• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking about going to the apple side

Locals Find!

Mac vs. PC WHO REALLY CARES!!!! I see you guys going back and forth all the time.

If you like pretty overpriced computers get a Mac. If you want a computer that will drive you nuts with updates get Windows. If you want a stable system code your own UNIX based OS.

Otherwise your all just blowing a lot of hot air around.:supersmilie:

SignManiac

All of you are just wasting your breath on this debate. There's only one superior smart choice, and that is Atari...

iSign

Personally, I can't stand PCs and find the mac experience better and more reliable for many reasons. That, and it's all I've used for the last 20 years help form my opinion.

that's hilarious...

no wonder :covereyes:

Also, you have to be a little strong in intestinal fortitude department. The Mac haters are many, although now they hide their iphones while they ramble...

no... some of them write "sent from my iPhone" just to be transparent...
most of what you call "Mac Haters" are just fanboy haters!! none of us give a crap about how Macs work... of course they work... we just wish the fan boys would shut up and get back to work! :rock-n-roll:

ForgeInc

How so? I can't tell if I've gotten an adobe file from a PC or Mac with just opening up the file and doing what I need to do. About the only thing that I know that the adobe software would care about is if you try to open a CS5 file in something like Ai 8.

Unless there is something else that I'm missing.

I guess I am referring to the fact that since Apple started, they were heavily focused in the design world. Back in the day, you could only run Adobe on a mac. All the service bureaus and color houses required mac files and mac fonts. No argument here. this is FACT. So, a major portion of Apple's customer base were striving for consistent color, accurate color beginning with the end user ending up with final product. This coupled with the fact that almost any design shop has many thousands of fonts that most likely won't run on a PC without substantial effort was the basis for this statement.

All that said in a general sense, you are right though. These days pretty much anything you can do on a mac can be done on a PC. (not necessarily the case the other way around, a benefit of PCs.) Again, it all boils down to personal preference and I simply offered mine to the OP.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Never said there was, jeez. I only mentioned that in the last 3 weeks I have tried using other displays in order to save costs, and hooked them up to my SAME EXACT SYSTEM, and have seen the difference in color. The cheaper displays aren't in close to the amount of detail or color range, even though they have similar specs.

Are these other displays IPS technology? Or were they cheap TN technology?

When you say similar specs, which ones are you comparing?

I'm asking this as I simply would like to make sure we're comparing apples to apples, so to speak.

ForgeInc

Are these other displays IPS technology? Or were they cheap TN technology?

When you say similar specs, which ones are you comparing?

I'm asking this as I simply would like to make sure we're comparing apples to apples, so to speak.

Nah, this thread is tiresome. No point really. I went against my better judgement ever responding in the first place!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
These threads are always fun,
its like Democrats vs Republicans with a layer of nerd tech over the top.

wayne k
guam usa

I do prefer my Win7 machine over the latest Apple tech I own (Apple IIc) but I don't have deep emotional feelings for either......

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Nah, this thread is tiresome. No point really. I went against my better judgement ever responding in the first place!

Really? You're backing out now? I was looking forward to seeing what similar specs you were talking about...

In particular, I was wanting to know if you were comparing your Apple IPS display with other IPS displays...

Without knowing these things, any alleged comparison is useless and can be dismissed out of hand...

ForgeInc

Really? You're backing out now? I was looking forward to seeing what similar specs you were talking about...

In particular, I was wanting to know if you were comparing your Apple IPS display with other IPS displays...

Without knowing these things, any alleged comparison is useless and can be dismissed out of hand...

Oi Vey!

Really? Wanna keep it going? Ok...I'll bite...let's do it. It's a Lacie 324i vs 3 year old apple displays I handed down to our pre press operator. The lacie I'm using can't touch the sharpness of my old mac displays (at least, not on my system anyway.)

But now we have digressed into comparing displays when the OP simply wanted advice on potentially switching to a mac.

OG, let's try to agree on something. Isn't it pointless to continue this debate?

Mainframe

that's hilarious...

no wonder :covereyes:

no... some of them write "sent from my iPhone" just to be transparent...
most of what you call "Mac Haters" are just fanboy haters!! none of us give a crap about how Macs work... of course they work... we just wish the fan boys would shut up and get back to work! :rock-n-roll:

Hi doug, I wasn't taking you for a Mac hater, I was actually referring to my own brother, Dad and 3 other people in my family, and many more in my wife's family, I was warning the OP about just this thing, everyone hammering on and on about Macs, he asked my opinion and I gave it, and if you read ALL the replies in this post, you will see my advice about fortitude is immediately applied.

The OP was asking for a testimony from a Mac user who makes signs, and I gave it, I myself being a 265 pound boxer have no problem with intestinal fortitude, my size and skill set has kept me insulated from having to bear too much face to face scrutiny about my computer choice, but many have ay least let me know they are haters, and seems like they come out of the woodwork on here when someone wants to toot a Macs horn.

But I gotta admit some of the tooting is pretty over the top, for most of my years with macs, I have quietly enjoyed the run, but he asked & I spoke, and just wanted to clarify things with you. i consider you a pretty open minded, intellect and enjoy reading your posts (usually), I hope we all can remember the poster was asking for real world testimony and I guess to give it you have to be a "fanboy" I just have never had anyone call me that to my face, that said I am guessing if you walked into my shop tomorrow, I bet we would be fighting each other at lunch as to who is buying, I think after swapping all our stories about 60, 70 & 80's parties, motocross tales, years of sign job stories and not to mention lady tales, we would realize we have too much in common to even think about which code we bat around all day, am I right? :thumb:

racershawn

OK ... OK ... Thank you everyone... I did not expect such a stir...But you all have helped me come to a decision.......BRB...

Techman

Ever notice this.
These MAC PC threads are not really threads of debate. They are a series of posts countering the hype, misinformed, and otherwise irrational emotional responses.
However they are informative to those who have parachute minds. That is they only work when open.

No one really cares what machine any one uses. But some of us do mind the statements that are inconsistent with the facts made about a certain segment of the computing world.

CES020

If you've only used Macs for the last twenty years, then how is it that you feel you have an opinion on PCs that is worth anything?

If your experience is only with Macs, then how in the world can you make any reasonable comparison?

You mean like people that have never used a Mac or used a Mac in 1997 that say how crappy Mac's are? You mean like that? It goes both ways. You mean like people using Mac's with a 5 year old OS on them saying how bad they are? Like that? Yeah, I agree with you 100%.

racershawn

ok here it is....all done... all ordered about a week out..... after reading all this... playing with my friends iMac..checking out plenty of stuff.... and being a sted fast PC user i decided to transcend to the apple side. I truly see no comparison. from what i have seen apple is far and away a better product and admittedly more costly but I believe it will be an investment in my future. I will keep my PC close for awhile as i transcend....

iMac 27"
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB
2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

second thundrebolt 27"

apple tv for two TVs

1 year training

$4915

Dentafrice

Exact same package as mine minus 8 more GB of RAM and the SSD. I got mine yesterday and as smooth as can be.

Photoshop and Illustrator running side by side beautifully and sending it via network to my Graphtec.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Congrats and enjoy your new rig. Be prepared to hear from many how you overspent, but to each his own. When someone shows off their new Harley or other toy on here they don't berate but computers are another matter for some reason

If you upgraded memory through Apple you probably did spend too much but from the looks of your order I don't think saving money was the issue. Apple memory is overpriced

Techman

almost the very same setup as my I7 PC.
Minus 8 gigs ram.
Minus the apple stuff. minus the extra monitor

$827.00