• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking about going to the apple side

Techman

How does it have nothing to do with the hardware? Sure they speak in machine code... but when every Apple circuit board is designed to just work, that's innovation. If a circuit board is ugly, Apple throws it out. Not because it will ever be seen, just because it makes it quality.

Apple was designed for all of it's hardware to work together, it always has... and always will.

It's not a MYTH that a Mac is different, it's the truth. The experience of one versus a normal PC is phenomenal.

A circuit board looking good has nothing to do with how it runs. Looking good is merely part of the mystic of good. Looking good just makes it "feel" good. That is an emotional response. Look at the back of my old XP systems and one will see wires all over the place. Look at the back of my latest I7 system and one will see a power cord and an Ethernet cord. That is it. To me that is beautiful. Does that make the system any better?

That is all an emotional response. It's the same for some men who prefer brunets verses a blond. The difference between the two is phenomenal.

The day we all know the difference between a JNX and a JMP call function then users will understand just how much alike the two systems really are. Until then every MAC fanboy will enjoy the fairy tale about superiority of a MAC between the two systems.

David Wright

Sometimes, there is more to the "experience" than hardware and software. Sometimes, it is a matter of pride, status, or nostalgia. There is a lot to this and Apple markets the "feeling" of their products. I owned an iPhone once and I saw the "pride" other iPhone owners had in their phone. It was significant.

After a while, I realized that the "feelings" I had over my phone were silly and I made a more intelligent choice (in my opinion) by choosing a device with superior hardware and capabilities. But again, it was a personal choice. My phone is no longer a status symbol for me, but rather a quite capable smartphone that no one notices. I quietly use my phone to do all the things that I need it to do and that is how I would prefer it.

This is very similar to the Mac vs PC debate. It is very personal in many aspects. You can see this in the way it becomes heated almost every time it is discussed. It becomes heated because many of the reasons we choose one over the other are illogical and emotional. There is a certain amount of pride there. In my opinion, this is OK. You should be happy with the tools you use. But as a businessman, I understand that emotional buys are often not practical and often regretted.

As long as the OP understands the road ahead, it is his to travel. I can question his wisdom, but it is not my journey. Heck, I have been known to do things for the sole purpose of experiencing something new. Who hasn't? But looking back, I can say that things I did were not always wise.

Well said again Casey.

Techman

BTW many PC related magazines and websites are actually designed on a Mac. Ironic isn't it?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA. Im goona die from laughing. AHAHAHAHAHHA. Many ??? AHAAHAHAHAHah What is the definition of "many"?

Dentafrice

A circuit board looking good has nothing to do with how it runs. Looking good is merely part of the mystic of good. Looking good just makes it "feel" good. That is an emotional response. Look at the back of my old XP systems and one will see wires all over the place. Look at the back of my latest I7 system and one will see a power cord and an Ethernet cord. That is it. To me that is beautiful. Does that make the system any better?

That is all an emotional response. It's the same for some men who prefer brunets verses a blond. The difference between the two is phenomenal.

The day we all know the difference between a JNX and a JMP call function then users will understand just how much alike the two systems really are. Until then every MAC fanboy will enjoy the fairy tale about superiority of a MAC between the two systems.
I've never heard of a JNX function call.. JNZ maybe.. never heard of a JNX.

SignBurst PCs

There are a lot of them.

Just a quick search on one website: here

I have really liked the 2711u and the 3011u. A decent video card should be able to handle that resolution.

Like I said, most anything that is available in a Mac is available for PC.

racershawn

it looks like the dell 27 " is about $1100 pluss a cpl hundred for a video card? and the base imac 27" is $1700 .... looks like you get an argubly better monitor and 27-inch: 2.7GHz
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB
for about $400 more $$$$$

ForgeInc

These arguments make me laugh, why even bother to try and persuade people from one side to the other, or argue over what is "better?"? Those who like PCs, stay with PCs. Those who like macs, stay with macs. Personally, I can't stand PCs and find the mac experience better and more reliable for many reasons. That, and it's all I've used for the last 20 years help form my opinion.

The OP asked for opinions on making a switch. I would offer, that in my experience, if you do more design or creative work, especially with other creatives you are better served to use a mac. I would also submit in my experience they are more reliable, and way easier to set up with other hardware or peripherals.

Will they both do the job? Yes. Are comparable macs more expensive? By far.

That said, I can honestly say from experience in the last 2 weeks mac displays are among the best in the business. I have personally tried saving costs and bought 2 different non-apple displays and am disappointed with both, one is a LACIE and is comparable in price to a mac display. It doesn't even come close to the range of color our other apple displays have. I can literally see the difference. Again, if you research you can most likely find a different high end display that will compare though.

Personally, I am also a design snob so I need products that look and act beautifully and am willing to pay more for it. Try opening up a mac case and seeing how much thought is put into the insides, even so far as to have beautifully designed parts diagrams, instructions etc...INSIDE the mac. I LOVE this attention to detail. Many others find this illogical and that's fine. To each their own.

To call the mac experience marketing hype is close minded and off the mark though. Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't make it so.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
it looks like the dell 27 " is about $1100 pluss a cpl hundred for a video card? and the base imac 27" is $1700 .... looks like you get an argubly better monitor and 27-inch: 2.7GHz
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1

Why do you say the IPS technology display found in a Mac is "arguably" better than the Dell IPS technology display (or any other IPS display, for that matter)? What is your basis for that statement?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Personally, I can't stand PCs and find the mac experience better and more reliable for many reasons. That, and it's all I've used for the last 20 years help form my opinion.

If you've only used Macs for the last twenty years, then how is it that you feel you have an opinion on PCs that is worth anything?

If your experience is only with Macs, then how in the world can you make any reasonable comparison?

Oh, and list some of your "many reasons", please.

WildWestDesigns

if you do more design or creative work, especially with other creatives you are better served to use a mac.

How so? I can't tell if I've gotten an adobe file from a PC or Mac with just opening up the file and doing what I need to do. About the only thing that I know that the adobe software would care about is if you try to open a CS5 file in something like Ai 8.

Unless there is something else that I'm missing.

SignBurst PCs

2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1

You do realize that the iMac is just a laptop with a larger screen, right? You cannot compare an iMac to a custom PC. While it does have an IPS display, it has laptop components and limitations. I would no more recommend an iMac for serious large format design than I would any laptop. The Mac Pro is the way to go if you want a truly capable and expandable Mac that can compare to a custom PC. You are not comparing the right apples to apples here.

Techman

It doesn't even come close to the range of color our other apple displays have. I can literally see the difference. Again, if you research you can most likely find a different high end display that will compare though.

A display will only show what is being sent to it.
What is sent to it is rendered by the video card.
All video cards used in a mac are the very same used in a PC.

A video display renders what is sent to it up to its ability as set by the specifications. Low end displays have lower resolutions. High end displays have resolutions up the maximum. Any one of these displays are available to any PC or MAC user.

There is no secret MAC display that uses secret technology available only to a MAC user.

See its all about assembled systems. Use a box store system against a high end MAC and of course there will be a difference.

Use a SignBurst high end system such as one built by Casey and I defy anyone to see the difference. Why? because there is no difference.

ForgeInc

If you've only used Macs for the last twenty years, then how is it that you feel you have an opinion on PCs that is worth anything?

If your experience is only with Macs, then how in the world can you make any reasonable comparison?

Resonable question. I use PCs off and on only when I have to, and you're right...my opinion on ease of use is probably based mostly on the fact that I know MAC os so much better. Would you agree that in the last 5-10 years windows OS has gotten much closer in overall feel to mac though?

Oh, and list some of your "many reasons", please.

I think I already did in my post. Here are some more...I have never gotten a virus in 20 years of using a mac computer, never. I don't even have to have virus software. Here's another...I have never had to bring in a mac for repair ever, and I have owned probably 10-12 different macs. Here's another...I find plugging in peripherals and setting up things such as wireless networks, etc to be completely seamless. Again, not much experience with PCS but have heard horror stories over the years from PC users of getting things all connected properly.

Like I said, this is my PERSONAL experience. Why argue with me over it? If you like PCS....fine! I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to buy a mac VS a PC, only listing my preferences.

ForgeInc

A display will only show what is being sent to it.
What is sent to it is rendered by the video card.
All video cards used in a mac are the very same used in a PC.

A video display renders what is sent to it up to its ability as set by the specifications. Low end displays have lower resolutions. High end displays have resolutions up the maximum. Any one of these displays are available to any PC or MAC user.

There is no secret MAC display that uses secret technology available only to a MAC user.

Never said there was, jeez. I only mentioned that in the last 3 weeks I have tried using other displays in order to save costs, and hooked them up to my SAME EXACT SYSTEM, and have seen the difference in color. The cheaper displays aren't in close to the amount of detail or color range, even though they have similar specs. Again, only offering my personal experience. I never suggested you can only use a mac display with a mac system.

ForgeInc

So, why did you follow this up with 3 paragraphs on why you think mac is better?

I don't think I was persuading. I think I mentioned in my post that the OP ASKED FOR ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS ON SWITCHING.

Pretty sure all I did was offer my personal opinion, no?