• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

thinking about going to the apple side

Dentafrice

This is an official position of Apple?

Tell me, please, how is a Mac (and by this we really should say Mac OS) any more suitable for design work than any other operating system?

I think we should retire the term Mac OS for confusion purposes.. Mac OS died in 2001 when OS X was released.

In my opinion it's all about the user interface. I prefer my OS X dock vs my Windows task bar at the bottom.

I like the ability to Command + H and hide something or just close the window with Command + W and the ability to pull it back up.

Sure you can tweak and play with Windows like this, but it's just not as effective... it's not out of the box.

At the end of the day it's a personal preference. I like Finder better than Windows Explorer. I like the workflow of OS X vs. my Windows, and I have them both sitting side by side.

SignBurst PCs

I think we should retire the term Mac OS for confusion purposes.. Mac OS died in 2001 when OS X was released.

In my opinion it's all about the user interface. I prefer my OS X dock vs my Windows task bar at the bottom.

I like the ability to Command + H and hide something or just close the window with Command + W and the ability to pull it back up.

Sure you can tweak and play with Windows like this, but it's just not as effective... it's not out of the box.

At the end of the day it's a personal preference. I like Finder better than Windows Explorer. I like the workflow of OS X vs. my Windows, and I have them both sitting side by side.

Hmmm... are you running Windows 7 or any earlier version of Windows next to your Mac? I have used both OSX and Windows 7 and I personally believe that Windows 7 user interface is better and more productive than OSX. I prefer Aero Shake to any keybaord shortcuts. Windows 7 search bar (Start Menu) is 2nd to none in speed finding files or programs. Crap, I hardly ever open my programs list anymore. The "recently used" library in Windows Explorer saves me major time instead of flipping through folders and there are a lot more shortcuts. Windows 7 is all about productivity if you know how to use it, right out of the box.

I had to build me an i7 OSX box a while ago just to compare the two. OSX left me feeling boxed in and bored. I had to install 3rd party EVERYTHING in order to mange life in OSX. I don't care for the dock much either. While the OSX dock is "pretty", it feels gimmicky and I am much more happy with Windows 7 task bar. OSX is jut not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Mike F

For those that like the OSX dock and would like something similar in Windows, I came across this recently on lifehacker... takes some configuring when you first install it (still haven't gotten mine set up the way I want it), but so far I like it. You can remove or add pretty much anything you want to it.

CES020

I don't turn on my computer for a religious experience, but to get crap done.

That's just nonsense and condescending.

You mac haters need to get some consistency in your life. You cry like babies whenever someone mentions they like a mac, then you proceed to act like a 4 year old "My Daddy can beat up your daddy".

Apparently, the hate is so deep it clouds some of your judgement. It apparently is okay to spend too much on a printer because it's got a brand name label on it. It's okay to buy a Summa, even though a Graphtec will cut the same shapes. It's okay to buy a Harley when a Honda will get you to the same places. It's okay to drink Sam Adams rather than Miller. It's okay to buy Illustrator when Corel will do. It's okay to buy a $150 watch when a $20 watch tells the same time. It's all perfectly well and good, and justified in your mind in your day to day lives, but God forbid someone else buy a Mac. Heavens no. That's the one line in the sand that can't be crossed. Apparently it's okay to "waste" money on every other aspect of life, but "wasting" money (your opinion) on a Mac is just something that you can't keep your pie hole shut about. Why not just let people buy and use what they are happy buying and using.

When you are at the stoplight and someone comes up next to you in a Mercedes, do you feel obligated to tell them how stupid they are for spending all that extra money? When someone walks in with a Starbucks coffee, do you scream out "Heck you idiot, if you wanted coffee you should have drank Maxwell House for .75 cents".

No, you don't. But you do it with a Mac. You should really seek some therapy to find out why such a hatred.

Signburst, you don't think people that turn on a Mac do anything but worship their computer? None of them use them to perform their jobs? How sad that came from you.

Get over it people. If someone wants a Mac, let them have a mac without you opening your mouth about it. I think it's really telling that not a single person can say something about a Mac that's good without people standing in line to shoot them down. If I like Pumpkin Pie and you don't, and I post a thread saying "Man, that was some good pie", why do you feel the need to tell me that Pumpkin pie sucks and you don't like it and Coconut pie is far better?

Geez. I'd love to see a thread that mentions Mac's actually run it's coarse without one of the normal suspects trashing them for no reason other than to start an argument.

Dentafrice

Hmmm... are you running Windows 7 or any earlier version of Windows next to your Mac? I have used both OSX and Windows 7 and I personally believe that Windows 7 user interface is better and more productive than OSX. I prefer Aero Shake to any keybaord shortcuts. Windows 7 search bar (Start Menu) is 2nd to none in speed finding files or programs. Crap, I hardly ever open my programs list anymore. The "recently used" library in Windows Explorer saves me major time instead of flipping through folders and there are a lot more shortcuts. Windows 7 is all about productivity if you know how to use it, right out of the box.

I had to build me an i7 OSX box a while ago just to compare the two. OSX left me feeling boxed in and bored. I had to install 3rd party EVERYTHING in order to mange life in OSX. I don't care for the dock much either. While the OSX dock is "pretty", it feels gimmicky and I am much more happy with Windows 7 task bar. OSX is jut not my cup of tea. I don't turn on my computer for a religious experience, but to get crap done.

I have a Windows 7 computer to the right and a Vista to the left, and neither one beats the UX of OS X. Hands down my opinion, and hands down your opinion on the other side of the table.

I call BS on the finding files on Windows 7, how are you speaking that it's faster compared to OS X? Do you have any benchmarks of the same files to support it? Benchmarks of the same hard drives? Benchmarks of the same amount of data on those hard drives? If not.. don't say it's faster when you don't really know if it is, or if it "feels" faster.

Oh yeah, every time I turn on my iMac I get out my daily Apple prayer book.. on.. every time I press a key on my Mac I login and get the exact things done that you do on your PC. Simple is, simple as, simple does.

You may not make a buck off of Apple products like you do Windows, but at the end of the day it's all personal preference, and I can get just as much done on my Mac as you can your PC.

SignBurst PCs

Signburst, you don't think people that turn on a Mac do anything but worship their computer? None of them use them to perform their jobs? How sad that came from you.

Oh come on. There are just so many uneducated statements made about Windows (PCs) from Apple users, that eventually, it gets a little old. "My Mac can do this, and this, and doesn't get this", seriously? I try and not post too many opinionated things here, but lately, I can barely hold in the vomit after I read some posts.

I apologize if I "offended" any Mac users who actually have a clue about their computer and what its advantages and disadvantages really are. I don't care what kind of computer you own, but if you are going to boast about it, I would prefer that you actually know why (or if) it is better than the alternative. I can't stand it when someone tells me why their ANYTHING is better than mine, yet they have no clue what they are talking about.

I have an opinion, an educated one. If you feel that my opinion is condescending, I am sorry. If you are one of the folks that go around telling other people how great your computer is, but have no idea if it is great or why is it great, then maybe I am being condescending. The, "it just is" argument starts to sound a lot like faith or religion to me. And honestly, I think that it is perfectly okay to have a religious experience with your computer and be fanatical about how much you love it, I just choose not to. If you choose to do so, own it, it's OK.

I have had SOOOOO many Mac users tell me that their Mac is "better" for graphic design than any PC and it makes me want to bash them with a big stick. I ask every one of them why they believe that is the case and most of the time I get "because its a Mac" or "my Mac is just better with graphics". Hoooooly cow, that is ignorant. Neither is true. I would rather hear, "because it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside" or "I like the way it looks", at least those are honest and respectable answers. Or how about, "I just like the way it works"? That is OK too. But to go around giving bogus "facts" about the superiority of Mac hardware or superior graphic capabilities is pretty ignorant.

Yes, I have met a handful of Mac users who genuinely know why they like their computers over a PC. But for every one of those people, I meet 10 that don't have a clue and it is usually those that feel that they need to tell everyone around them that they should also buy a Mac. Own your Mac, love your Mac, you have every right to. But please don't spew out bogus reasons that your Mac is "better" than my PC or spew out garbage about what your Mac can do that my PC can't, especially if you don't even know what in the hell my PC can do. Enjoy your computer, don't feel obligated to make me enjoy it too.

SignBurst PCs

I have a Windows 7 computer to the right and a Vista to the left, and neither one beats the UX of OS X. Hands down my opinion, and hands down your opinion on the other side of the table.

I call BS on the finding files on Windows 7, how are you speaking that it's faster compared to OS X? Do you have any benchmarks of the same files to support it? Benchmarks of the same hard drives? Benchmarks of the same amount of data on those hard drives? If not.. don't say it's faster when you don't really know if it is, or if it "feels" faster.

Oh yeah, every time I turn on my iMac I get out my daily Apple prayer book.. on.. every time I press a key on my Mac I login and get the exact things done that you do on your PC. Simple is, simple as, simple does.

You may not make a buck off of Apple products like you do Windows, but at the end of the day it's all personal preference, and I can get just as much done on my Mac as you can your PC.

I agree with most of this. I didn't say "faster" search, did I? I said, "2nd to none", which implies at least equal to. You are right, no benchmarks, just very impressive.

You are right, same results, just different ways of going about it. And in the case of graphic design, same result and same ways of going about it as Photoshop and Illy work the same on both platforms.

As far as me making $$$ on Mac, yes I do. I get plenty of frustrated Mac converts who buy computers from me, just as Apple makes plenty of $$$ off of frustrated Windows users.

I try and stay out of these conversations because it always seems to get heated and personal (on both sides). I try an only speak up when I see false statements being passes off as truth. Unfortunately, reading through this thread jaded me a bit and I said something that I probably shouldn't have. I apologize to all those Mac users who I offended. I will try and stick to the facts.

Dentafrice

I agree with most of this. I didn't say "faster" search, did I? I said, "2nd to none", which implies at least equal to. You are right, no benchmarks, just very impressive.

You are right, same results, just different ways of going about it. And in the case of graphic design, same result and same ways of going about it as Photoshop and Illy work the same on both platforms.

As far as me making $$$ on Mac, yes I do. I get plenty of frustrated Mac converts who buy computers from me, just as Apple makes plenty of $$$ off of frustrated Windows users.

I try and stay out of these conversations because it always seems to get heated and personal (on both sides). I try an only speak up when I see false statements being passes off as truth. Unfortunately, reading through this thread jaded me a bit and I said something that I probably shouldn't have. I apologize to all those Mac users who I offended. I will try and stick to the facts.
Meh. At the end of the day it will always, always, always... no matter which side you're on... come down to personal preference of the UX.

Windows to me, which I've used since 3.0, has always felt chunky in my opinion, cluttered, and always a UX issue, as it hasn't changed much since the good old days at Xerox, and Windows 7 just made it worse in my opinion.

I use all three daily. The only reason I keep the Windows machines around is for my custom software I wrote for them, by hand. As soon as I convert them over, I'll ditch them, they're not useful in my workflow anymore.

It will always be a UX/I preference to anyone and everyone. Simple is, simple as, simple does.

It doesn't matter the hardware, in fact.. screw the hardware, it's UX/I preference any day. Hell, we'll go the Osx86 route and I'll still argue that OS X is better than Windows in my opinion, and it's on my PC.

So at the end of the day, it's not a Mac vs PC debate... that would mean a hardware debate.. it's an OS X vs. Windows debate, and that will never end. You're a Windows guy, I'm a Mac guy.

Mainframe

a quick pic as i setup ... i also went all the way and got itv and a time machine much faster conection speed and range

Don't forget MagicPrefs, it ads some tracking speed to the mouse and it is free,
Default Folder is like 49 bucks, It is an awesome file saving utility that remembers older folders you used. And give the magic mouse a chance, force yourself to use it, you can customize swiping the top and tapping etc. I was surprised how fast I got hooked on the mouse. Enjoy the new setup.

signmeup

So at the end of the day, it's not a Mac vs PC debate... that would mean a hardware debate.. it's an OS X vs. Windows debate, and that will never end. You're a Windows guy, I'm a Mac guy.
Finally! Some else has noticed. It's a lot of fuss over an OS isn't it? And like Kasey said... Illy and Corel work almost exactly the same on either. :wink:

CES020

I don't care what kind of computer you own, but if you are going to boast about it, I would prefer that you actually know why (or if) it is better than the alternative. I can't stand it when someone tells me why their ANYTHING is better than mine, yet they have no clue what they are talking about.

Yes, it would be nice if that could happen, but it can't. Not because there aren't real reasons, but simply because people won't let you voice your reasons without a rebuttal every time you do so.

I could say I like it because of some very simple things, like it has autocorrect built into the OS, so when I'm on a forum, typing an email, or typing a document, it's autocorrecting my spelling (which could be good or bad). Having said that, now we'll hear how Windows users can download something off of a torrent site to do the same thing for free. Mac users aren't allowed to have an opinion, according to some.

I'm a new mac user. My Mac sits about 24" from my PC, followed by a shop full of PC's. I would like to write up my experience and say how the transition has been, what I like, what I don't like, but in the end, it wouldn't matter, because it would just be another thread of the same 6 people saying how Mac's suck and are overpriced.

But to say that you use you Mac to get things done and imply that people on the Mac side don't is just condescending. I use CS5.5 on my Mac every day. I like to think I'm "getting crap done" too. Is my experience on Illustrator different on the Mac than the PC? Not really. I think it's about the same, so if there's not much difference in the user experience in Illustrator on one platform or the other, how can one be so worthless and crappy and unproductive?

Since you like facts, please tell me why me working in CS5.5 on a Mac is such a crap experience that I can't get things done. I'd like to know. Oh, that's what I thought. There isn't a difference, and I can draw the same things in both the PC and the Mac version. I guess I should call my customers today and tell them I can't do anything else for them because my computer doesn't allow me to get things done. However, if they want to come over at 11:00 for a morning worship service, they are welcome to attend. I'll pass the collection plate around to help pay for it.

2972renfro

You mac haters need to get some consistency in your life. You cry like babies whenever someone mentions they like a mac, then you proceed to act like a 4 year old "My Daddy can beat up your daddy".

Apparently, the hate is so deep it clouds some of your judgement. It apparently is okay to spend too much on a printer because it's got a brand name label on it. It's okay to buy a Summa, even though a Graphtec will cut the same shapes. It's okay to buy a Harley when a Honda will get you to the same places. It's okay to drink Sam Adams rather than Miller. It's okay to buy Illustrator when Corel will do. It's okay to buy a $150 watch when a $20 watch tells the same time. It's all perfectly well and good, and justified in your mind in your day to day lives, but God forbid someone else buy a Mac. Heavens no. That's the one line in the sand that can't be crossed. Apparently it's okay to "waste" money on every other aspect of life, but "wasting" money (your opinion) on a Mac is just something that you can't keep your pie hole shut about. Why not just let people buy and use what they are happy buying and using.

When you are at the stoplight and someone comes up next to you in a Mercedes, do you feel obligated to tell them how stupid they are for spending all that extra money? When someone walks in with a Starbucks coffee, do you scream out "Heck you idiot, if you wanted coffee you should have drank Maxwell House for .75 cents".

No, you don't. But you do it with a Mac. You should really seek some therapy to find out why such a hatred.

Get over it people. If someone wants a Mac, let them have a mac without you opening your mouth about it. I think it's really telling that not a single person can say something about a Mac that's good without people standing in line to shoot them down. If I like Pumpkin Pie and you don't, and I post a thread saying "Man, that was some good pie", why do you feel the need to tell me that Pumpkin pie sucks and you don't like it and Coconut pie is far better?

Geez. I'd love to see a thread that mentions Mac's actually run it's coarse without one of the normal suspects trashing them for no reason other than to start an argument.

+1. The other day someone mentioned how much they love Windows 7. Not one Mac user butted in and said how much they thought Windows sucks, yet when a Mac is brought up dozens jump on board to to tell you how stupid you are for buying a mac

"Deposit Please"

Now that racershawn is currently on both sides ...lets simply ask racershawn on his take with Mac osx. It's only fair that we wait a few more weeks so he can have time to learn his new system. :popcorn: .....this will be interesting.

Last edited:

SignBurst PCs

But to say that you use you Mac to get things done and imply that people on the Mac side don't is just condescending. I use CS5.5 on my Mac every day. I like to think I'm "getting crap done" too. Is my experience on Illustrator different on the Mac than the PC? Not really. I think it's about the same, so if there's not much difference in the user experience in Illustrator on one platform or the other, how can one be so worthless and crappy and unproductive?

Since you like facts, please tell me why me working in CS5.5 on a Mac is such a crap experience that I can't get things done. I'd like to know. Oh, that's what I thought. There isn't a difference, and I can draw the same things in both the PC and the Mac version.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Not once did I say that people on the Mac side don't get stuff done. You are twisting my words for your own benefit. I said that I use my computer to get stuff done. I did imply that there are those on the Mac side that choose a Mac, not for its capabilities, but for the way that it makes them feel. I am OK with that, but not on that boat personally. If you don't fit it that mold, why take offense?

"Crap, crappy, and "unproductive" are your words, not mine. I was simply rebutting a post from a Mac user that liked something about his Mac that he believed was missing in Windows and I was starting that similar capabilities exist without having to "tweak" anything and stating that I believe Windows is very much about productivity. Again, you are adding and twisting words to make your point. I have no problem debating or answering your questions, but I cannot comment on something that I didn't say.

CES020

I think your implications were pretty clear. Clear enough that you went back and deleted it from your original post....

"I don't turn on my computer for a religious experience, but to get crap done."

SignBurst PCs

+1. The other day someone mentioned how much they love Windows 7. Not one Mac user butted in and said how much they thought Windows sucks, yet when a Mac is brought up dozens jump on board to to tell you how stupid you are for buying a mac

That may be the case on that particular thread, but I cannot count how many times I have seen "get a Mac" (or similar) in response to a PC related thread. This kind of response exists on both sides. It is just less prevalent now that OSX isn't being compared to a 9 year old OS (XP) anymore and people seem to be having far fewer PC problems.

SignBurst PCs

I think your implications were pretty clear. Clear enough that you went back and deleted it from your original post....

"I don't turn on my computer for a religious experience, but to get crap done."

I deleted my earlier post because it seemed to ruffle YOUR feathers and it was not intended to, nothing more.

Can you honestly tell me that you don't beleive that there is a great number of people who buy Mac (or any Apple product) because of the hype or feeling of pride, status, superiority, or like that they get from owning a Mac? This may not be you, and if it isn't, please don't feel like that statement was meant for you. It was not pointed at everyone, but it was pointed at someone.