• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why you should never second guess what you already know.................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have never been a real fan of any wet methods for applying vinyls except when putting vinyl onto electric faces, then we float them on, literally.

Well, we have some lawyers' buildings to do which have to be lettered by the end of the month. Some legal reasoning by the 31st. Three of them. All of them at least an hour away. We were given all the specs and made all of the vinyl from their specs, which worked out great. However, one of these buildings involved a large window outside..... 82" x 95" and we're lettering about 99% of it. We were told it had to be lettered from the outside as getting to the window from inside was impossible.

We got everything ready and then we discussed last week about the frigid weather coming and decided to give Rapid II a try, since it was designed for glass in totally stoopid temperatures. Got there, cleaned the windows, made our marks and the darn stuff froze before we even got the vinyl to touch the glass. We're talking maybe a 10 second delay from spray time. The frickin' sh!t inside the bottle even froze. Whadafug ??

Now, I know it's God awful conditions to be working in, but our people will do anything I ask.... even stoopid things, but for this weasel p!ss to perform like this just goes to show why this stuff is total crap.

Oh yeah, and while they were there, they found out, we could've lettered this thing from the inside. There is a small credenza in front of the window, but it only covers about 2" of the bottom part of the window.

Made arrangements to go back Friday with reverse cut vinyl and we'll be doing it in the warm.

Anyway.... anyone ever ask about that Rapid II crap...... tell them to ask some of my employees about it. :noway:
Sorry for the rant, but I'm feeling much better now.
Now, for the good part...... I have to figure out a way to charge them for this lost time and vinyl. The lawyers are all Jewish, but the entire staff is Latino. So, English is their second language. I deal with the staff and only have contact with the 'Boys' when decisions on layouts or logos need to be made. They are gonna view this as my mistake and not theirs, since I agreed to do it outside. For what I'm making, I can really afford to soak up 2-1/2 hours of labor and $50 worth of vinyl and weeding. Maybe I'll offer to split it with them.
Here ya go......... RapidTacII32oz.jpg

For fast, easy, quality installation of vinyl graphics with no bubbles. Rapid Tac II recommended for cold weather. Change is good. Back in the day choosing a vinyl film was easy with basically two film types, cast, and calendared. Nowadays things are a little different. Sign and graphics professionals now hove more types of vinyl films to choose from than ever, with more adhesive types as well. Rapid Tac II was developed to work with a wider variety of films such as the economy calendared, intermediate calendared, high performance calendared, metallic, reflective, polyester, mylar and other specialty films). Rapid Tac II promotes bonding faster than the original Rapid Tac application fluid and is ideal for cold weather and glass application. Rapid Tac II is not a replacement for the Original Rapid Tac, and may bond too fast with "Premium Cast" films in warmer conditions. STEP 1. Clean surface thoroughly with Rapid Tac II and a kitchen paper towel. DO NOT USE OTHER CLEANERS OR SOLVENTS. (We do recommend Rapid Prep as a pre-cleaner for surfaces that may have been exposed to wax, silicone, or other suspected contaminants) STEP 1. Clean surface thoroughly with Rapid Tac and a kitchen paper towel. DO NOT USE OTHER CLEANERS OR SOLVENTS. (We do recommend Rapid Prep as a pre-cleaner for surfaces that may have been exposed to wax, silicone, or other suspected contaminants) STEP 2. Spray surface again with Rapid Tac, peel backing off decal and place on wet surface. STEP 3. Position decal and spray top of decal to minimize scratching. Use squeegee to remove fluid, using a good deal of pressure and working from the center out to the edges in all directions.

:thankyou: for listening. Dumb comments are still welcomed.

John Butto

Jewish, latinos, what has that got to do with RapidTac II freezing. I can hear the chatter inside their office, "look at those stupid Anglos trying to put that sign on the windows". Or the "Boys" saying that Gentile is going to try and charge us extra.

CES020

I've used it in the 20's many times. Never once had an issue with it freezing. In their defense, it does say "Cold Weather". Define cold weather. 30? 20? 0? -10? It's a relative measurement.

You're further north than we are and it was freakin' cold, so I'm guessing you're less than 20? Maybe that's just too cold for it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Jewish, latinos, what has that got to do with RapidTac II freezing. I can hear the chatter inside their office, "look at those stupid Anglos trying to put that sign on the windows". Or the "Boys" saying that Gentile is going to try and charge us extra.

The reason was so you'd understand why they aren't gonna understand our reasoning. Although they speak English, that rarely means they understand English and always hide behind ..... No Understand-O.

Also, I didn't want to mislead you.... and have you unnecessarily think the lawyers were also, Latino.

In addition, you can't hear any chatter cause they aren't moved in yet, so none of their people are there yet to create that chattering in your head. Perhaps the climate has frozen your brain and you hear the rattling around in there. Anyway, just carpenters and tech guys running wires.

As for the temperatures.... it's around 14º with a wind chill of around 0º. I got my idea from the many saying they do this all the time with Rapid II in -7º and less..... mostly up in Canada.
R O G E R has mentioned his utubies many times in the past..... and it states about doing it out in 17º without any problems while it's snowing. He goes on to say, it can be colder and it sill will work.

John Butto

Gino, maybe the temp has frozen your Metamucil, but I referred to the "Boys" (lawyers) calling you a Gentile so I realized they were of the Jewish faith and not Latinos. I still don't get the association with them to the freezing of the RapidTac II. And how did you know about the chattering in my head.

Techman

but for this weasel p!ss to perform like this just goes to show why this stuff is total crap.

I call bullscat..

IF its -20 below with a wind chill what the hell do you expect. Geeses .

64 proof liquor freezes at -10°F. 24 proof liquor freezes at 20°F
RT is about 1/4 alcohol. Whatever proof that is I do not care to calculate. But i guess it is around 24 proof.
I know the tempts are hovering down around 10 over there with a wind chill down around -10 so give it a break. Calling it crap???

I just did an install and the temp was 22 and it worked just fine. If it isn't down around 10 over there.. Someone watered down your product. Or it was some HOME MADE weasel **** for sure.

Marlene

Now, for the good part...... I have to figure out a way to charge them for this lost time and vinyl. The lawyers are all Jewish, but the entire staff is Latino. So, English is their second language. I deal with the staff and only have contact with the 'Boys' when decisions on layouts or logos need to be made. They are gonna view this as my mistake and not theirs, since I agreed to do it outside. For what I'm making, I can really afford to soak up 2-1/2 hours of labor and $50 worth of vinyl and weeding. Maybe I'll offer to split it with them.

in all of that, I don't see where you had a signed contract that said you would try to install in winter conditions per customer's request and if all fails, you are not resonsible. why would they be responsible for a job you said you could do and couldn't? why would they split the cost of a failure unless that was agreed to before the job was started? am I missing something? forget the Latino/Jewish info and get to the part where this could be their fault and that they need to pay for at least 1/2

SIGNTIME

I call bullscat..

IF its -20 below with a wind chill what the hell do you expect. Geeses .

64 proof liquor freezes at -10°F. 24 proof liquor freezes at 20°F
RT is about 1/4 alcohol. Whatever proof that is I do not care to calculate. But i guess it is around 24 proof.
I know the tempts are hovering down around 10 over there with a wind chill down around -10 so give it a break. Calling it crap???

I just did an install and the temp was 22 and it worked just fine. If it isn't down around 10 over there.. Someone watered down your product. Or it was some HOME MADE weasel **** for sure.

50 proof or double the percent

Kottwitz-Graphics

I got some for a window application, thinking "Hey, Its made for windows". The graphic that I had to apply was 46" x 56", cut vinyl (2) pieces.

Never again. I applied it, and it never "stuck", and this was in the summer time.

I will only do glass applications dry.

CES020

Just curious, what was the material? I have a customer logo that uses 3 different brands of vinyl to get their color (they refuse to use print and cut), and the oracal sticks like glue using it, the trim and avery both have a tough time sticking with it (at least the product we used).

I used RapidTac and II for 2-3 years when I started out. Never once had a problem with either.

anotherdog

Did you not think to test the rapid tac in cold weather before you drove all the way out there? Whenever I get something new I try it out.

So since you didn't test your equipment, your customer has to pay?

Nothing wrong with that, not a thing. nope.

MikePro

I prefer doing dry glass installs in the winter time...
freezing temps, the vinyl "floats" on its own frozen adhesive. little love with the heat gun and a squeegee, before removing the mask, and ur set!

I am a rapidtac fan, but definitely not in these conditions... no matter what the label says.

Eric H

Wind chill doesn't affect objects it's just how living things feel it. If it's 10 with a -10 wind chill it's still 10 to the window and rt. Not that it makes a big difference it's still freaking cold. Was it a new bottle? Or could have someone refilled it with something else?