• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking about going to the apple side

David Wright

iMac 27"
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB
2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

second thundrebolt 27"

apple tv for two TVs

1 year training

oh wow, is this right?
$4915

signmeup

I'm curious as to what one does with a 5 thousand dollar computer. It must do some mind blowing stuff! (Mine was $500)

So like.... what does it do anyway?

signmeup

What is the difference between an AMD 3.1gh quad core and an i7 3.4 quad core? (besides .2gh) Do they both make roughly the same number of ones and zeros? I'm confused by the "i" core designations. It used to be that they gave processors bigger numbers the faster they got but now there seem to be quite few different i7 processors. What gives?

Dentafrice

What is the difference between an AMD 3.1gh quad core and an i7 3.4 quad core? (besides .2gh) Do they both make roughly the same number of ones and zeros? I'm confused by the "i" core designations. It used to be that they gave processors bigger numbers the faster they got but now there seem to be quite few different i7 processors. What gives?
I don't think the AMD has this but I could be wrong:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html

racershawn

not to start more stuff ...but wow!!! 2days into my new imac and it is like a different world... It is seamless... everything has been a breeze to setup and fusion4 let me install windows then i installed flexi... with NO issues so far ... the track pad is amazing!!! totally the way to go!!... thanks for everyone's impute... I am using my very kick but PC to type this before I retire it and it feels like my old tsr80.........................

Thanks,
Shawn

racershawn

a quick pic as i setup ... i also went all the way and got itv and a time machine much faster conection speed and range

Attachments

• new imac.jpg
    new imac.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 81

JoshLoring

I missed all the good stuff but figured is give my 2 cents.

The video gaming industry is PC dominate for one reason. SPEED. Take into account the the fastest video cards are for pcs.

Then. Look where photoshop and illustrator are progressing their software. Towards video processing of data.

Ask.. Why? Because its faster that way.

So. Why not go with what the gamers use? Twacked out overclocked PCs.

Just sayin....

J

john1

I missed all the good stuff but figured is give my 2 cents.

The video gaming industry is PC dominate for one reason. SPEED. Take into account the the fastest video cards are for pcs.

Then. Look where photoshop and illustrator are progressing their software. Towards video processing of data.

Ask.. Why? Because its faster that way.

So. Why not go with what the gamers use? Twacked out overclocked PCs.

Just sayin....

:thumb:

Mac's look good and all but you really can't compare the speed of them with a PC built for the same amount. It's all personal preference really though.

I couldn't be happier with my i7 quad core with 16 gigs of ram with a 1 gig video card. Cost me under $1800 with a new monitor. I have a friend who has a new iMac and it takes him longer than i think it should just to open a simple Adobe program like Illustrator. Mine, opens every Adobe app up instantly, under 2 seconds. That's just a basic everyday task that lags where it shouldn't IMO

signmeup

Mine, opens every Adobe app up instantly, under 2 seconds. That's just a basic everyday task that lags where it shouldn't IMO
Good Lord!! It takes my computer 15 seconds to open photoshop or Illustrator!

What do you do with all that extra time?

rjssigns

I understand the whole Mac vs. PC debate. It is like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge. But here is my to cents. Use a Mac for it's intended purpose, design. Then upload the file to your PC RIP server. Also to throw a little gas on this fire Macs are expensive because they utilize S-IPS displays. You sit in front of a monitor for many hours a day why not use a good one? I never hear people comparing their PC displays to Macs. Here is another cup of gas on the inferno, build a kick butt PC then add an equivalent sized S-IPS display and see what the total is. I am not trying to wet on anybody's picnic charcoal just want to look at everything.

Speedwise: I have a 24" iMac Duo-Core 2.8Ghz with 4gigs and it opens PS to a working state in 10 seconds.(full file access etc..)

hmm.....methinks I opened a can'o'worms here:rolleyes: (flame if you must I won't take it personal)

signmeup

Use a Mac for it's intended purpose, design.

How does one design stuff with a MAC? (or a PC for that matter)

I design stuff with my mind. I use the computer to draw it out so I can communicate my design to other people.

I use Corel Draw, Illustrator and an old CAD drawing program to communicate my designs to others. Heck... sometimes I even use a pencil.

Last edited: