• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking about going to the apple side

J

john1

I think his point was: if you can get a $2 cup of coffee that taste just as good if not better than the $4 cup, wouldn't you?

:thumb:

It's all personal preference as i stated. It's ok, calm down.

Not sure where your getting coffee at for $4 a cup but it better be damn good!

CES020

I think his point was: if you can get a $2 cup of coffee that taste just as good if not better than the $4 cup, wouldn't you?

That's exactly my point above. People pay $4 for coffee every day, they pay $10 for a six pack of "premium" beer. That seems to be perfectly fine and justified in their minds, but if it's a computer, then all bets are off and there is NO circumstance that it would be acceptable. It's acceptable to plop down the cash for a BMW, when, in fact, a 1983 Yugo will take you on the same road, to the same place and costs less. So what's the point of having a BMW? The people that do, like them. It's their opinion and their preference. Just like my computer.

Just because my computer isn't the same as yours and didn't cost the same as yours doesn't make me stupid, it makes me different. That's the point some of you can't seem to understand.

J

john1

That's exactly my point above. People pay $4 for coffee every day, they pay $10 for a six pack of "premium" beer. That seems to be perfectly fine and justified in their minds, but if it's a computer, then all bets are off and there is NO circumstance that it would be acceptable. It's acceptable to plop down the cash for a BMW, when, in fact, a 1983 Yugo will take you on the same road, to the same place and costs less. So what's the point of having a BMW? The people that do, like them. It's their opinion and their preference. Just like my computer.

Just because my computer isn't the same as yours and didn't cost the same as yours doesn't make me stupid, it makes me different. That's the point some of you can't seem to understand.

This is where things get debatable, when Mac fans think they are "different". Hell isn't me or anyone having a PC "different" from people who have Apple computers? So why do Apple users think they are on top of the "different" list? Because of a tag line they had in the 80's and 90's that was "Think Different"? I'll make a computer made out of a cardboard box and say i am "different" and that means nothing lol

Point is, we aren't talking about a yugo or a bmw, we are talking about people spending dollars wisely and building a lightning fast design/rip PC for the amount you can buy a pre-packaged Apple computer that wouldn't even be half as fast shows wise spending done the best way if you ask me.

It's cool some have money to throw away for a name, slower performance and a i'm different attitude. I want the best bang for my buck because if i am going to do something like a new computer purchase, I don't want to have to upgrade it every year or not be able to upgrade it easily.

Let's take a $1500 PC build and put it up against a $1500 Apple computer. The PC i have my peanuts on. But but, you can only get a X fast Mac for $1500....Not my problem.

Gees.

:popcorn:

CES020

I find it interesting that a guy that just was on the verge of updating his entire operation with Mac's, is now saying how Mac's aren't worth the money.

Do you have one? Do you own one? Have you used a NEW one on a daily basis? Then exactly how does that qualify you to tell someone anything isn't worth it? Are you using a Mac with OSX Lion on it? What? No? You're not? So it's not worth it then? Gee, I love taking my computer advice from someone that's only seen one side of the equation.

What the heck difference does it make to you or anyone else what I'm typing on? What difference does it make what I drew my graphic on to YOU? Why do you care SOOOOO much what I use in MY business?

Let me use what I want and shut the pie hole. You don't like what I use? Then buy my business out, change the computers to what you want them to be and move on. Otherwise, it's none of your business.

Like I said, go get in your overpriced car, and it's all good. It's okay to spend too much on a car, but not a computer. I think I'm starting to understand.

J

john1

I won't shut my pie hole because Apple fanatics that act like yourself are hilarious. Is Apple giving you a cut for what your saying?

Yes i was just thinking about updating to Macs before i did research to withinstand to not do it. They are more money, slower and you can build a top of the line PC (like i did) for the cost of the low level iMac.

I have a Apple iPhone which i love but i still wouldn't buy a Apple computer after doing the research i did because it's not cost effective.

I have had a Apple in the past, about 3 years ago (here we go with how they are so much better now but at the time were so good) and i didn't like it for what i was doing. I had already had all PC based software and upgrading would have been too expensive. I didn't want to use parallels or whatever they are using now because why switch to Apple to use Windows on it? It's totally stupid.

Nobody ever said they cared what your typing on, we are talking about realistic facts, not bragging rights or "different" feelings.

I still don't understand why your comparing a car or coffee to this COMPUTER DEBATE. I have a $28000 (back in 08 it was) car because it's what i wanted, had the features i wanted and it runs great. Yes a yugo that cost $1500 would have gotten me to point a and b but that's about all it would do and i would always have to worry about it breaking down and lagging :) (pun to the pinwheel of death from Apple and it's slow opening of files and design programs)

Dentafrice

Actually, Think Different is grammatically incorrect. Think Differently.
Just always bugged me.
Not really, is "Think Big" incorrect too? No.. it's allowed for effect.

Either way, Merriam-Webster Online cites "different" as an adverb dating back to 1744 along with it being a noun, so technically.. it is correct.

"Think Different" refers to what TO think, as opposed to how to think.

It's like the difference between "Do Good" and "Do Well" where the "Do Good" is referring to performing good deeds and "Do Well" means to perform an action successfully.

Either way, there's a story behind it.. and "technically" it is correct.

signmeup

I'll put my brand new $550 PC up against anyone's brand new $550 mac any time.:wink:

BTW... A six pack of plain old regular beer is more than $10 up here. (I've never bought "premium" beer) I can get a decent cup o' joe for about a buck though. Anyone who pays $4 for a cup of coffee needs a smack up side the head. (IMHO)

J

john1

All in all, it's really a person preference on wether you buy folgers coffee to starbucks, pc computer or apple computer and the list goes on.

I don't want anyone with a apple computer or pc to think they are dominate over the other i just see things as cost effective and go with the best choice when i compare numerous things together.

I hope everyone doesn't bash one another for having a different computer type than another and we can all get along.

I'm serious too, guys/gals.

Dentafrice

No, you are wrong. I am surrounded by educated grammar nazis who will back me up.
Is nothing wrong with this company?
You tell me how it is wrong then? After "think" it requires an adverb such as differently.. but different is also an adverb, how's it wrong?

Think Differently = Correct
Think Different = Correct

(Verb) (Adverb)

Both are correct. Thanks.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/different?show=1&t=1321557969

----

I love how your whole comeback is saying that you are educated.

Joe Diaz

So basically you have established that spending extra for a Mac is a status thing and really doesn't have much to do with performance. Yeah we kind of already knew that. I don't think you will get much of an argument against that. I personally don't have a problem with people spending extra money for superficial reasons. I own a sports car, yet I don't do "sports" in it so I could have saved several thousands buying a small toyota that would have done just as good of a job getting me from point A to point B, but I bought it because it was a sports car dammit. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the point YOU are missing is most other people don't care if you bought a Mac because of superficial reasons.. It's your money. The problem is and I think the reason why people have a problem with some Mac users (notice I said some Mac users not Apple itself) is when they start trying to justify their purchase by making false claims, like it's better for design work, etc....

You are more comfortable with the OS? you like the way it looks? you have had great luck with them in the past?... Great! I can dig that. But don't pretend that extra $1000 -$2000 for basically the same machine but in a different box, some how gets a you better performing machine.

Back to your examples though... People tend to not give a crap when people spend extra money on coffee or premium beer, because people that spend extra on those goods usually don't brag about how superior their choice was or give people who saved money by purchasing a lower cost brand crap. If they did, there is a word for what they are.... Douchebag.

WildWestDesigns

I think the point YOU are missing is most other people don't care if you bought a Mac because of superficial reasons.. It's your money. The problem is and I think the reason why people have a problem with some Mac users (notice I said some Mac users not Apple itself) is when they start trying to justify their purchase by making false claims, like it's better for design work, etc....

Thank you. That's my personal issue with it. Now I will mention money too, but that's usually in threads were people are thinking about switching over and they wanted the pros as well as the cons.

Oh and I will actually bring up that very thing with buying an SL600 versus a decently made and priced sedan or even sports car. As to coffee, I despise the stuff period, but I will take mom and the ole ball and chain to Starbucks and they get a real kick of having me order and using all those funky terms.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
My preference is the Mac for the following reasons.. 90% for the operating system. 10% for the incredible product design and details that make their desktop and laptop look IMO better. However the cheesegrater Macpro 2007 desktop that I own has looked the same since they were introduced in 2006. Wow that is a long time. It is a classic but I sure wish they would update. Smaller form factor but upgradeable. I would never get an imac due to it's all in one design. There are rumors that this design/form may get discontinued or hopefully just re-engineered into something else

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Comparing similar cups of coffee that cost $2 and $4 and equating that to comparing an 83 Yugo with a new BMW is ridiculous.

But if you want to... yeah, I will agree that a new Mac is a better computer than a mid-eighties PCjr.