• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking about going to the apple side

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
You tell me how it is wrong then? After "think" it requires an adverb such as differently.. but different is also an adverb, how's it wrong?

Think Differently = Correct
Think Different = Correct

(Verb) (Adverb)

Both are correct. Thanks.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/different?show=1&t=1321557969

----

I love how your whole comeback is saying that you are educated.

Your English comprehension lacks. David did not say he was educated. He said, in fact, that he was surrounded by educated people who would back him up.

This makes me wonder if you just skim what other people write and twig on to certain words bereft of the context they may be in.

On the subject of English, good sir, there is only one authority when it comes to the language. And that is the Oxford Dictionary -- which I will now quote from:

different

Pronunciation:/ˈdɪf(ə)r(ə)nt/
adjective

• 1 not the same as another or each other; unlike in nature, form , or quality:you can play this game in different ways
    the car’s different from anything else on the market
  • informal novel and unusual:try something deliciously different
  • 2 distinct; separate:on two different occasions
Phrases

different strokes for different folks

proverb different things appeal to different people.

Derivatives

differently

adverb

differentness

noun

You will notice that different is not shown to be an adverb.

English is the language of the English people and the keepers of that language are the folks at Oxford University that produce and update the Oxford Dictionary. Any otherwise broadening of a definition by any other agency is simply a perversion of the pure.

It might be 'Merican, but it's not English.

David Wright

Your English comprehension lacks. David did not say he was educated. He said, in fact, that he was surrounded by educated people who would back him up.

This makes me wonder if you just skim what other people write and twig on to certain words bereft of the context they may be in.

On the subject of English, good sir, there is only one authority when it comes to the language. And that is the Oxford Dictionary -- which I will now quote from:

You will notice that different is not shown to be an adverb.

English is the language of the English people and the keepers of that language are the folks at Oxford University that produce and update the Oxford Dictionary. Any otherwise broadening of a definition by any other agency is simply a perversion of the pure.

It might be 'Merican, but it's not English.

Thanks for the research.

Anyone remember Ibm's "Think". That one could be dissected also, but as in any advertising slogan grammar is not as important than the efficacy of the ad program.

(tee hee, I said efficacy)

CES020

So basically you have established that spending extra for a Mac is a status thing and really doesn't have much to do with performance. Yeah we kind of already knew that. I don't think you will get much of an argument against that. I personally don't have a problem with people spending extra money for superficial reasons. I own a sports car, yet I don't do "sports" in it so I could have saved several thousands buying a small toyota that would have done just as good of a job getting me from point A to point B, but I bought it because it was a sports car dammit. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the point YOU are missing is most other people don't care if you bought a Mac because of superficial reasons.. It's your money. The problem is and I think the reason why people have a problem with some Mac users (notice I said some Mac users not Apple itself) is when they start trying to justify their purchase by making false claims, like it's better for design work, etc....

You are more comfortable with the OS? you like the way it looks? you have had great luck with them in the past?... Great! I can dig that. But don't pretend that extra $1000 -$2000 for basically the same machine but in a different box, some how gets a you better performing machine.

Back to your examples though... People tend to not give a crap when people spend extra money on coffee or premium beer, because people that spend extra on those goods usually don't brag about how superior their choice was or give people who saved money by purchasing a lower cost brand crap. If they did, there is a word for what they are.... Douchebag.

Joe I think you and I are unable to communicate via forums. Why? Because now what you have done is made it look like my examples show one owns something for superficial reasons, when in fact, what I was highlighting is the exactly point of view against the Mac. The argument that some of you make is that it IS a status and superficial purchase and nothing more. What I was doing (and you missed) is highlight that IF that were one's beliefs, then it should comply to all parts of their life, not just computers.

It's not MY view at all that it's a superficial purchase. Go back and reread what I wrote and why I wrote it. It was to illustrate how stupid the argument against people buying a Mac is. Then you go and pick up and think you've uncovered some hole in my logic that proves me wrong, when in fact, I was illustrating the logic some of you use against the Mac.

That's hilarious.

So you wasted your money on a sports car, did you? What a waste. That was stupid. Sports cars are dumb and a waste of money. They don't do anything my pick up truck won't do. That sure was one of the stupidest decisions you could have ever made. What's the purpose? So you can get to 55 faster than me? So you can look cool doing it?

You bought it because you wanted it and you liked it. Nothing wrong with that. Same logic goes into people buying a computer.

I'll challenge you to find in any one of my posts where I said a Mac was better for drawing than a PC.

Joe Diaz

Joe I think you and I are unable to communicate via forums. Why? Because now what you have done is made it look like my examples show one owns something for superficial reasons, when in fact, what I was highlighting is the exactly point of view against the Mac. The argument that some of you make is that it IS a status and superficial purchase and nothing more.
Opinion noted. But I propose the problem isn't my communication skills, but rather your reading or reasoning skills. I never said people buy a mac for status or superficial reasons and nothing more. You made up the "nothing more" part. The reason people buy a mac is to buy a computer.... The reason they spend an extra (x) amount to buy a Mac rather than a similar performance PC is superficial. And really you made that point in your earlier analogy. I just agreed with it.

And for the record you never seem to have a problem with how I communicate on the forum unless you disagree with what I'm saying. That's kind of weird huh?

It's not MY view at all that it's a superficial purchase. Go back and reread what I wrote and why I wrote it. It was to illustrate how stupid the argument against people buying a Mac is. Then you go and pick up and think you've uncovered some hole in my logic that proves me wrong.

No I think you just misunderstand the argument. It isn't an argument against people buying macs. It's the argument against the idea that Macs cost more because they perform better.

So you wasted your money on a sports car, did you? What a waste. That was stupid. Sports cars are dumb and a waste of money. They don't do anything my pick up truck won't do. That sure was one of the stupidest decisions you could have ever made. What's the purpose? So you can get to 55 faster than me? So you can look cool doing it?
Yeah pretty much. That's cool if you feel that way and your probably right about everything you said. I'm not going to sit here and pretend there weren't superficial reasons for spending extra money. And that was my point. I wish people that spend extra on a Mac could admit that, which I though you were...and I agreed with.

I'll challenge you to find in any one of my posts where I said a Mac was better for drawing than a PC.

I challenge you to find where I said you did. I simply have a problem when anyone says it. If you don't say it, you don't belong to the group I was talking about.

ForgeInc

The reason they spend an extra (x) amount to buy a Mac rather than a similar performance PC is superficial.

Ok...now I'm pulled back in. I can't let that one go. Generalize much Joe?

Please don't lump every single mac user into a category of buying things because they are superficial. It would be the same as a mac user saying something like "the reason people buy PCs is because they are cheap and have no taste" which is obviously totally not true and unfounded.

Comments like the above is why these things start to get personal. It's fine if you think they are overpriced and superficial, doesn't mean EVERYONE thinks like you.

CES020

Joe, my reasoning skills were meant to show how ridiculous the opposite point of view was, and while I was showing how odd a point of view it is was, you agreed with that. You proved my point exactly.

I don't follow your threads, so that's probably why I don't have issues on any other threads. It seems to be perfectly okay for a PC person to say their computer is better, but if I Mac user says their computer is better, then it's not okay. I can draw vector files with Inkscape. Does that mean if I buy Corel I'm wasting my money?

What you haven't, and can't address is why PC lovers can't let someone have a Mac thread without commenting, but yet PC lovers can have 100 threads without ever having a Mac person commenting negatively.

You have to see that as a real, tangible thing that happens on the forum.

I haven't given my opinion on a Mac. Being I'm a new user, I'm in a pretty good place to give an opinion, but I haven't.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Please don't lump every single mac user into a category of buying things because they are superficial. It would be the same as a mac user saying something like "the reason people buy PCs is because they are cheap and have no taste" which is obviously totally not true and unfounded.

Comments like the above is why these things start to get personal. It's fine if you think they are overpriced and superficial, doesn't mean EVERYONE thinks like you.

If I pay $2 for a cup of coffee that is essentially the same as the $4 cup of coffee you buy, then, by definition, the $2 extra you spent is for superficial reasons. There is no getting around that. Now, I don't have a problem if you say that you like the more expensive coffee because you like the logo of the company or maybe because the decor of the shop appeals to you or maybe because the cups have a nicer lid -- none of which have anything to do with the quality of the coffee. That's fine, you go ahead and enjoy those extra things that you paid extra for that are superficial to the quality of the coffee itself.

But, when you begin to say that the extra money you spend on your coffee is because it is better coffee -- when it really isn't -- that's when others will take exception to your claims.

This, in a nutshell, is really all what the PC/Windows people have been trying to say.

Techman

What you haven't, and can't address is why PC lovers can't let someone have a Mac thread without commenting, but yet PC lovers can have 100 threads without ever having a Mac person commenting negatively.

Bullscattology..
There is a "get a mac" jab of some sort on nearly every PC thread..

Joe Diaz

Please read the part right before what you quoted. Specifically this part:
The reason people buy a mac is to buy a computer....
then read the rest of what I wrote. Then calm down and don't take what I said as a personal attack against you, and I think we can find some common ground here. Breathhhh.....

Now, why do you think my use of the word "superficial" is meant as a bad thing. I already said I spent extra money on a the car I wanted for superficial reasons. If people like a similar performing PC over a Mac because of the way it looks, or personal preferences, that too would be superficial. You know surface stuff.

SignBurst PCs

You have to see that as a real, tangible thing that happens on the forum.

I thought that I was out of this one too, but this is ridiculous. I have read many, many PC threads on this very forum (and others) where a Mac owner has piped up about how their Mac is better when no one really asked them.

Please don't kid yourself, this kind of thinking goes both ways.

Joe Diaz

If I pay $2 for a cup of coffee that is essentially the same as the $4 cup of coffee you buy, then, by definition, the $2 extra you spent is for superficial reasons. There is no getting around that. Now, I don't have a problem if you say that you like the more expensive coffee because you like the logo of the company or maybe because the decor of the shop appeals to you or maybe because the cups have a nicer lid -- none of which have anything to do with the quality of the coffee. That's fine, you go ahead and enjoy those extra things that you paid extra for that are superficial to the quality of the coffee itself.

But, when you begin to say that the extra money you spend on your coffee is because it is better coffee -- when it really isn't -- that's when others will take exception to your claims.

This, in a nutshell, is really all what the PC/Windows people have been trying to say.

Yesss thank you. I don't get. how much clearer can we say it?

JoshLoring

Ahahah. This forum is crazy!
Here.. Let me end it

Friends Mac= 15,000$
My custom 64bit PC= 4,500$

Full scale 300 dpi trailer wrap:
His comp- 15 mins to open
Mine- 1 minute to open

So... What's more cost effective and faster? OH.. The PC

And... He still has his slow *** Mac. We bought 2 more PC's.. And still saved more money then his garbage.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Wait now we are comparing coffee to computers? I cannot speak for all Apple owners but I chose Apple for the OS, first and foremost.

Yes apple and PC's use mostly the same internals. So maybe is Apple a cup of coffee in a fancy aluminum cup and PC's are the same coffee in a plastic cup?

Now how do we compare the operating systems? How about this? Windows is coffee in a plastic cup and Apple is tea in an aluminum cup?

They both quench your thirst and make you feel good in some way. Some find tea to be more beneficial, healthy or enjoyable, while others prefer coffee

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Sounds like good marketing to me.
I need to add a line of iBanners, iMags, iStickers & iSigns (if I can get the name away from Doug).

wayne k
guam usa

Joe Diaz

I don't follow your threads, so that's probably why I don't have issues on any other threads.
No, I'm pretty certain we have conversed outside of Mac and PC threads with no issues. I remember. So you must not remember communicating with me unless we are at odds. That hurts man. :omg::wink:

First of all, as others have pointed out that is not true. Second of all the OP said he was thinking about making the switch from PC to Mac. So how is this ONLY a mac thread?

Last edited:

ForgeInc

This statement above is so ridiculous I can't believe it.

Ok then, so you are also saying, if you buy a $4 bottle of 2 buck chuck wine at Trader Joes, and I go and buy a $20 bottle of Wine at Whole Foods, in your twisted logic it is only because of the pretty packaging or a "status" thing? It couldn't POSSIBLY be that the $20 bottle of wine tastes better, and the $2 buck Chuck tastes horrible? So...the ONLY reason I am buying the coffee is for a caffeinated drink, or the wine to get drunk...I couldn't POSSIBLY be buying something more expensive because it tastes better? And if I do choose to buy a $4 cup of coffee or a $20 bottle of wine, is it ONLY because I am trying to be a shallow, superficial elitist?

Your example is horrible. Try another one, since you seem to love this thread and constantly want to tell us all our mac purchases are frivolous and "superficial"

And Joe, I DID read what you said before and after that quote. To be clear, didn't you lump every mac buyer into buying their computer for superficial reasons? Sounds like a sweeping generalization to me? Last time I looked up the definition, it wasn't too flattering a term. Aren't you basically saying: "All mac users choose macs because they look pretty?"

Do you honestly not think that some users simply prefer the operating system, or any other myriad of reasons?

I didn't get offended per se, I just was taken aback you could make such an overarching generalization.

Sheesh, now I'm totally back to watching only. Nothing gets accomplished and now I have to stay 30 minutes later cause I got drawn back in.

It's all Fred's fault for getting the site back up so quick, right Fred?

J

john1

Joe you wasted money on a sports car. I wasted my money on a turbocharged car. Everyone else you wasted money on overpriced coffee. The shops on the forums who charge more than others are a rip off. I'm a asshat who has never touched a Mac.

End of debate.

lol (kidding)