• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking about going to the apple side

CES020

Can you honestly tell me that you don't beleive that there is a great number of people who buy Mac (or any Apple product) because of the hype or feeling of pride, status, superiority, or like that they get from owning a Mac? This may not be you, and if it isn't, please don't feel like that statement was meant for you. It was not pointed at everyone, but it was pointed at someone.

Can you honestly tell me any other aspect of consumer products, including food, that doesn't have the same situation, yet no one mentions it?

Can you honestly tell me that people don't experience this everywhere else in life, but for some reason, it's not okay to transfer those same actions onto a computer?

I've seen people on here bash Mac's for being overpriced and not worth it, then, they go on in other threads talking about how they spent money on something else that they liked and they bought the more expensive product.

All I'm saying is have some consistency. If you think Mac's are overpriced and not worth it and nothing more than a status symbol, then stop drinking $10 a 6- pack beer, stop drinking coffee from Starbucks, stop buying Abobe products, etc, etc, etc. Just be consistent. That's what I'm saying.

If you want to drink your Starbucks coffee, or drive your BMW, then let someone else use the Mac without saying a word. It's really that simple. Be consistent (I'm not suggesting you aren't consistent, but many in "haters" aren't ).

SignBurst PCs

Can you honestly tell me any other aspect of consumer products, including food, that doesn't have the same situation, yet no one mentions it?

Can you honestly tell me that people don't experience this everywhere else in life, but for some reason, it's not okay to transfer those same actions onto a computer?

I've seen people on here bash Mac's for being overpriced and not worth it, then, they go on in other threads talking about how they spent money on something else that they liked and they bought the more expensive product.

All I'm saying is have some consistency. If you think Mac's are overpriced and not worth it and nothing more than a status symbol, then stop drinking $10 a 6- pack beer, stop drinking coffee from Starbucks, stop buying Abobe products, etc, etc, etc. Just be consistent. That's what I'm saying.

If you want to drink your Starbucks coffee, or drive your BMW, then let someone else use the Mac without saying a word. It's really that simple. Be consistent (I'm not suggesting you aren't consistent, but many in "haters" aren't ).

I can agree with you there. For the record, I don't believe that I have ever said Macs are too expensive, talked about my BMW, coffee, or beer. If I ever try and convince you that you need a lifted FJ Cruiser that sucks gas like no other, please bash me with a big stick.

Dentafrice

I can't stand it when someone tells me why their ANYTHING is better than mine, yet they have no clue what they are talking about.

I honestly think this right here sums up your whole philosophy, 100%. You just said it. You can't stand that ANYONE says ANYTHING is better than yours, so you get butthurt and make rebuttal comebacks.

It's like a kid on the playground. He brings his new Nerf gun and brings it in and says it's better than your Dollar General brand Nerf gun that jams all the time, and you start getting all mad and start acting like a kid.

You're not understanding this and you never will because that is your mental pattern.

I tell you that my Kia Sorento is better than your BMW. They get us there in the same fashion to the same place... yet, your BMW is a bit more comfortable, has a bit more features, a higher price tag, and the little circle with the fancy name.

My Mac gets my work done. It has a bit more features than my PC, a higher price tag, a better design.. and the little Apple with the fancy name.

• Multi-Swipe
  • Internal Facetime/iChat [no.. MSN messenger does count, it's a bloated piece of crap]
  • Automator [no... task scheduler does not count]
  • Time Machine
  • Parallels/Bootcamp that runs Windows out of the box. See Windows run OS X out of the box.

Plus the out of the box experience. It just shows you that every single thing in that computer is thought out. The little pull tabs on the huge iMac to get it out of the box. The little pieces of clear plastic that holds your tiny manual together. The little Apple stickers.

Getting my PC out of the box was like opening up a huge paperweight or piece of furniture and figuring out which piece went where..

Especially turning it on. Mac boots up, within a few seconds you're to your setup screen, select a username, keyboard, mouse, network, and you're off to the races.

Windows needs to know everything from the man to the moon and still wants you to sign up for an internet account through Earthlink. :rock-n-roll:

Either way. It's not your fault. It's just how you were wired. You get mad when someone says their toy is better than your toy.. and you can't argue with that.

You said it yourself.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I can't stand it when someone tells me why their ANYTHING is better than mine, yet they have no clue what they are talking about.

I honestly think this right here sums up your whole philosophy, 100%. You just said it. You can't stand that ANYONE says ANYTHING is better than yours, so you get butthurt and make rebuttal comebacks.

Partially quoting someone out of context and twisting it to your own ends is shameful. You need to slap yourself upside the head for that.

SignBurst PCs

It's like a kid on the playground. He brings his new Nerf gun and brings it in and says it's better than your Dollar General brand Nerf gun that jams all the time, and you start getting all mad and start acting like a kid.

You're not understanding this and you never will because that is your mental pattern.

I tell you that my Kia Sorento is better than your BMW. They get us there in the same fashion to the same place... yet, your BMW is a bit more comfortable, has a bit more features, a higher price tag, and the little circle with the fancy name.

My Mac gets my work done. It has a bit more features than my PC, a higher price tag, a better design.. and the little Apple with the fancy name.

• Multi-Swipe
  • Internal Facetime/iChat [no.. MSN messenger does count, it's a bloated piece of crap]
  • Automator [no... task scheduler does not count]
  • Time Machine
  • Parallels/Bootcamp that runs Windows out of the box. See Windows run OS X out of the box.

Plus the out of the box experience. It just shows you that every single thing in that computer is thought out. The little pull tabs on the huge iMac to get it out of the box. The little pieces of clear plastic that holds your tiny manual together. The little Apple stickers.

Getting my PC out of the box was like opening up a huge paperweight or piece of furniture and figuring out which piece went where..

Especially turning it on. Mac boots up, within a few seconds you're to your setup screen, select a username, keyboard, mouse, network, and you're off to the races.

Windows needs to know everything from the man to the moon and still wants you to sign up for an internet account through Earthlink. :rock-n-roll:

Either way. It's not your fault. It's just how you were wired. You get mad when someone says their toy is better than your toy.. and you can't argue with that.

You said it yourself.

Really? That is what you got out of that? I see, we are out of real arguments and points, so we are going into my personality. Sweet. I guess that you are at the end of your rope.

It also looks like you have resorted to taking my quote out of context and removing the words that you don't find convenient. I have no problem with someone saying their ANYTHING is better than mine if they can at least backup their comments with something other than "it just is". I can respect other people's rational arguments and agree to disagree. I just have a hard time respecting ignorance. If you are not ignorant of the reasons that you believe that your ANYTHING is better, then you are good with me.

Your argument really doesn't hold water with me. I can and have experienced a Mac, I just don't care for it. It doesn't fit me personally. I don't own the General Store Nerf gun. I own the shiny, super duper water blaster with 16 individual cannons and I am not envious of any toy on this playground. I believe that my posts are directed more at a portion of the Mac user-base than the computer itself. Just because I don't care for it, doesn't mean it isn't a good product. It is funny, I don't know that I have detracted from the Mac computer in my posts. If anything, I have just offered the notion that it isn't BETTER than all PCs.

Dentafrice

Really? That is what you got out of that? I see, we are out of real arguments and points, so we are going into my personality. Sweet. I guess that you are at the end of your rope.

It also looks like you have resorted to taking my quote out of context and removing the words that you don't find convenient. I have no problem with someone saying their ANYTHING is better than mine if they can at least backup their comments with something other than "it just is". I can respect other people's rational arguments and agree to disagree. I just have a hard time respecting ignorance. If you are not ignorant of the reasons that you believe that your ANYTHING is better, then you are good with me.

Your argument really doesn't hold water with me. I can and have experienced a Mac, I just don't care for it. It doesn't fit me personally. I don't own the General Store Nerf gun. I own the shiny, super duper water blaster with 16 individual cannons and I am not envious of any toy on this playground. I believe that my posts are directed more at a portion of the Mac user-base than the computer itself. Just because I don't care for it, doesn't mean it isn't a good product. It is funny, I don't know that I have detracted from the Mac computer in my posts. If anything, I have just offered the notion that it isn't BETTER than all PCs.
That's the whole problem... you say that Macs are not BETTER than PCs.. (although Macs are personal computers..), you are saying that Windows is better than OS X, with no reasons.. other than you just didn't like it.

There's no fact here like you are implying.. either you put them on an equal table and say you just prefer one instead of the other, or you'll still be in the same boat.

SignBurst PCs

That's the whole problem... you say that Macs are not BETTER than PCs.. (although Macs are personal computers..), you are saying that Windows is better than OS X, with no reasons.. other than you just didn't like it.

There's no fact here like you are implying.. either you put them on an equal table and say you just prefer one instead of the other, or you'll still be in the same boat.

I have never said that Windows is BETTER than OSX. I simply said that I preferred Windows UI and I did list reasons why. I believe that my whole intention has been to put them on equal ground.

Where did I say that Windows was better than OSX? I think that is just what you took from my posts, not what I actually posted.

SignBurst PCs

Casey... you are arguing with a fool.

I don't know that he is a fool. I just don't like someone putting words in my mouth. He has the right to like whatever he wants and I think that he know why he like his Mac and is not one of the people that I am talking about. I just have to wonder why he likes twisting my words into something they are not.

Dentafrice

I own the shiny, super duper water blaster with 16 individual cannons and I am not envious of any toy on this playground.

-- That's what made me think you were implying that Windows is better.

But if your intention was to put them on equal ground, than I apologize as I took your post the wrong way and your argument was right the whole time, which after reading back I think it was.

Apologies for the misinterpretation.

SignBurst PCs

I own the shiny, super duper water blaster with 16 individual cannons and I am not envious of any toy on this playground.

-- That's what made me think you were implying that Windows is better.

But if your intention was to put them on equal ground, than I apologize as I took your post the wrong way and your argument was right the whole time, which after reading back I think it was.

Apologies for the misinterpretation.

No worries here at all. I appreciate that you are passionate about your opinion. I just didn't want to be misunderstood in my position. I believe that when threads start to take an emotional turn, it becomes very easy to read something that isn't really there. I know that I have been guilty of that.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
The only reason I keep the Windows machines around is for my custom software I wrote for them, by hand.

[Slight hijack]

Just wondering what you mean when you say you wrote some software by hand.

Does that mean you used a pencil and paper?

Technically, isn't all software written by hand, as you call it?

Was it necessary to add that embellishment?

[Slight hijack/]

Dentafrice

No worries here at all. I appreciate that you are passionate about your opinion. I just didn't want to be misunderstood in my position. I believe that when threads start to take an emotional turn, it becomes very easy to read something that isn't really there. I know that I have been guilty of that.
I think that's what happened. I agree, when it does take an emotional turn thats when the lines spread apart and things that aren't really there start affecting our speech.

Dentafrice

[Slight hijack]

Just wondering what you mean when you say you wrote some software by hand.

Does that mean you used a pencil and paper?

Technically, isn't all software written by hand, as you call it?

Was it necessary to add that embellishment?

[Slight hijack/]
No.. is making a website with a WYSIWYG editor the same was writing the code in an IDE? No.

Is designing in Visual C# the same as writing a DLL? No. Is creating something in a database explorer the same as typing the SQL by hand? Is creating the application yourself the same as using a pre made engine? No.

That's why I added that in there. Some software developers out there don't do it "by hand". They don't know a lick about raw code and consider Yahoo! Pipes or Google App engine to be software engineers.

Anyways.

J

john1

Can you honestly tell me that you don't beleive that there is a great number of people who buy Mac (or any Apple product) because of the hype or feeling of pride, status, superiority, or like that they get from owning a Mac?

That was my reason a few times i considered a Mac. It seems so glossy, smooth, sufficicent etc but from a sign shop perspective it's just not cost effective IMO. While someones out paying $2000 for a mid level iMac for example, You can build a high end PC for much less that will put that iMac to shame with ease. Its all user preference. I just cringe when i heard how much someone i knew paid for their iMac and then seen the performance compared to mine on simple everyday tasking.

Theres a few guys on here who said they use 100% Macs in their shop, that's great that you can do that but for me i wouldn't want to go all Mac then have to install windows on my Mac because that's kinda defeating the purpose to doing the switch if you ask me.

CES020

That was my reason a few times i considered a Mac. It seems so glossy, smooth, sufficicent etc but from a sign shop perspective it's just not cost effective IMO. While someones out paying $2000 for a mid level iMac for example, You can build a high end PC for much less.

And you can get coffee for less than $4 a cup, what's your point?