bringing any religious topic into a thread is going to cause chaos, which will then be deleted, surprising no one.....

Marlene

if there is anyone to blame, it's OP

are we happy he's alive? sure, but there are rules that are clearly stated, and bringing any religious topic into a thread is going to cause chaos, which will then be deleted, surprising no one.....

there is one great big difference between someone sharing with his sign101 friends something from the heart and some pretty deep feelings and someone posting a thread with a religious topic just for the hell of it. blame OP? WTF, thank you OP for sharing something very personal with us. end of story and this one had a happy ending for once.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
blame OP? WTF

the topic of this thread is a sarcastic thanks to those who got this thread deleted. IMHO the thanks should go to the person who deserves it, the one who posted a thread that dealt with religion.

Pat Whatley

Didn't actually read that thread but after reading this one I'm willing to bet I can name the four main paticipants....again.

Locals Find!

the topic of this thread is a sarcastic thanks to those who got this thread deleted. IMHO the thanks should go to the person who deserves it, the one who posted a thread that dealt with religion.

The thread nor, OPs original post didn't deal with religion. Others who believed it did and took offense to what they perceived to be a post about religion are the ones who got it locked down. They continued against many other members (myself included) asking them to tone it down, walk away, and show OP some basic human dignity and respect that he deserved. Instead they continued on their rants and ravings of forcing their unwanted opinions on others.

What could have been simple "way to go OP thread" turned into a friggin shat storm of intolerance, prejudice, & arrogance from both sides of the aisle.

Marlene

it sounds like you only see a rule and hence nothing else matters. yes OP brought up Palm Sunday but only to share with us just what it means to him. no matter what your view is on Palm Sunday or anything else to do with religion, this was a thread where a member was sharing something with us that means so much to him. there's a time and place to pull out the rule book but not for something like this. this was a deeply personal thing for OP and I am glad that he felt he could share this with us and not have all this crap go down because of it. he wasn't trying to push the rules or get away with something. see it for what it was and be happy for him. what in the world is wrong with that? we don't need to talk about the pros and cons of religion, belief or anything of that as this wasn't a thread to talk about such things and I really believe OP never intended it to be a thread to discuss religion. why is it so hard to just be happy for another human being even if the reason they are are happy isn't something we personally believe in?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
it sounds like you only see a rule and hence nothing else matters. yes OP brought up Palm Sunday but only to share with us just what it means to him. no matter what your view is on Palm Sunday or anything else to do with religion, this was a thread where a member was sharing something with us that means so much to him. there's a time and place to pull out the rule book but not for something like this. this was a deeply personal thing for OP and I am glad that he felt he could share this with us and not have all this crap go down because of it. he wasn't trying to push the rules or get away with something. see it for what it was and be happy for him. what in the world is wrong with that? we don't need to talk about the pros and cons of religion, belief or anything of that as this wasn't a thread to talk about such things and I really believe OP never intended it to be a thread to discuss religion. why is it so hard to just be happy for another human being even if the reason they are are happy isn't something we personally believe in?

:thumb:

Colin

...why is it so hard to just be happy for another human being even if the reason they are are happy isn't something we personally believe in?

As stated, we are all happy for OP, and I for one wish him many more years of life and health. But he didn't just state that "it's been a year now and it's good to be alive", he said:

"...and at 4:17 pm I was DEAD. Easter Sunday I woke from a 6 day coma. Being that palm Sunday, good Friday & Easter change year to year, and these are now personally important days in my now life, I cant ever see easter as just another holiday period. I got the message."

And if the thread was still up, I would encourage all of you to go look at the reality of the situation; bob and I made what amounts to a one-liner reply, and were happy to leave it at that, but no, it's the reaction of others who are guilty of throwing fuel on the fire. They are the ones who can't tolerate even the slightest voice of reason and rationality. Does your face really need to turn purple because someone else actually thinks? Neither bob, Randy or I had or have any intent on upsetting anyone, especially OP, but when a person makes an assertion of the supernatural, a sober one-line reply is not rude or hostile.

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. (Bertrand Russell)

ddarlak

Go Bills!
it sounds like you only see a rule and hence nothing else matters.

hmmmmm...... isn't that what a rule is? if they are all up for personal interpetation, then we would live in bob-land, a perfect world....

we don't, therefore we have rules, therefore we follow them or suffer the travesty of having an internet forum thread deleted

Deaton Design

Didn't actually read that thread but after reading this one I'm willing to bet I can name the four main paticipants....again.

I agree Pat. You have to be careful of what you post on here nowadays. YOu might just ask a simple question about printing, etc. and it gets turned into something entirely else due to someone being a smarta** and wanting to stir the pot.

HulkSmash

And if the thread was still up, I would encourage all of you to go look at the reality of the situation; bob and I made what amounts to a one-liner reply, and were happy to leave it at that, but no, it's the reaction of others who are guilty of throwing fuel on the fire. They are the ones who can't tolerate even the slightest voice of reason and rationality. Does your face really need to turn purple because someone else actually thinks? Neither bob, Randy or I had or have any intent on upsetting anyone, especially OP, but when a person makes an assertion of the supernatural, a sober one-line reply is not rude or hostile.

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence. (Bertrand Russell)

Why can't you just resist? Say, not going to ruin this guys praise thread? Are you that insensitive. You of all people know what you and bob say about those type of topics are going to start a fire. Just don't do it. If you have a hard time resisting i feel really bad for you. Almost sad.

Colin

Why can't you just resist? Say, not going to ruin this guys praise thread? Are you that insensitive. You of all people know what you and bob say about those type of topics are going to start a fire. Just don't do it. If you have a hard time resisting i feel really bad for you. Almost sad.

First you need to display how such benign, unhostile words of reason are so incredibly damaging to a grown adult man as OP.

Perhaps you should suggest to Fred that the rules of your one-way street ought to be: "No discussion of religion, but if it is brought up, nobody may comment."

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life except religion. Why are we praised by godly men for surrendering our “godly gift” of reason when we cross their mental thresholds? (Christopher Hitchens)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
When this post was first put up I read it along with the first few replies and decided it was okay up to that point. When I returned last night I found that the usual suspects had hijacked the thread into a barely related religious debate. My choice was to read every post, selectively deleting the posts that were a problem, or to just delete the entire thread. Not having an hour to give to the project, my choice was to delete the thread.

To those of you who read or posted in the thread and are now bemoaning the fact that I deleted it:

• At any time, any of you could have clicked on the Report a Post button and I would have been able to selectively remove posts that were over the line. None of you did so.
  • At any time, any of you could have posted your objection or concern that such posts would get the thread removed. To the best of my knowledge, none of you did.
To the many of you that care about how well Signs 101 runs, I submit that a large part of that is best handled by individual members being actively involved in providing actions to correct a problem when it occurs.

HulkSmash

First you need to display how such benign, unhostile words of reason are so incredibly damaging to a grown adult man as OP.

Perhaps you should suggest to Fred that the rules of your one-way street ought to be: "No discussion of religion, but if it is brought up, nobody may comment."

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life except religion. Why are we praised by godly men for surrendering our “godly gift” of reason when we cross their mental thresholds? (Christopher Hitchens)

perhaps you can mind your own business and just not worry about what others say?
So you're saying you have no self control, you need to play teacher, and cause a stir? Fine. No problem...

Last edited:

tsgstl

And if the thread was still up, I would encourage all of you to go look at the reality of the situation; bob and I made what amounts to a one-liner reply, and were happy to leave it at that, but no, it's the reaction of others who are guilty of throwing fuel on the fire

ummmmm you said
"OP survived for one reason and one reason only; the hard work of the medical field (science, doctors, surgeons, etc). It's insulting to all those people who work unbelievably hard to get to be doctors & surgeons, and when they save a person's life, all the mindless, religiously hypnotized people can regurgitate is "Yay.....god did it!".

smells of fuel to me.
The thread was still up on my browser.
I heard a lot of talk about "if its in my face I will respond"
If there was a thread in here about Dinosaurs or Stars I seriously doubt any "believers" would come crashing the party.
OP did not knock on your door preaching the gospel. It was pretty clear by his title what was inside after you clicked it.
And Doctors and Surgeons are selfless for the most part, it's laughable to think they would be INSULTED by anything he said.

Joe Diaz

It's all about picking your battles and knowing when the appropriate time is to do so. I personally believe that OP's post was not the time or place to pick that type of battle, especially since nothing positive was going to result from telling a guy who honestly believes that something spiritual intervened during such a pivotal time of his life.

You aren't going to convince someone that has gone through that to think otherwise. And I doubt, based on what I've seen posted by those who opposed OP's belief, that anyone here can convince those folks that a higher power does exist and played a role in OP's recovery. But perhaps we can all convince each other that it's not worthwhile for use to fight about it on a sign forum. Just be happy the guy is alive and leave it at that. Done deal. Move on.

TwoNine

^^^ This guy missed the boat and the thread. Sounds like I'm glad I did.....Whew! Anyway, if it is your birthday Old Paint - Happy Birthday.

-Chad

Colin

Coloradosigns said:
perhaps you can mind your own business and just not worry about what others say?

On a public forum, everything posted is anyone’s business. You’re asking for special privileges again. If I started a thread where I proclaimed that crystals healed my cat’s broken leg, would you feel that: “whoa, this is none of my business”?

If you don't like it - leave it.

So basically you feel that a free & open exchange of thoughts & ideas ought to be muzzled. Is that right?

Is your life that boring that you need to play teacher, and cause a stir?

As I just mentioned, the “stir” was really caused by the reaction of those who can’t tolerate having their delicate assertions questioned.

HulkSmash

On a public forum, everything posted is anyone’s business. You’re asking for special privileges again. If I started a thread where I proclaimed that crystals healed my cat’s broken leg, would you feel that: “whoa, this is none of my business”?

So basically you feel that a free & open exchange of thoughts & ideas ought to be muzzled. Is that right?

As I just mentioned, the “stir” was really caused by the reaction of those who can’t tolerate having their delicate assertions questioned.

No Colin, you're just exhibiting that you have 0 self control, and no respect for others. That's all. As Joe said, not the time nor place on that specific thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.